watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stockdale to Brighton appears to be done - EDIT... CONFIRMED

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, July 28, 2014, 04:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigalffc

He was one of the few last season to have an attitude worthy of a Fulham shirt. Sad day for me, I wish him well
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

filham

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on July 28, 2014, 06:23:09 PM
God! I know they say football is a game of opinions but really what are some people getting wound up about?

He came over as a nice lad who cared about the teams performances which wasn't hard compared to many of the t@ssers.
He had failed to establish himself over 5 years and while he would have done us a job this season he never looked like he could move up another level.
He deserves a chance to play regularly at a level he can manage, if we have designs on going back up this year or next we need better.  Until we sign someone nobody can say if the replacement is better or worse.
????? But Brighton are likely to be chasing promotion from the Championship , won't we be at the same level ???

Berserker

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

ealex40

This was on the Brighton website:

New Brighton & Hove Albion recruit David Stockdale has told seagulls.co.uk that the ambition shown by manager Sami Hyypia, head of football David Burke and chief executive Paul Barber during initial talks with the club convinced him to make the switch from Fulham.

The new Seagulls goalkeeper said, "It was pretty out of the blue, I was getting ready for the new season when Brighton showed an interest. I only really knew for sure on Saturday, when a fee was agreed and here I am two days later.

"I've had a look around and seen what the club is trying to do. The facilities here, with the training ground and stadium, are state-of-the-art. I spoke to the manager, David Burke and Paul Barber, and they all want to go in one direction and that's the Premier League.

"I already know Antti [Niemi] very well from when he was at Fulham and that is another draw for me: working with someone I know. He was a great goalkeeper when he was playing and I know can learn from him as well.

"Brighton & Hove Albion have got a lot of history, and they've come such a long way in the last five years, and after speaking to everyone at the club, I was delighted to come.

"Everyone spoke about where the club's heading, and the manager said we're a club with Premier League facilities and we're now striving to get there as a team.

"When someone comes to you and says they want you to be a part of that and we're willing to pay a significant fee, and then help you on our way with the facilities and infrastructure, how can you turn down a chance to play at a club like this?

"It's nice for Brighton to show faith in me as a player. They've paid an awful lot of money for me and hopefully I can pay it back and help the club get into the Premier League next year."

Stockdale already has a feel for the area, as it's a regular day out for him, his wife and three children. He added, "I am only half an hour up the M23. So I bring the wife and the kids down here, we really like it here.

"The kids are really excited about the move, and they can't wait to come back to Brighton - but they want to come down for ice cream on the pier rather than the football!"

Stockdale also admitted it was a day of mixed emotions to leave Fulham after six years. "Fulham are a great club with great fans and it shows they've been there for 13 years at the top.

"This is a new chapter in my career, but looking back over the past six years I've met a lot of good friends at the club - so it's a sad moment in that respect, but I'm hoping to go back and say goodbye to those people.

"The fans were brilliant over the past six years. I can't thank them enough and I wish them all the best for the future. I've always got a place for them in my heart." 

Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/stockdale-clubs-ambition-convinced-me-1788517.aspx#3ySv8lBBYMI1zBsF.99

bill taylors apprentice

Good Grief get over it everyone!!!
Like your favourite jumper, its a shame to dump it but its never going to be for best.
He never established himself and never looked the long term answer, hope he plays regularly and has a decent career.
If we have aspirations to do well we need better.

bucksfulham

Quote from: JBH on July 28, 2014, 04:58:59 PM
Apparently Stockers reported back for preseason over weight and out of condition and has been lax in his traininf and attitude sincw he came back so if that is the case then good riddance
Who ate all the pies? If he's stuffing his face at Nando's (which he posted on Twitter) then he's not in the best place for a professional footballer.

rweller86

Quote from: bucksfulham on July 28, 2014, 07:05:19 PM
Quote from: JBH on July 28, 2014, 04:58:59 PM
Apparently Stockers reported back for preseason over weight and out of condition and has been lax in his traininf and attitude sincw he came back so if that is the case then good riddance
Who ate all the pies? If he's stuffing his face at Nando's (which he posted on Twitter) then he's not in the best place for a professional footballer.

A lot of athletes eat at Nandos, not all the time though. Chicken is one of the best things for athletes...

Going every other day, now that would be different!
@rweller

Northern Cottager

Odd decision. looked Destined to be.number one after his run in the side last season. Never really understand Magaths thought process or who we likes.

Aaron

Surely we must be signing a replacement?

I can't imagine Stockdale would want to remain at the club if he's going to be on the bench for another season, particularly as we've just dropped a division.

Maybe nobody has come in for Stek yet and we can't afford to have both of them?

In any event, as much as I love the guy and would have been more than happy to see him in No. 1 the reality is we could sign a better keeper.. I assume Magath feels the same way.

kiwiwaka

Undoubtedly a fantastic bloke and a decent keeper, but easily replaceable. Reckon Stek will leave as well and we'll sign someone as number one and Betts/Joronen as number two I'm guessing.

Wimbledon_White

I am not overly fussed about this to be honest; I admired his passion towards the end of last season and he was a fans favourite for sure, but with three successive managers not rating him (Hughes, Jol and Rene) and then with Magath taking the first possible opportunity to sell him...surely they can't all be wrong?

Did he really manage the back four as well as he could have? Did he really command the box like a Mark Schwarzer (once upon a time) did? I would argue probably not.

A loss for his passion and enthusiasm for sure. Seemingly a really nice bloke too. I wish him all the best and will give him a big round of applause when we play at the Amex in November.

filham

I now have an awful vision of a penalty shoot out at Wembley in the play off final between Brighton and Fulham with Stockdale making the winning save that gives Brighton a premiership place at our expense,

jmh

Quote from: Riverside on July 28, 2014, 06:09:18 PM
Quote from: TheManOnTheBus on July 28, 2014, 06:05:24 PM
Quote from: YoungsBitter on July 28, 2014, 06:01:45 PM
Maybe we are missing the point that of the two keepers Stockdale was the only one we could sell for a price that does not embarrass Ali Mac, they cannot get anywhere near what he paid for Stekelenberg - who as has been pointed out before actually had similar Opta numbers as Stockdale. So with Stockdale going then it actually looks like Joronen or Betinelli who are 21 and 22 respectively may be given a chance, young they may be but they are not teenagers, so them in combination with Stek, thats not a bad situation to have.

Interesting - except Felix seemed last year not to have liked Stek.  Perhaps the bad season last year was a confidence thing and he will get it back... and Felix sees that?

Correct me if I'm wrong: but don't think Stek has featured pre-season yet, right?

Steks hasn't featured in the pre-season
Neither in games or photos
I would be amazed if he starts the season as our GK
I've definitely seen him in at least some of the training photos.  He's another one (like Mitroglou) who doesn't seem to have much leverage to force a move away if that's what he wants, since the past season (or six months in the case of Mitroglou) was a disaster for him and he'd have a hard time finding a high-profile club that wants him.

fulhamben

Quote from: jmh on July 28, 2014, 07:23:00 PM
Maybe we are missing the point that of the two keepers Stockdale was the only one we could sell for a price that does not embarrass Ali Mac, they cannot get anywhere near what he paid for Stekelenberg - who as has been pointed out before actually had similar Opta numbers as Stockdale. So with Stockdale going then it actually looks like Joronen or Betinelli who are 21 and 22 respectively may be given a chance, young they may be but they are not teenagers, so them in combination with Stek, thats not a bad situation to have.

Interesting - except Felix seemed last year not to have liked Stek.  Perhaps the bad season last year was a confidence thing and he will get it back... and Felix sees that?

Correct me if I'm wrong: but don't think Stek has featured pre-season yet, right?

I've definitely seen him in at least some of the training photos.  He's another one (like Mitroglou) who doesn't seem to have much leverage to force a move away if that's what he wants, since the past season (or six months in the case of Mitroglou) was a disaster for him and he'd have a hard time finding a high-profile club that wants him.
i dont think you can say being out injured has been a disaster for mitro. unlucky, but not a disaster
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

jmh

Quote from: fulhamben on July 28, 2014, 07:30:27 PM
Quote from: jmh on July 28, 2014, 07:23:00 PM

Interesting - except Felix seemed last year not to have liked Stek.  Perhaps the bad season last year was a confidence thing and he will get it back... and Felix sees that?

i dont think you can say being out injured has been a disaster for mitro. unlucky, but not a disaster
Hmm...  I guess I get what you mean, I'm just saying that it's been disastrous for him in terms of cultivating any kind of interest in him from other clubs.  Ruiz has boosted his stock with a good World Cup, but if Mitroglou is sold this summer window it would be for a lot less money than he was sold for six months ago.  That's what I mean.  The circumstance I agree is more due to bad luck than anything else.

cookieg

I saw Stockdale training at MP a few Friday nights ago and didn't recognise him as he seemed to have lost weight and looked very agile.

However, Stockdale has had a few managers during his time at Fulham and not one of them has made him number 1. They have obviously seen him every day in training and decided that he wasn't worthy of a starting place long term. I am sure FM knows what he is doing far better than the vast majority of people on here so we have to wait for his decision.

YoungsBitter

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on July 28, 2014, 07:15:52 PM
I am not overly fussed about this to be honest; I admired his passion towards the end of last season and he was a fans favourite for sure, but with three successive managers not rating him (Hughes, Jol and Rene) and then with Magath taking the first possible opportunity to sell him...surely they can't all be wrong?

Did he really manage the back four as well as he could have? Did he really command the box like a Mark Schwarzer (once upon a time) did? I would argue probably not.

A loss for his passion and enthusiasm for sure. Seemingly a really nice bloke too. I wish him all the best and will give him a big round of applause when we play at the Amex in November.
Thats exactly how I feel.
Lets see what happens with Stekelenberg, stays and plays or leaves..
Quark, strangeness and charm

jms

On behalf of FOFERS in Sussex and Brighton, want to wish ol Stockers the best at the Amex. We will be there in November cheering on the whites, but he'll get a special cheer from us lot I'm sure.

glenhodgso

Quote from: cookieg on July 28, 2014, 07:53:08 PM
I saw Stockdale training at MP a few Friday nights ago and didn't recognise him as he seemed to have lost weight and looked very agile.

However, Stockdale has had a few managers during his time at Fulham and not one of them has made him number 1. They have obviously seen him every day in training and decided that he wasn't worthy of a starting place long term. I am sure FM knows what he is doing far better than the vast majority of people on here so we have to wait for his decision.

Neither, of course, did Hull, who were offered him last season when promoted to the Premier League.  My view is that he is a great bloke, but his distribution was awful, he has a poor kick and is a "subbuteo" goal keeper - ie wont come off his line at corners.

I wish him well at Brighton & will cheer loudly when he returns to the Cottage.

We move onwards, and upwards....

HatterDon

Quote from: glenhodgso on July 28, 2014, 10:31:05 PM
Quote from: cookieg on July 28, 2014, 07:53:08 PM

Neither, of course, did Hull, who were offered him last season when promoted to the Premier League.  My view is that he is a great bloke, but his distribution was awful, he has a poor kick and is a "subbuteo" goal keeper - ie wont come off his line at corners.

I wish him well at Brighton & will cheer loudly when he returns to the Cottage.

We move onwards, and upwards....

Everything I've highlighted is true -- except for all of it.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel