Author Topic: Introduce yourselves and explain where are you from, and why Fulham..?  (Read 53070 times)

Offline McBridefan1

• Legend
Re: Introduce yourselves and explain where are you from, and why Fulham..?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 05:25:01 AM »
We the people of the United States gratefully and happily accept the request of one Fineus Finnster McFinn I(the first) to become an American, welcome and congratulations, and maybe even my appologies.

I was born and raised in Lowell Massachusettes, currently reside north of the border (here that means New Hampshire not Canada). I first found the great sport of soccer in '02 when my inlaws, more specifically my brother in law, kept telling me how Portugal were unbeatable and should win the world cup with their "golden generation", so the best I could hope for the tiny american boys was a lucky second place finish. The rest of that story is history. But I immediately became a Brian McBride fan and to a lesser extent a Donavan and Beasley fan as well, since only Brian was making a real impact "over seas" I followed him to Fulham but as I've said I stay because of the friends I've made since being here. It has been one hell of a rollercoaster ride since joining the Fulham faithful, and I know I've made the right choice. I'm not as visable online these days but I never miss a televised game and listen to Gentleman Jim whenever I can.  Although apparently not this month as seeing Nicky Shorey on our squad was a nice surprise for me today, when did that happen?

Offline Vinnieffc

• Legend
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 09:53:51 AM »
Born in Co. Wicklow, Ireland

My cousins are Fulham fans and lived in Lysia St near the ground. They got me into going to the Cottage and I haven't looked back since.

Before (and after) moving to England, I was an Arsenal fan, which was tough as I as playing for Wolves Youths as a lad !! 

Offline MrCheviot

• tjl
  • twitter: @_jeremyr
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 04:40:41 AM »
I'm originally from Rochester, NY, and I've lived in London (Hoxton Sq) & Barcelona and these days I call Brooklyn home.  As a kid I played soccer in one of the ubiquitous youth leagues here in the states, and because I was tall and could really hoof it they stuck me between the posts. I must admit that throughout school my main passion was lacrosse, and I eventually gave that up along with soccer when I had the chance to play junior olympic volleyball year-round.

The short answer to why I support Fulham, along with a number of other dubious choices I've made in my life: "because of a girl."

I started watching European football in college - would come home from class in the afternoon and would find UEFA matches on one of the cable sports channels. I remember being enthralled by the fluidity, the passion, and even John Motson. I was intrigued by the notion that teams like Dynamo Kiev, Galatasaray, Benfica and Ajax came from far away places to compete for trophies and glory, but at the time I didn't really understand the pecking order of continental football or owe any allegiance to a club.

As I was finishing up my degrees in '99-00, I started work at an investment firm. There was a particularly fetching English woman who worked there, 3-4 years older than I, equipped with deep chestnut eyes and sublime accent which did nothing but encourage the flirtatious tension between us. And she was from Fulham.

"Fulham?" I asked. "Never heard of them, but I really enjoy watching European matches on tv."

"We're not very good" she replied, "certainly not good enough to be on the tele. But it's in my blood and recently we've done better..."

I'm not sure if it was the chance to cheer on a not-so-good team (besides the Red Sox, I support the Buffalo teams here in the US and they're pretty awful), if I got caught up in the promotion to the top flight that spring, or if it was simply her smile that did me in. But I had certainly found a European club to call my own.

She moved on to another company before the 00/01 season started and before I was aware how much the team would grow on me, so we never really had a chance to become Fulham mates.. or any type of mate for that matter. I do know how to reach her these days, and will admit to having thoughts of ringing her up and telling her about my trips to the Cottage and to Rome and babbling Fulham nonsense in her ear and letting her know I still follow the team simply because she mentioned it to me one day so many years ago. But as soon as I do I'm confronted with thoughts of a creepy/awkward conversation during which I would have to expose the lasting impression she made on me as a younger man, and I instead resign myself to enjoying all of my wonderful Fulham memories - just the way they are.

"Zamora!! What About that? We have seen some brilliant football from Shakhtar Donetsk tonight, but nothing.. nothing quite as good as that!"

Offline YankeeJim

• cebu
  • Mr Khan listens to my advise on the coming season.
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 01:59:19 AM »
I'm originally from Rochester, NY, and I've lived in London (Hoxton Sq) & Barcelona and these days I call Brooklyn home.  As a kid I played soccer in one of the ubiquitous youth leagues here in the states, and because I was tall and could really hoof it they stuck me between the posts. I must admit that throughout school my main passion was lacrosse, and I eventually gave that up along with soccer when I had the chance to play junior olympic volleyball year-round.

The short answer to why I support Fulham, along with a number of other dubious choices I've made in my life: "because of a girl."

I started watching European football in college - would come home from class in the afternoon and would find UEFA matches on one of the cable sports channels. I remember being enthralled by the fluidity, the passion, and even John Motson. I was intrigued by the notion that teams like Dynamo Kiev, Galatasaray, Benfica and Ajax came from far away places to compete for trophies and glory, but at the time I didn't really understand the pecking order of continental football or owe any allegiance to a club.

As I was finishing up my degrees in '99-00, I started work at an investment firm. There was a particularly fetching English woman who worked there, 3-4 years older than I, equipped with deep chestnut eyes and sublime accent which did nothing but encourage the flirtatious tension between us. And she was from Fulham.

"Fulham?" I asked. "Never heard of them, but I really enjoy watching European matches on tv."

"We're not very good" she replied, "certainly not good enough to be on the tele. But it's in my blood and recently we've done better..."

I'm not sure if it was the chance to cheer on a not-so-good team (besides the Red Sox, I support the Buffalo teams here in the US and they're pretty awful), if I got caught up in the promotion to the top flight that spring, or if it was simply her smile that did me in. But I had certainly found a European club to call my own.

She moved on to another company before the 00/01 season started and before I was aware how much the team would grow on me, so we never really had a chance to become Fulham mates.. or any type of mate for that matter. I do know how to reach her these days, and will admit to having thoughts of ringing her up and telling her about my trips to the Cottage and to Rome and babbling Fulham nonsense in her ear and letting her know I still follow the team simply because she mentioned it to me one day so many years ago. But as soon as I do I'm confronted with thoughts of a creepy/awkward conversation during which I would have to expose the lasting impression she made on me as a younger man, and I instead resign myself to enjoying all of my wonderful Fulham memories - just the way they are.

Dude, call her up and invite her to watch a match with you. If nothing else she'll be good company and worse case, you'll find as all us old gits have done, that you can't go home again. I'd love to be wrong. Good luck.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
 Its that I did and others didn't.

Offline finnster01

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 02:21:58 AM »
Mr Cheviot,

May I suggest something? Life is short, you never know if you will wake up tomorrow. I have learnt the hard way not to take anything for granted on that front. This lady has been on your mind for a long time mate.

Grow some balls and go for it lad. Sort it out and take her to the Cottage. She is a Fulham girl. It would be very Fulhamish for her to say yes. Prime target could even be our second visit ever to Wembley if we can get past the Yids. 

As my old uncle always used to say "unless you ask, the answer will always be no"
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Offline MrCheviot

• tjl
  • twitter: @_jeremyr
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2010, 05:08:12 PM »
Hah.. thanks for the encouragement!! I guess I forgot to include that a) she's married, b) by now she's closer to 40 than 30 and c) I'm quite firmly and happily in a long-term relationship (plans to start ring hunting in a few months). Otherwise I agree with 100% of what you're saying. I'm not a shy guy, & I've historically had no issues endearing myself to the fairer sex.

It's more along the lines of... "Hey, remember me? (A decade ago you'd lean over while we chatted so as to entice me a bit and let me catch a whiff of your perfume.. and boy did I enjoy it!!) Well, I've become a die-hard Fulham supporter because you happened to be from there, and I wanted to see if you were up for talking for bit on how wonderful Roy is and how the lads are doing?"

I guess I could make it less creepy/fawning, and otherwise have no real reason for not dropping her a line. If I were to abscond off to the cottage w/ a woman though, it'd have to be the one I already have.
"Zamora!! What About that? We have seen some brilliant football from Shakhtar Donetsk tonight, but nothing.. nothing quite as good as that!"

Offline McBridefan1

• Legend
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2010, 09:25:16 PM »
She's married and "closer to 40", you're adorable Chevvy... I call that a mark.

Offline YankeeJim

• cebu
  • Mr Khan listens to my advise on the coming season.
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 05:29:53 PM »
MrCheviot,
Why didn't ypu just say you were being voyeuristic? Heck, it's part of being male. McBride for one has never passed up a bathroom window.  :D
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
 Its that I did and others didn't.

Offline GoldCoastWhite

• Legend
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 01:31:47 PM »
I was briefly, but seriously concerned when I read that a man in your circumstances (in a long term relationship) was about to go ring hunting Mr Cheviot. But then I realised you were referring to one of those jewellery type things and I breathed a huge sigh of relief.  ;)

Offline Aussiewhite

• Michael Jackson
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 12:33:52 AM »
Raised in London I was a regular at the Cottage when Johhny Haynes was running around with Mo Cooke and Josh Chamberlain. I got to as many away games as I could afford (which was not too many in those days) including a gut wrenching cup semi final loss to Burnley at Villa Pk. In 1969 I migrated to Australia but have never lost my love for The Whites. I try and ensure any trips back to the old country are timed to enable me to catch a couple of Fulham games. I am up in the middle of the night to view every Fulham game. Most are televised live here, but for the few that are not I always find a live stream somewhere. I will not be denied my Fulham fix!!! COYW - Aussiewhite, Brisbane Australia

Offline Steve_orino

• Legend
  • White & Black: One State at a Time
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 02:14:26 PM »
Raised in London I was a regular at the Cottage when Johhny Haynes was running around with Mo Cooke and Josh Chamberlain. I got to as many away games as I could afford (which was not too many in those days) including a gut wrenching cup semi final loss to Burnley at Villa Pk. In 1969 I migrated to Australia but have never lost my love for The Whites. I try and ensure any trips back to the old country are timed to enable me to catch a couple of Fulham games. I am up in the middle of the night to view every Fulham game. Most are televised live here, but for the few that are not I always find a live stream somewhere. I will not be denied my Fulham fix!!! COYW - Aussiewhite, Brisbane Australia

Fantastic!

Welcome aboard Mr AW - don't be a stranger
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
“My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward.” Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Offline alfie

• cebu
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2010, 07:14:20 PM »
must confess born bred in Essex became Arse supporter just purely it was the first club i was taken to see, remained Arsenal many man years, that is until i started working for Fulham and this bloody club just gets in your blood, now number one for me, but the Arse is still in me (glad i said it that way round)
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Offline McBridefan1

• Legend
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 04:01:17 AM »
must confess born bred in Essex became Arse supporter just purely it was the first club i was taken to see, remained Arsenal many man years, that is until i started working for Fulham and this bloody club just gets in your blood, now number one for me, but the Arse is still in me (glad i said it that way round)

yes what's the old saying? you can take the arse out of the boy but you can't take the boy out of the arse... summit like that. :dft012:

Offline finnster01

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2010, 04:04:14 AM »

yes what's the old saying? you can take the arse out of the boy but you can't take the boy out of the arse... summit like that. :dft012:

I went to catholic school, tell me about it  :034:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Offline McBridefan1

• Legend
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010, 04:26:23 AM »
Yes well the other saying is you can take the arse out of the catholic priest but you can't take the catholic priest out of the ahh... what you've heard this one before?