Author Topic: Introduce yourselves and explain where are you from, and why Fulham..?  (Read 52190 times)

Offline Steve_orino

• Legend
  • White & Black: One State at a Time
Re: Introduce yourselves and explain where are you from, and why Fulham..?
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2010, 02:20:03 AM »
Havin' a rough night...so glad I clicked on this thread!

Steve "speaking of the derry-air" orino
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
“My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward.” Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Offline McBridefan1

• Legend
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 05:21:14 AM »
no no now I remember you can take the boy out of the priest.... ya I'm gonna stop right there,  the good lord has me slated to be struck by lightning soon enough why hold a lightning rod?

michaelread

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2010, 03:44:46 PM »
wish I had found this earlier!

Well you could say im either new to Fulham, or maybe ive followed them all my conscious life?

As a youngster, spent the ages of 6 to 10 playing football, or soccer. At that age, all you see on the tele in Australia is man u, and as a striker at the time, how could you not love Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole teaming up together? At about age 10, I started playing Rugby League and Rugby and really made a go of it, playing overseas and against the likes of the Ulster Youth Squad, playing first grade in the local Newcastle league etc etc.

While from age 10 to 14 I didnt really follow soccer, I jumped back into it in 2005 and was drawn to Fulham from the only name that was prominent, Andy Cole. I watched when I could and followed fairly passively.

In 2007/08, Fulham changed my life, to be completely honest. I went to London to play rugby in Jan 2007, I didnt get to any games as we werent allowed to leave the hotel without the whole team etc, but I did make a walk past the cottage, and it felt like home. Id had a really depressing Knee injury on that trip that all but ended my rugby career before it started, I was going home to Newcastle to play in the Newcastle Knights under 20s side, one step from the best Rugby League competition in the world. I had racked up some depression and insomnia amongst other issues, and what did I find on the tele every week, a comfort in fox sports viewers choice. I picked up intensely following fulham during our great escape, right when Hodgson got to the club. The games at Man City and Pompey still make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Id found something that was a bit of happiness amongst a pretty dark time in my life. I then moved to Brisbane in 2009 to try to get into some unis and get out of the small town where i felt there wasnt much of a future, however the breakdown of a relationship with the girl id been with since i was 15, so 4 years, left me alone in a sharehouse of international students who didnt speak english in a full time job that was paying me junior wages, 75% of minimum wage, without the energy or opportunity to get out and make friends, so Fulham once again became the refuge, watching us rise to 7th that year was amazing.

Ive since come home to Newcastle to be with my mother who got sick, and look after the house a bit as dad has to work a lot more, Fulham has become a bonding session for me and my mum, we sit up together and watch every game as she is always up late with chemo going on. Having so many games this year has given me a great opportunity to have great times with mum, but I must admit when she does get tired and go to bed, I can fully let out the hushed fist pumps at every goal and save.

So im Fulham because, no matter what was happening in my life, Fulham was a constant. Id instantly fell in love with the culture that the club emits, and once they had reeled me in, there was no way I would be leaving.

Ill be over in January 2011, not long now, and staying for two months. Finally realising a dream.

coyw!!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 03:46:51 PM by michaelread »

Offline finnster01

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2010, 08:24:02 PM »
Nice post Mr Michael. Very touching.

I hope your mum is doing better and wish her the speediest of recoveries  :045: :045:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

michaelread

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2010, 06:14:06 AM »

I hope your mum is doing better and wish her the speediest of recoveries  :045: :045:

typical teenagey angsty stuff, life is sweet now, and mums on the happy road to recovery it seems

Offline McBridefan1

• Legend
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2010, 07:42:17 AM »
Glad to hear mum is on the recovery road, tell her we'll keep her in our prayers/positive thoughts... she's part of the family now. So you haven't mentioned how is your Rugby career going these days? did the knee do it in or what? you still giving it a go?

michaelread

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2010, 12:56:27 PM »
playing in the Newcastle Rugby League, second/first team for Western Suburbs, the rich club, haha.

basically we are the feeder league for the National Rugby League side the Newcastle Knights, so say there is an injury crisis at the club this year, and im an outside back so say i score a few lucky tries here and there, i might get my shot in the National Youth Comp, which is the Knights under 20s side.

From there, i have to get my foot in the door and start playing well, but its unlikely at this age for them to take someone on unless I have an absolute blinder this year.

Could get lucky, first game is next weekend, havent played for 18 months so we will see how it goes!

Offline TheDaddy

• MAESTRO
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2010, 04:00:19 PM »
michaelread,
Very heart rendering story good luck to you and your mother .Don't forget to bump up the info on your journey to blighty im sure theres plenty of us who would like to see you and show the love the fulham family way. :048:
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

Offline GoldCoastWhite

• Legend
Introduce yourselves and explain where are you from, and why Fulham..?
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2010, 10:10:28 AM »

typical teenagey angsty stuff, life is sweet now, and mums on the happy road to recovery it seems
You're not a teenager anymore you old bastard ! Seriously though, great post Michael and I admire your honesty and
your persistence after doing your knee. I lost my Mum to the big C when I was in my 20's so great to hear your Ma is on the improve - but don't ever take her for granted mate. Enjoy the Cottage for both of you, there's really nowhere else like it anywhere, and some of the basket cases that post on here aren't too bad either.

Offline Jimbobob

• Legend
  • Fulham Forever-Forever Fulham
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2010, 06:23:29 PM »
Jimbobob18 on FOF message Board

I am James Fullam from Charlotte, NC USA

I am Fullam/Fulham so I support no one else!

I have a great Fulham Jersey from the 3rd divison days when I visted London in 1992!
I was laughed at when I asked where I could find one! "Why do you want that one mate?????"

FFFF: FULHAM FOREVER -FOREVER FULHAM!
 :037: :007: :008: :045: :026: :048:
"You don’t want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I’m somebody nobody wants to fcuk with do you understand?

Offline Augustino

• Youth Academy
    • Facebook profile
Hey everyone,

I'm Augustino from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
Being from Canada i've had very little exposure to european football as a child. After the World Cup in Korea i became obsessed with soccer (esp. Italian and Hungarian - my nationalities).

My favourite player was Zoltan Gera who had made a name from himself as far back as his days at Ferencvaros in Hungary. I supported west brom because of him, but paid very little attention to english football.

When west brom was being promoted i decided i would pay more attention, but Gera was picked up by Fulham. I had no idea who fulham were, nor did i know much about english football (then).

Fast forward to today: I've watched nearly every Fulham match in the past two seasons, i own the 09/10 jersey, a scarf, etc. I'm a huge fan of the club and english football.

Its a great time to be a Fulham supporter, and I couldn't be happier to be supporting a club that shows nothing but discipline, class, and respect. from ownership to management to the players on the field I love the club.

Don't pick on me for only being a fan for a couple years ! hahaha
I know it isn't the ideal reason to support a club, but give me a break i'm from Canada and all we've got is the MLS.... sigh.

Cheers
Augustino

Logicalman

Welcome Jimbobob and Augustino.

Augustino, it may surprise you but I do know a little of Hamilton, as in driving through and into, and have an old friend still living there. Seems a nice place.

Offline LBNo11

• Global Moderator
  • Gentleman Jim
  • "A bow-legged chicken and a knock-kneed hen"
    • Friends Of Fulham
..welcome to the community Jimbob and Augustino, I hope you enjoy the facilities, we have a chat-room as well as a feature called Fulham Space. How long you have been a fan is not important - the fact that you saw the light is the main thing, and if you don't understand anything just say...
The Modfather!

WE, the fans, WE ARE FULHAM, the players, management, directors, owners - they just borrow our affections in the short time they are at OUR club...

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Offline McBridefan1

• Legend
..welcome to the community Jimbob and Augustino, I hope you enjoy the facilities, we have a chat-room as well as a feature called Fulham Space. How long you have been a fan is not important - the fact that you saw the light is the main thing, and if you don't understand anything just say...

Just say what? What's he supposed to say? Is there a secret word some sort of secret club that requires a password then all spoken English English becomes clear??? I've got to get my hands on that magic word. :dft012: Sadly I've spent so much time with you lot I do understand most everything, even the stuff that Nogood boyo says. :dft012:

Offline Steve_orino

• Legend
  • White & Black: One State at a Time
I thought nobody understood NoGood's posts except his sign-offs and that's why we loved them so much...silly me.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
“My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward.” Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09