News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Introduce yourselves and explain where are you from, and why Fulham..?

Started by LBNo11, February 20, 2010, 07:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrCheviot

Hah.. thanks for the encouragement!! I guess I forgot to include that a) she's married, b) by now she's closer to 40 than 30 and c) I'm quite firmly and happily in a long-term relationship (plans to start ring hunting in a few months). Otherwise I agree with 100% of what you're saying. I'm not a shy guy, & I've historically had no issues endearing myself to the fairer sex.

It's more along the lines of... "Hey, remember me? (A decade ago you'd lean over while we chatted so as to entice me a bit and let me catch a whiff of your perfume.. and boy did I enjoy it!!) Well, I've become a die-hard Fulham supporter because you happened to be from there, and I wanted to see if you were up for talking for bit on how wonderful Roy is and how the lads are doing?"

I guess I could make it less creepy/fawning, and otherwise have no real reason for not dropping her a line. If I were to abscond off to the cottage w/ a woman though, it'd have to be the one I already have.
"Zamora!! What About that? We have seen some brilliant football from Shakhtar Donetsk tonight, but nothing.. nothing quite as good as that!"

McBridefan1

She's married and "closer to 40", you're adorable Chevvy... I call that a mark.

YankeeJim

MrCheviot,
Why didn't ypu just say you were being voyeuristic? Heck, it's part of being male. McBride for one has never passed up a bathroom window.  :D
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

GoldCoastWhite

I was briefly, but seriously concerned when I read that a man in your circumstances (in a long term relationship) was about to go ring hunting Mr Cheviot. But then I realised you were referring to one of those jewellery type things and I breathed a huge sigh of relief.  ;)

Aussiewhite

Raised in London I was a regular at the Cottage when Johhny Haynes was running around with Mo Cooke and Josh Chamberlain. I got to as many away games as I could afford (which was not too many in those days) including a gut wrenching cup semi final loss to Burnley at Villa Pk. In 1969 I migrated to Australia but have never lost my love for The Whites. I try and ensure any trips back to the old country are timed to enable me to catch a couple of Fulham games. I am up in the middle of the night to view every Fulham game. Most are televised live here, but for the few that are not I always find a live stream somewhere. I will not be denied my Fulham fix!!! COYW - Aussiewhite, Brisbane Australia

Steve_orino

Quote from: Aussiewhite on March 13, 2010, 12:33:52 AM
Raised in London I was a regular at the Cottage when Johhny Haynes was running around with Mo Cooke and Josh Chamberlain. I got to as many away games as I could afford (which was not too many in those days) including a gut wrenching cup semi final loss to Burnley at Villa Pk. In 1969 I migrated to Australia but have never lost my love for The Whites. I try and ensure any trips back to the old country are timed to enable me to catch a couple of Fulham games. I am up in the middle of the night to view every Fulham game. Most are televised live here, but for the few that are not I always find a live stream somewhere. I will not be denied my Fulham fix!!! COYW - Aussiewhite, Brisbane Australia

Fantastic!

Welcome aboard Mr AW - don't be a stranger
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

alfie

must confess born bred in Essex became Arse supporter just purely it was the first club i was taken to see, remained Arsenal many man years, that is until i started working for Fulham and this bloody club just gets in your blood, now number one for me, but the Arse is still in me (glad i said it that way round)
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

McBridefan1

Quote from: alfie on March 13, 2010, 07:14:20 PM
must confess born bred in Essex became Arse supporter just purely it was the first club i was taken to see, remained Arsenal many man years, that is until i started working for Fulham and this bloody club just gets in your blood, now number one for me, but the Arse is still in me (glad i said it that way round)

yes what's the old saying? you can take the arse out of the boy but you can't take the boy out of the arse... summit like that. :dft012:

finnster01

Quote from: McBridefan1 on March 17, 2010, 04:01:17 AM
Quote from: alfie on March 13, 2010, 07:14:20 PM

yes what's the old saying? you can take the arse out of the boy but you can't take the boy out of the arse... summit like that. :dft012:

I went to catholic school, tell me about it  :034:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

McBridefan1

Yes well the other saying is you can take the arse out of the catholic priest but you can't take the catholic priest out of the ahh... what you've heard this one before?

Steve_orino

Havin' a rough night...so glad I clicked on this thread!

Steve "speaking of the derry-air" orino
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

McBridefan1

no no now I remember you can take the boy out of the priest.... ya I'm gonna stop right there,  the good lord has me slated to be struck by lightning soon enough why hold a lightning rod?

michaelread

wish I had found this earlier!

Well you could say im either new to Fulham, or maybe ive followed them all my conscious life?

As a youngster, spent the ages of 6 to 10 playing football, or soccer. At that age, all you see on the tele in Australia is man u, and as a striker at the time, how could you not love Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole teaming up together? At about age 10, I started playing Rugby League and Rugby and really made a go of it, playing overseas and against the likes of the Ulster Youth Squad, playing first grade in the local Newcastle league etc etc.

While from age 10 to 14 I didnt really follow soccer, I jumped back into it in 2005 and was drawn to Fulham from the only name that was prominent, Andy Cole. I watched when I could and followed fairly passively.

In 2007/08, Fulham changed my life, to be completely honest. I went to London to play rugby in Jan 2007, I didnt get to any games as we werent allowed to leave the hotel without the whole team etc, but I did make a walk past the cottage, and it felt like home. Id had a really depressing Knee injury on that trip that all but ended my rugby career before it started, I was going home to Newcastle to play in the Newcastle Knights under 20s side, one step from the best Rugby League competition in the world. I had racked up some depression and insomnia amongst other issues, and what did I find on the tele every week, a comfort in fox sports viewers choice. I picked up intensely following fulham during our great escape, right when Hodgson got to the club. The games at Man City and Pompey still make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Id found something that was a bit of happiness amongst a pretty dark time in my life. I then moved to Brisbane in 2009 to try to get into some unis and get out of the small town where i felt there wasnt much of a future, however the breakdown of a relationship with the girl id been with since i was 15, so 4 years, left me alone in a sharehouse of international students who didnt speak english in a full time job that was paying me junior wages, 75% of minimum wage, without the energy or opportunity to get out and make friends, so Fulham once again became the refuge, watching us rise to 7th that year was amazing.

Ive since come home to Newcastle to be with my mother who got sick, and look after the house a bit as dad has to work a lot more, Fulham has become a bonding session for me and my mum, we sit up together and watch every game as she is always up late with chemo going on. Having so many games this year has given me a great opportunity to have great times with mum, but I must admit when she does get tired and go to bed, I can fully let out the hushed fist pumps at every goal and save.

So im Fulham because, no matter what was happening in my life, Fulham was a constant. Id instantly fell in love with the culture that the club emits, and once they had reeled me in, there was no way I would be leaving.

Ill be over in January 2011, not long now, and staying for two months. Finally realising a dream.

coyw!!

finnster01

Nice post Mr Michael. Very touching.

I hope your mum is doing better and wish her the speediest of recoveries  :045: :045:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

michaelread

Quote from: finnster01 on March 20, 2010, 08:24:02 PM

I hope your mum is doing better and wish her the speediest of recoveries  :045: :045:

typical teenagey angsty stuff, life is sweet now, and mums on the happy road to recovery it seems

McBridefan1

Glad to hear mum is on the recovery road, tell her we'll keep her in our prayers/positive thoughts... she's part of the family now. So you haven't mentioned how is your Rugby career going these days? did the knee do it in or what? you still giving it a go?

michaelread

playing in the Newcastle Rugby League, second/first team for Western Suburbs, the rich club, haha.

basically we are the feeder league for the National Rugby League side the Newcastle Knights, so say there is an injury crisis at the club this year, and im an outside back so say i score a few lucky tries here and there, i might get my shot in the National Youth Comp, which is the Knights under 20s side.

From there, i have to get my foot in the door and start playing well, but its unlikely at this age for them to take someone on unless I have an absolute blinder this year.

Could get lucky, first game is next weekend, havent played for 18 months so we will see how it goes!

TheDaddy

michaelread,
Very heart rendering story good luck to you and your mother .Don't forget to bump up the info on your journey to blighty im sure theres plenty of us who would like to see you and show the love the fulham family way. :048:
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

GoldCoastWhite

Quote from: michaelread on March 21, 2010, 06:14:06 AM
Quote from: finnster01 on March 20, 2010, 08:24:02 PM

typical teenagey angsty stuff, life is sweet now, and mums on the happy road to recovery it seems
You're not a teenager anymore you old bastard ! Seriously though, great post Michael and I admire your honesty and
your persistence after doing your knee. I lost my Mum to the big C when I was in my 20's so great to hear your Ma is on the improve - but don't ever take her for granted mate. Enjoy the Cottage for both of you, there's really nowhere else like it anywhere, and some of the basket cases that post on here aren't too bad either.

Jimbobob

Jimbobob18 on FOF message Board

I am James Fullam from Charlotte, NC USA

I am Fullam/Fulham so I support no one else!

I have a great Fulham Jersey from the 3rd divison days when I visted London in 1992!
I was laughed at when I asked where I could find one! "Why do you want that one mate?????"

FFFF: FULHAM FOREVER -FOREVER FULHAM!
:037: :007: :008: :045: :026: :048:
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?