watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Match day musings - The Brum experience

Started by Jimpav, February 21, 2010, 10:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimpav

Hey guys, cracking result today. Here are some musings for those of you who couldn't make it and want a bit more detail than MOTD2!

Started the day by doing some housework and taking some junk up to the tip. With all these extra matches and nights away for mid week games I have been having to keep the wife extra sweet!

Bit of a toss up this morning between the lucky pants and the lucky white t-shirt. Decided that lucky white t-shirt (kindly washed and ironed by wife since Thursday) would be enough for a home game against Brum. Aformentioned pants are being saved for Thursdays tricky tie.

Took the tube from Embankment to Putney. Don't normally do this as I normally take the overground from Waterloo or walk in from Hammersmith. The tube is always enjoyable because there are normally a few away fans on board. You can't help but eavesdrop on their thoughts about the match ahead. These guys seemed a bit nervous but I gues that can be expected after our midwek performance.

Was feeling a bit nervy myself, what with Brum's great record this season and the obvious comparions to ourself last season. A brisk stroll along the river took my mind off the match briefly. Not sure about anyone else, but every time I walk down the Stevenage Road, I can't help but think about which house I would buy if I won the lottery. That would be my second ppurchase after box!

The clouds broke just before kick off, with sun lighting up the Haynes stand. Always such a beautiful sight and makes me so pleased to be Fulham. The atmosphere was a bit slow at this stage as tourists found their seats and us regulars found our voices.

Cracking header by Baird, wrong goal though. Stunned. I swore, then I laughed, I swore again, then the Hammy End rallied and then we were dusted down and back on our feet. It was a silly mistake but as others have said it was forgivable based on his other performances this year. This was further redeemed when Baird made a crucial clearance to stop us going 2-0 down.

A brief moment of comedy lightened the mood. After making a good clearance Hughes lost his boot. He paused, trying to get the boot back on. Disaster – Brum came in for another attack. Hughes is hopping around with a boot in his hand. It's one on one with Brum heading towards the penalty box – Hughes hoofs it out barefooted for a corner. Great chant of "One boot, he only needs one boot!" follows, lightening the mood!   

Half time came and went. We continued to attack but Brum sat back and soaked up the pressure. Another one-nil win would not do them any harm and neither would a 1-1 draw.

The break through came with Duff. A mazy run and some slick passing finished with a shot on goal. Hart had no chance. We erupted. It had been a long time coming but it was worth the wait. Pure class, I was purring!

The atmosphere instantly went up a few notches and so did Brum's quality of play. Where as before they had looked quite pedestrian they were now attacking with venom. McFadden nearly hit a screamer to match BZ's effort on Thursday but a combination of Schwarzer and his cross bar just about kept it out.

The match continued at this pace with the crowd becoming increasingly frustrated by the ref and his inconsistency. You really do have to realise that BZ is a target man not just for our players but for the opposition. He is pushed and pulled all around the pitch, more so today than in recent matches.

Brum will be left to rue one of these pushes after a blatant shove on Gera just outside the penalty area gave us a free kick. The crowd sensing something special were on their feet and chanting Bobby's name – hoping for a repeat of his free kick against Burnley. We al knew something special was going to happen but nobody saw that coming. BZ went at it like an animal and sent the ball curling past the wall and into the corner of the net. Absolute quality!

The last few minutes of the game were spent in shameless hero worship of Zamora. Even the Riverside were up on their feet singing Bobby for England and "Fabio, are you watching".

I keep expecting to wake up from a dream, but until my alarm clock goes I'm going to enjoy the moment.

COYW

RidgeRider

Excellent write-up Jimpav. Love your musings. Wish I could have been there to take in the eruption that took place after what was BZ's beautiful goal.

HatterDon

thanks, Jimpav. I enjoyed it all -- especially the Hughes barefoot incident.

Those of us who can only dream of a trip to the Cottage [and those of us who didn't have video today] really appreciate coverage like this.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

White Noise

Jimpav

Cheers guys. You'll have to get over to the UK whilst the good
times are rolling!

How did your race go on Sunday RR?

mrska

Nice1 Mate...  Great Summary..

My day was over shadowed by engineering works...  a 1 hour journey taking 2 hours 45 mins...  So when Baird nodded into his own net i thought the writing was on the wall..

Credit to the lads..  although they looked tired, rallied to make dream finish with Duffs powerdriver  and Bobby's dazzler!!

I was suprised to see how few Brum fans were there..  i know it was a Sunday, but the game wasn't on tv..  i expected about double  the numbers that attended.

Oh well...  good day out..  I didn't let South West Trains win!