watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Given or Schwartzer.

Started by jarv, August 16, 2010, 12:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

Why would Arsenal target MS if Given is about to be available. Logic says, they should target him (maybe they are). Given is better and younger!
Definitely would like to see SG at Fulham.

FatFreddysCat

As Cebu (i think) pointed out in anouther thread, no way are Citeh going to help out Arsenal, and they hardly need the money.

LRCN

schwarzer is easily the better goalie. given is good but very overrated.

TonyGilroy

Given is top quality IMO and I'd be delighted if we could get him but I can see no good reason why City would weaken their squad going into a transfer window.

Tom

Sell Mark for 3.5-4.0 million and give me Shay. I want a player that wants to play for Fulham.
Fulham for life!

AlFayedsChequebook

I would prefer to hold on to schwarzer. He offers continuity and is an excellent goalkeeper.

If Given is such an excellent Goalkeeper, why has he not ended up at a top 4 club before? Why has he also been part of terrible defences at both Newcastle and Man City?

HatterDon

Here's the biggest reason that Citeh would want to loan out Given to Arsenal: It would guarantee them two matches facing a backup goalkeeper. A few years back, United loaned out keepers to Watford and Everton and had FOUR premier league matches against subs. As I remember, that resulted in 12 points for them.

This reality would more than balance out any benefit Given would have for Arsenal in his other matches. Just sayin'
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: HatterDon on August 16, 2010, 04:37:44 PM
Here's the biggest reason that Citeh would want to loan out Given to Arsenal: It would guarantee them two matches facing a backup goalkeeper. A few years back, United loaned out keepers to Watford and Everton and had FOUR premier league matches against subs. As I remember, that resulted in 12 points for them.

This reality would more than balance out any benefit Given would have for Arsenal in his other matches. Just sayin'
But on the otherhand he's a much better keeper than alumnia, and letting arse have him could gain them anouther 12 points.

Oakeshott

I don't think its fair to say MS doesn't want to play for Fulham - rather that (like any other goalie at a middle of the table club) he'd rather have his final 2-3 years at Arsenal where he has some prospect of a Premiership medal (though not much, judging by yesterday's performance) and certainly some games in the Champions League. If in the end Arsenal don't want him, or we refuse to sell, I'm sure he'll do his very best for us as he has over the last two seasons.

Prior to MS coming to Fulham, I'd have said that Given was marginally the better. Having seen more of Mark, I don't think there is much in it and Given has the advantage of being a bit younger. IF we were able to get Given and MS went to Arsenal, everyone wins and I'd wish Mark all the luck in the world in trying to get a medal before he retires.

Having watched Arsenal yesterday though, they still have no effective defensive organisation and they'll surely be cut to ribbons by the best sides in the Champions League. Mark will be very busy!

Hazey

Well said Oak.

If you were about to retire in two years and your boss offered you better pay and better opportunities as if you wouldnt take it.

We all say it often enough that by now we should realise there is no sentiment in football anymore.

It may be different if Mark had played Champions League before and been successful there, but he hasn't.  You can't have a go at the bloke for wantint to play against the best teams in Europe/The World.
At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at FFC we have spirit. Fulham people can touch that spirit - they are the real Cottagers, they are the club

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Hazey on August 16, 2010, 05:31:13 PM
Well said Oak.

If you were about to retire in two years and your boss offered you better pay and better opportunities as if you wouldnt take it.

We all say it often enough that by now we should realise there is no sentiment in football anymore.

It may be different if Mark had played Champions League before and been successful there, but he hasn't.  You can't have a go at the bloke for wantint to play against the best teams in Europe/The World.
just like the Yanks sticking up for Dempsey :dft012:

Rupert

Easy enough to see why Arsenal would prefer Mark, he wants to move into coaching. So, they get a very good goalie for the last few years of his playing career, plus he takes his badges and starts turning their so-so keepers into decent ones, ready for when he retires, much as our Mr Stockdale credits MS with his improvement.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

ImperialWhite

Barry Glendenning (of the Guardian) doesn't think much of SG:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/aug/16/five-things-we-learned

Shay Given's career at Manchester City is almost certainly over

One goalkeeper who did have an unsurprisingly assured opening to the Premier League campaign was Joe Hart, whose transformation into an octopus helped Manchester City to keep Tottenham Hotspur scoreless as they threatened to run riot in the opening half at White Hart Lane. Occasionally, after one of Hart's excellent saves, the Sky producer would order his minions to cut to the camera trained on Hart's predecessor as City's first-choice goalkeeper, Shay Given, and was probably gutted that he couldn't treat viewers to footage of the Irishman visibly scowling, spitting contemptuously or cursing his replacement's name.

What we did see was an accomplished goalkeeper who probably knows the jig is up for him at City and is ready to assess his options, the least appealing of which must be a season spent kicking his heels on the bench. Fulham are believed to be interested, but it's telling that Given still isn't being linked with a move to a top club playing Champions League football in England or abroad. Their scouts have obviously seen the shortcomings – an inability to command his penalty area and a reluctance to come off his line for crosses – hordes of the player's army of fanatical Irish cheerleaders refuse to accept exist.

Hazey

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on August 16, 2010, 05:49:03 PM
Quote from: Hazey on August 16, 2010, 05:31:13 PM
Well said Oak.

just like the Yanks sticking up for Dempsey :dft012:
:59:
At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at FFC we have spirit. Fulham people can touch that spirit - they are the real Cottagers, they are the club

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

I would have thought Shay is a Given...