watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Happy Birthday Roy Bentley & Barry Hayles

Started by White Noise, May 17, 2011, 07:38:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Roy Bentley (143 app) is 87 today and Barrington Edward Hayles (174 app) is 39 today.

Many Happy Returns gents.

WhiteJC

The Equalizer

Happy Birthday lads!

Oh Harry Bayles, Harry Harry Harry Bayles....
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

LBNo11

...happy birthday to both who wore the white shirt, I remember Sir Barrington of Hayles as an in- your-face forward, who improved immensely under Tigana's methods. I have met Roy on a couple of occassions and he is very sprightly for his advanced years. I did not see him play, but those of the Dad's Army division of FoF have always waxed lyrical of how the former chelsea striker came to Fulham and took on the centre-half role so well.

Thanks for the memories...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

CorkedHat

I remember when we brought Roy from that team down the road. He was already in his thirties and had probably seen his best days before he came aboard. He was a great striker in the traditional way and had represented England in that position on many occasions.
He played a few games at Centre Forward for us and then someone came up with the notion that he might make a good centre half.
As a result Roy Bentley became the best centre half of the day and the media were clamouring for him to be recalled to the England team.
Age was probably against him and so he never pulled on an England shirt again, but I am here to tell you, that in my view, Roy Bentley was the best centre half this club has known.
Happy Birthday Roy and to you Mr Hayles.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

bog

I echo corked hat. Roy is still in my best ever line up at centre half. Some may like to know that I went to junior school (West Twyford) with his daughter. He used to collect her and I remember at the school gate looking up at him with complete awe.  As an aside, when I saw him doing a lap of honour at that place to celebrate 50 years since winning the league, on impulse I wrote to he to offer my opinion on how fit he looked, and by return of post, there was an answer from the man himself in his own hand. Top bloke.
As for Barry, I really liked his style of play. Came late to the pro game and always gave his all.           

Happy Birthday to both.