watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Craven Cottage and the 1948 Oympics

Started by Edwatch_Winston_Malone, July 08, 2011, 01:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

What was Craven cottage used for in the 1948 olympics?  I saw a poster advertising it but no detail. Some of you will have been around then, and are bound to know...

The Equalizer

According to Wikipedia it was used for 'football preliminaries', along with Highbury, Selhurst Park, White Hart Lane, Ilford (?), Griffin Park (sick), Dulwich (?), Green Pond Stadium - Walthamstow, Fratton Park and the Goldstone Ground in Brighton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Summer_Olympics
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

sipwell

Quote from: The Equalizer on July 08, 2011, 02:16:47 PM
According to Wikipedia it was used for 'football preliminaries', along with Highbury, Selhurst Park, White Hart Lane, Ilford (?), Griffin Park (sick), Dulwich (?), Green Pond Stadium - Walthamstow, Fratton Park and the Goldstone Ground in Brighton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Summer_Olympics

This is a question for the oldies and the historian-in-residence, Mr. LB. Not for the iyoung nternet savvy wikipedia user
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Ron Sheepskin

Compare EQ's 1948 list to the 2012 list for preliminary football matches.

In 1948, 10 grounds were used, 8 of which were in London (the host city).

Next year, 4 grounds are being used (from memory) of which 1 is in London (the host city again). I am still struggling to understand why the London olympics ('and Londoners are paying for it) feels it necessary to use St James' Park, Old Trafford and the Millenium Stadium to host matches. They are large stadia, sure, but tickets are unsold - in hindsight do we think that it would have been reasonable to use London club grounds instead?
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Quote from: Ron Sheepskin on July 08, 2011, 02:32:16 PM

Next year, 4 grounds are being used (from memory) of which 1 is in London (the host city again). I am still struggling to understand why the London olympics ('and Londoners are paying for it) feels it necessary to use St James' Park, Old Trafford and the Millenium Stadium to host matches. They are large stadia, sure, but tickets are unsold - in hindsight do we think that it would have been reasonable to use London club grounds instead?

and Coventry and Hampden Park.  I suppose it is to give all of the UK some of the Olympics as so much taxpayers money is being used

Jimpav

Quote from: Edward_Winston_Malone on July 08, 2011, 03:25:00 PM
Quote from: Ron Sheepskin on July 08, 2011, 02:32:16 PM

and Coventry and Hampden Park.  I suppose it is to give all of the UK some of the Olympics as so much taxpayers money is being used

True and I imagine it would also be to spread the transport and police burden.

The football at Wembley has nearly sold out. Had the Emirates, White Hart Lane, Scumford Bridge also reached capacity or even half capacity it would have been a huge amount of people moving roubnd London, in addition to the other events.

Secondly, I guess it's pandering to the notion of being a GB team so that the Scots and Welsh can get involved -not that they seem that keen.

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

I think those scheduled to play at Coventry must have offended the Olympic authorities in some way...

Ron Sheepskin

I'm hoping that Engl - sorry, GB United, get their qualifiers at Wembley. I know I'm not the only one on here with tickets to the double header, and I can cope with watching Iran vs New Zealand as long as I get something to cheer about in the second game.  :hook:
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

CULTUREVULTURE

Quote from: Ron Sheepskin on July 08, 2011, 04:42:13 PM
I'm hoping that Engl - sorry, GB United, get their qualifiers at Wembley. I know I'm not the only one on here with tickets to the double header, and I can cope with watching Iran vs New Zealand as long as I get something to cheer about in the second game.  :hook:

+1 - looking forward t it

For further information on Craven Cottage and the 1948 Olympics click on this new link:-

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=13608.0