watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fatigue

Started by Brede Butter Pudding, February 28, 2010, 06:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brede Butter Pudding

Surely after such a massive workload, 8 games in the month of February, surely fatigue must really be starting to affect the players. I was surprised to see the likes of Bobatov, Duff, Murph start due to their huge efforts in Donetsk, but was disappointed not to see the introduction of Okaka around the 75th minute as I think his pace could have opened up a tiring Sunderland defence. Will the boys be knackered for Saturday, arguably one of our most important/significant games of the season against the yids?

leonffc

Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on February 28, 2010, 06:01:19 PM
Surely after such a massive workload, 8 games in the month of February, surely fatigue must really be starting to affect the players. I was surprised to see the likes of Bobatov, Duff, Murph start due to their huge efforts in Donetsk, but was disappointed not to see the introduction of Okaka around the 75th minute as I think his pace could have opened up a tiring Sunderland defence. Will the boys be knackered for Saturday, arguably one of our most important/significant games of the season against the yids?

I'm suprised that more changes weren't made but was disappointed Okaka didnt replace Gera. Weak and wasteful as usual

TonyGilroy

Hodgson has sports scientists, a medical team and 35 years experience. I trust him to get it right.

What we are seeing is us back to our defensive best as a result of consistent selection and the confidence from good results.

I agree that we may run out of steam but meanwhile let's just pile on the good results.

Tom

Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on February 28, 2010, 06:01:19 PM
Yeah, I to would have liked to see Okaka get at least 15-20 minutes today.
Fulham for life!

Rupert

It is a balancing act between players suffering from fatigue and not breaking up a successful team. Whilst the reserves have coped superbly in matches when called upon, Roy clearly wants his first available XI playing together as much as possible.
Besides, the lads now have a week to recover.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

LRCN

We will be fine on saturday, but I have no idea how the players were still standing at the end of todays game. alot of credit should go to the players and the coaches for their fitness.

FatFreddysCat

I hope that Okaka isn't going to be anouther Jari Litteman or Giles Barnes (at least he has played). What's the point of getting him in if even Elm is in front of him in the pecking order?

NogoodBoyo

The point is....the point!
He doesn't believe in the sort of knee-jerk changes that we supporters always demand.  I think we have to face it - he knows a million times more than we do about this game and his way has been far better than anybody else's for us.
Basically, he's putting messageboard pundits out of business.  It's time we donned our Blingospecs and got back to the serious business of naming great Welsh film titles.  (I've lost that thread).
Nogood "nothing lasts forever though, so it" Boyo

Logicalman

The lads did look tired today, but they have a week of rest (with training) now, so should have all the niggles smoothed out before we meet the Spurts.

I do have to raise the apparent problems with Murphy today though. He also looked very tired, and it showed in his play. Not only was his passing rate poor, he gave the ball away in mid-field letting Jones mount another attack through the center. When he was (finally) subbed, I felt a lot of relief, not just for the lack-lustre  peformance thus far but he was becoming more and more wound up and answering (swearing) back at the ref t/w dissent, and that is something I believe Roy abhors, especially in his captain.

Overall we were very fortunate that our game following our extensive run of matches this month was against a poor team, lacking either the skill or the confidence to take advantage of our fatigue and inability to make chances (how many times do we need to pump the ball straight up to BZ before we discover he is being marked so heavily he cannot move?).

Tom

I really am surprised that Okaka didn't play in the game today. Fatigue should not really be a factor, these guys are pro's and we have a week till our next game and to rest up.
Fulham for life!

Brede Butter Pudding

Despite being pros they are still working tremendously hard, and regardless of how fit they may be, two matches in the space on 3 days, as well as a long journey to the Ukraine and another journey to Sunderland would tire anyone out. Still, like you say, they have 6 days now to train and rest and get ready for saturday.

FatFreddysCat

I have to agree with Tom, all they do is train, train by highly paid proffessionals to be at thier peak of fitness. Basically that's all they do for weekly wages that most of us only hope to earn in a year.I'd actually pay money if i had the time to be put through their work out, and as many on this forum would have done, pay a fiver subs to play a game. Also occaisonally we had to take the kit home to wash, and get the other half to wash it. How can you have sympathy with a man of £40k a week when you used to get home at 6am sunday morning p1ssed as a newt and still play football 4/5 hours later after a week of proper work? And yes i did post we'd lose because we'd be to tired , before someone copy and pastes it.

White Noise

Your recovery times have got to be longer when you get near to 30 though, haven't they?

We have played 44 games so far this season. Sunderland just 32. Thats a fair bit of difference for those players playing close to all of those. However, Roy has revolved the squad well so not many have played close to 40.

Interestingly, those Fulham players who have played the most games are the ones holding up best - Hughes, Hangeland & Schwarzer with a special mention to Bobby who must get the hard graft/taking one for the team award this season.

Rupert

With the greatest respect, Fred, there is a world of difference between a Sunday morning footballer rolling up half drunk and attempting to hit the ball occasionally, and a Premiership footballer who is expected to not only turn up but perform at close to his usual standards or risk geting slagged off by the experts on the internet message boards.

If our lot managed to play today at 90% of their usual performance they would appear to be having an off day and there would be lots of comments. A Sunday morning warrior at 90%, well, there's a good chance nobody would notice. I sent one clown off last season after three minutes because all he did in those minutes was kick two people and just missed a third, the first time he got the benefit of the doubt (largely because I played advantage and the opposition scored), the second he got a final warning (this was the one that missed), the third he walked. After the game, which his mates won 3-2 despite his help, his captain apologised and said he was still drunk from the night before, but they hadn't noticed until I walked him.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

FatFreddysCat

You do post some very good logical stuff Rupert, very well put. But you are a ref, and you'd have definately cos tme a good few quid in fines. Saying that, i used to use being drunk as an excuse on sundays, and you'd be surprised how many drinker refs would let you off. But my first foul was always done on purpose, got to let them know you're there haven't you? ;)

NorfolkJim

Well I'm still knackered going back to work this morning. These long trips are wearing me out now that I'm middle aged. Never understood how sitting about can weary a man so much.
On the plus side, with Sunderland behind them, a physio dept behind them and a full week to prepare for Spurs they should be ok - they are young and fit after all, not middle aged and fat like me!
A point away at Sunderland is a good result considering how little recovery / prep time our boys had.

Tom

Quote from: NorfolkJim on March 01, 2010, 07:20:05 AM
Well I'm still knackered going back to work this morning. These long trips are wearing me out now that I'm middle aged. Never understood how sitting about can weary a man so much.
On the plus side, with Sunderland behind them, a physio dept behind them and a full week to prepare for Spurs they should be ok - they are young and fit after all, not middle aged and fat like me!
A point away at Sunderland is a good result considering how little recovery / prep time our boys had.

Concur with you Jim.
Fulham for life!

JBH

Prehaps we should all let Roy get on with his job of selecting a team and making the substitutions he thinks are right to get the result. Afterall he hasn't done a bad job since he came to the club.  8)

HatterDon

sorry, I don't see fatigue being a factor against Spuds. It'll be the only week in a month with only one match. Everyone is going to get their best rest since January.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

NogoodBoyo

I'm fatigued.
Nogood "in camo" Boyo