News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Improvements to football, what changes would you like to see?

Started by jarv, March 01, 2010, 02:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

OBSTRUCTION....does the law even exist any more.?

First, I would like to see "shielding" the ball out of play changed. You should not be able to do it unless you first touch the ball, then can be considered in CONTROL of the ball and therefore shield it. Of course, if you touch it, then you are not going to shield it out. Adds to the skill and creation of opportunities as much as the back pass to golakeeper rule.

I think it is ridiculous to say that "within playing distance" allows you to obstruct an opponent. Where is the skill in that.?

When did you last see an indirect free kick awarded in the penalty area for obstruction?

It would be amusing to watch donkeys like Ridgewell at Brum play try to play themselves out of trouble.

The Equalizer

Hmm, some potentials here:

1. Get rid of Sepp Blatter
2. Get rid of Michel Platini
3. Get rid of Chelsea
4. Get rid of Colin W@nker
5. Get rid of Harry Redknapp

:D
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

alfie

Jarv must agree with you on this one, after all if you obstruct the keeper in anyway like for instance being in the 6 yard box it is a foul, keepers come out jumping with fists and feet everywhere, but one little player standing in from of them and they start crying, Jens Lehman was an expert at this.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

HatterDon

I've got no problems with shielding the ball. There are enough times when a clever, quick attacking player can slip a boot in and regain possession to make it interesting. But here's what I'd like to see:

1. Passive goal line technology -- some sort of embedded chip in the ball and one in the goal posts that would confirm whether a goal has been scored. I'd much prefer that to TV replays or extra officials.

2. Consistency on fouls -- by that I mean if something merits a free kick in the center circle then it should merit a penalty in the penalty area.

3. Suspensions for harrying the ref/linesman -- every player who angrily surrounds a ref to try to bully him is suspended for one match EACH TIME it happens and is fined a week's wages. The ONLY player who should be able to talk to the ref about one of his decisions is the captain. Obviously, this doesn't apply to the odd expression of dispair or anger that's over in a second, and it doesn't apply to the odd side discussion like "the guy's fouling me all game ref; have a look." But the constant bullying has to stop.

4. Immediate yellow cards for any player who implores the ref to card/send off an opponent. It's crap.

5. Nobody with West Ham associations should be allowed to be part of the hierarchy of the Football League, the Premier League, or the FA.

6. Platini and Blatter should be replaced by non-functional buttons.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

finnster01

Quote from: alfie on March 01, 2010, 04:55:58 PM
Jarv must agree with you on this one, after all if you obstruct the keeper in anyway like for instance being in the 6 yard box it is a foul, keepers come out jumping with fists and feet everywhere, but one little player standing in from of them and they start crying, Jens Lehman was an expert at this.
Very good shout Mr Alfie. Although nobody was better than Schumacher at this, remember the Battiston incident? He should be in the cell next door to Joey Barton.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Lighthouse

Strange that a player can obstruct another while shielding the ball when going for a goal kick etc. When the same offence would be a foul anywhere else. So agree with that.

Um offsides? Can we have a rule that says. If you are on the pitch and you are offside then YOU ARE OFFSIDE. If defences are making it hard for you to stay on side than that is part of the game. Stop this stupid rule about Zones and interference etc. STOP IT NOW.

Goal line technology is a must. If the ball crosses the line than its a goal. If the technology isn't up to it then where possible let us have the game stopped and a replay by a third ref. The whole point of the game is scoring a goal. That must be the ONLY time technology is introduced.

If a player can be fined and suspended for an incident after the game is over. Then the reverse must be true. If a player is given a penalty or fakes a dive then while the result cannot be changed a suspension can be given out. Cheats are ruining the game. A three man jury could sit if a complaint is made.

Corners to be taken form the RIGHT SPOT. We don't allow penalties to be taken from off the spot. There is a space by the corner post. Use it.

Foul throws. Either get rid of the rule of in force it. Don't just ignore it when you feel like it.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Rupert

Some of the problems identified here are already covered in the laws, such as trying to get an opponent booked, that is unsporting behaviour and means a yellow card (it's quite funny seeing their faces as you brandish it, too, especially when you tell them you were going to book the player who committed the foul anyway).
As for suspensions for harrying the ref, well, to be honest, I don't get harried any more as I have two friends with me on the pitch, Mr Yellow Card for those who are merely idiots and Mr Red Card for those who are obnoxious. By now every team knows this and new players get clued in when they see me walk onto the pitch. Refs who allow themselves to be bullied deserve it, in my opinion.
Foul throws- yep, fully agree. Also, from the right spot, not fifteen yards further up the pitch (our lads are as guilty as anyone else, by the way)

Obstruction, once again, the law already covers it, but referees at the top fail to use the law properly.
Injured players- the law says that an injured player should be taken off before treatment, because the ref allows treatment on the field the law seems to be stupid. In all seriousness, when a player is injured the ref should say to the physio, "Can he walk?"
If he can, get him up and walk him off, then treat him. If he gets any other answer (such as "I'm assessing his injury,") then get the stretcher on and the player off. We've had very few players go down "injured" in the Europa Cup games because the Continentals seem to understand this law better than our refs.

Consistency of decisions over fouls- ooh, I'm as guilty as the next ref over this. Sometimes the easiest way to stop something bad happening is to blow the whistle. You spot a minor infringement in the middle of the pitch, hit the whistle, the players know you have seen it, are less likely to foul their opponent back and it is unlikely to be decisive. Sometimes you then have both players claiming they were fouled (which is often true and why you stopped the game), you award the free-kick to whoever you saw being fouled first or worst or who has been least hassle (we're only human, believe it or not).
Penalties are potentially far too important to be treated in such a cavalier fashion. Sorry, but it is true.

Edit- Meant to say, I like Mr Lighthouse's idea of using video to catch cheats after the event. Also, yes, please simplify the offside law. Running the line is pretty difficult nowadays. Hence the boys at the top sometimes get it wrong.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

alfie

This thread is really interesting, i would go a bit further, if a player can be viewed after the event and given a punishment for diving, then why can't it be the other way as well, if a player is booked for diving and it turns out he did'nt then can the yellow or even red if second offence be cancelled.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

fulhamguy

I'd say time management could be looked at and we shoud take a leaf out of Rugby's book. Stop the clock when the ball is out of play for a free kick, goal kick etc (not for a throw) and restart when back in play. Then you know you've had 90 minutes.

Also, be able to appeal a sending off from two bookings.
COYW!

LRCN

whoops apologies to timmy, hit the wrong button (twice)

not sure how I managed to mishit quote

jarv

yellow/red cards.

several years ago, it was shameful to get sent off. today, yellow cards are dished out like confetti. maybe 3 = a red.
think about it, a player can get sent off for a referee mistake followed by a silly handball or knocking the ball 5 yards away. hardly compares to the days when you almost had to murder one of your opponents to get a red.

I recall my playing days, half way decent amateur league in London. I was sweeper, pushed the defence up for offside, linesman way out of position, no flag, result goal. I called the ref a cnut.
Short time later, ball over the top (I am only 5'6") and the chap who scored was off to the races. I swiped his legs away, deliberate, last defender etc etc. The ref booked me. The best bit, the lad I fouled said, "he didn't book you for the foul, but because you called him a cnut 10 minutes ago". He was laughing. Happy days, nobody got upset.

timmyg

Quote from: Lork on March 01, 2010, 09:18:30 PM

not sure how I managed to mis*** quote

did you delete my post?!?!?
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

LRCN

Quote from: timmyg on March 01, 2010, 09:45:51 PM
Quote from: Lork on March 01, 2010, 09:18:30 PM

not sure how I managed to mis*** quote

did you delete my post?!?!?

yep sorry mate, didn't mean to!