watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham fans at Sunderland?

Started by timmyg, March 01, 2010, 04:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmyg

I'm not trying to have a go at anyone, but I'm genuinely curious to know whether we had any fans at Sunderland yesterday.

Obviously it makes sense if little did go there, but I ask because they didn't show any on tv and the designated away area seemed completely empty.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

HatterDon

Quote from: timmyg on March 01, 2010, 04:30:46 PM
I'm not trying to have a go at anyone, but I'm genuinely curious to know whether we had any fans at Sunderland yesterday.

Obviously it makes sense if little did go there, but I ask because they didn't show any on tv and the designated away area seemed completely empty.

I heard quite a few "Come on, Fulham" chants. Seeing as how there were 40,000 home fans whining and moaning for 90 minutes, the fact that I could hear ANY Fulham travelers indicates that we had at least a few.

By the way, if I had to be at work at 0900 Monday morning in London, I don't think I'd have made the trip to Sunderland either.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Whiteroom

I was there! I got my ticket from the lady in the ticket office on the day. I asked her how many away tickets they had sold, bearing in mind this is about 20 minutes before kickoff, and she said that they had sold fewer than 300. It is a long way from the Cottage.

Jimpav

The highlights on MOTD 2 showed a shot of the sparsely populated away area. Adrian Chiles made a dig about the poor level of support - which was shot down by Keown and Dixon.

It's cheaper and quicker for me to get to Italy than Sunderland and the food, culture, women are all damn sight better.

No offense to Sunderland, this applies to most away destinations in the UK.

dancrawford

Quote from: Jimpav on March 01, 2010, 06:09:04 PM
The highlights on MOTD 2 showed a shot of the sparsely populated away area. Adrian Chiles made a dig about the poor level of support - which was shot down by Keown and Dixon.

It's cheaper and quicker for me to get to Italy than Sunderland and the food, culture, women are all damn sight better.

No offense to Sunderland, this applies to most away destinations in the UK.

Chiles is really beginning to get to me. That crass attempt at condemnation on Sunday was pretty poor, especially as we'd taken plenty to Ukraine in the week.

I would miss Sunderland if they went out of the top flight (I don't think they will). Always had a great time there or in Newcastle when we've done a weekend up there.

finnster01

I wouldn't mind keeping both either, but I would swap Newcastle coming up with Sunderland in a heartbeat. St James Park is by far the best day out up north if you are Fulham, and especially if you can make it a weekend.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Whiteroom

Finnster is absolutely right. Newcastle is a fantastic city, and going to St James' is brilliant fun. I especially enjoyed that 1-0 win last season. I may even have enjoyed it more than I would having then in the premier league this season.

Ag

Didn't see many people, but I made out a Nigerian Whites banner draped over empty seats.

JBH

Why were the fans not at the stadium of light?

1. 8th game in a month.
2. Fans that travelled to the Ukraine would not have been back until friday
3. Games coming up include FA Cup v Spurs, hame and away legs v Juventus all of which cost extran on top of the season tickets and travelling costs to Turin
4. Sunderland away is hardly a glamourous fixture
5. The game was on a Sunday when the trains are usually up the shoot due to rail works
6. Most people that support FFC have work on a Monday morning.

Personally #'s 3, 5 and 6 are the reason I didn't travel.

dancrawford

Quote from: Ag on March 02, 2010, 01:58:28 AM
Didn't see many people, but I made out a Nigerian Whites banner draped over empty seats.

That was Liam's flag.

NorfolkJim

I'd planned to fly up for this one but then the fixture was moved. Unless you drive or use the clubs coaches this year has been very difficult for away travel. The fixtures keep getting moved at short notice. I heard the argument that away travel is a bit a young persons hobby. Not sure about that but if you look at our support theres a lot of family age fans who would likely have other commitments to spending a whole day on the road. I know at times I feel a bit guilty being away from the wife and kids for a whole day or longer going to the match.
Also, our support is largely based in Fulham / Hammersmith and south of the river with most fans either being locals, ex locals or having some other direct link to FFC - Not too many of the nationwide followers a lot of other clubs have, think Spurs, Liverpool, Everton etc.
When I lived in Yorkshire I was able to get to so many away games just because they were close to me, places like Barnsley, Rotherham, Sheffield, Doncaster, Huddersfield - and I guess those teams with so called "big" followings away do enjoy a lot of that kind of support.

Compare us to other clubs that have a similar fan base and I think we are much like anyone else.
Plus for some teams there not much competition for their time & money compared to what London based teams face

sylvain

Quote from: Jimpav on March 01, 2010, 06:09:04 PM

Amazing quote.... that's gone around the office.