watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Former Burnley keeper Adam Blacklaw dies age 72

Started by The Swan, March 01, 2010, 07:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

Adam Blacklaw the former Burnley keeper has passed away aged 72. May he rest in peace.
Blacklaw was the Burnley keeper when Fulham played them in the semi final of the FA Cup in March 1962. The game was played at Villa Park and with the score 1-1 in the 75th minute our centre forward Maurice Cook pushed the ball past Blacklaw and was just moving to place the ball into the empty net when Blacklaw stuck out his right leg and brought down Cook. The referee waved play on. Despite protests from the Fulham players he would not change his mind. The game ended 1-1 and Burnley won the replay 2-1 and went on to play Spurs in the final.
The Swan

Fernhurst

Vivid childhood memory of being at that game......very emotional when Blacklaw did that awful deed but Maurice did tell us after the game Blacklaw apologised on the way off.

My wishes for him that night were very black indeed, but now 50 years on from the game my genuine condolences go out to his family and friends.

RIP Adam 

jarv

Always sad when an old player dies. I recall a league match and every time Blacklaw punted the ball up field it almost went over the bar at the other end. He could "boot it " further than any other keeper I had seen. Not that it did them much good though.
RIP.

SheffieldWhite

Yes, Rest in Peace indeed.

He was a key part of that great Burnley team that won the first division in 1960. I think he took over from McDonald who had his career ended prematurely when he was the best keeper in the land.
That Burnley side was:
Blacklaw, Angus, Elder,Adamson,?????, Miller, Connolly,McIlroy, Pointer, Robson, Pilkington.

Was the centre half Merrington?
It's funny how easy it is to recall teams from the 60s. There were so few changes and transfers in those days!

Nurse, I need my medication!

Fernhurst

McIlroy was Burnley's Johnny Haynes ..... saw him picked out on the telly recently, sitting watching the match in the stand named after him; now aged 75...... only wish Johnny could've done the same

SheffieldWhite

Spot on re Jimmy MciLROY. A truely great player. He was one of that wonderful NI team that got to the last eight of the World Cup in Sweden in 1958. His other claim to fame was the invention of the short corner.

TonyGilroy

Burnley were a great team in the early 60s and I thought Adam Blacklaw was the best keeper around at that time.

I used to see Burnley when I could in London and even missed a Fulham home game in about 1964 to see them play at Spurs.

I felt dirty though and never did that again.

Bob Lord was a pain in the arse but for all that it was great that teams like Burnley and Ipswich could have their day in the sun and compete successfully with the big boys.