https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (06/09/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 06, 2011, 06:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Bani Yas attempt to sign Fulham's Halliche rebuffed
Algerian defender chooses England over UAE

Dubai: Bani Yas Club had an approach to loan Fulham's Algerian defender Rafik Halliche turned down, it has been revealed.

Halliche, who moved to Swansea City on loan until January on transfer deadline day, to provide emergency cover for Alan Tate who broke his leg in a golf buggy accident, had earlier politely declined a move to Abu Dhabi.

A Bani Yas official confirmed to Gulf News yesterday: "New Uruguayan summer signing Sergio Gonzalo Rodriguez left the club last week. We are looking for someone stronger and better. We are currently assessing our options for a better central defender."

Fulham had refused to loan Halliche out to Bani Yas. The player's agent had apparently told the club he had only recently joined Fulham from Benfica and his client expressed a strong desire to stay in the English Premier League. The agent apologised to Bani Yas and thanked them for their confidence in his potential and their strong desire to sign him.

A Bani Yas source had earlier told the Arabic press: "Bani Yas is working at the moment, in coordination with coach Jorvan Vieira, to review the resumes of other central defenders to choose an alternative to Halliche."

An unnamed Brazilian and a Tunisian were identified as potential targets as the club is eager to choose a defender to join training and stabilise the squad as it begins etisalat Cup duty from September 15.

Whoever joins will be alongside other foreign signings Fawzi Basheer, Andre Senghor and David Trezeguet, as the league runners-up look for a first title under the former 2007 Iraq Asian Cup winning coach, Vieira.

Rodriguez's joining of Bani Yas is one of the shortest-lived tenures of the summer behind Eyeman Henaini and Patrick Alves, who stayed just days at Dubai Club before being ousted by picky Nestor Clausen.

http://gulfnews.com/sport/football/bani-yas-attempt-to-sign-fulham-s-halliche-rebuffed-1.861860?

WhiteJC

Briggs on the bench for England U21s
by DAN on SEPTEMBER 5, 2011

Despite an impressive debut against Azerbaijan on Friday, Fulham's Matthew Briggs has had to settle for a place on the England Under-21s bench tonight for the friendly against Israel.

Stuart Pearce has made nine changes from the side that opened their Euro 2013 qualifying campaign with a thumping win over Azerbaijan at Vicarage Road and Middlesbrough defender Joe Bennett has been preferred to Briggs at left back. Everton's Jack Rodwell captains the side at Oakwell tonight.

ENGLAND UNDER-21s XI: Amos; Wisdom, Bennett, Dawson, Baker; Rodwell, Gosling, Barkley, Shelvey; Waghorn, Sordell. Subs: Rudd, Briggs, Smith, Flanaghan, Caulker, Gardner, Chamberlain, Delfouneso, Wickham, Lansbury, Butland.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/09/briggs-on-the-bench-for-england-u21s/?

WhiteJC

Keeping Baird!

Although the grapevine inferred that Chris Baird wanted a move away from Craven Cottage in the recent transfer window, it never happened.

According to Vital West Bromwich Albion, Roy Hodgsom wanted to take the Northern Ireland international on loan to the Hawthorns but received a knock back from Martin Jol.

They go on to further report that Jol wanted to keep Baird as cover fo r the forthcoming Europa League games.

It seems like a good enough reason to me!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=254196#ixzz1X9GQEDpl

WhiteJC

Hughes: It's now or never

Aaron Hughes admits that Northern Ireland must beat Estonia in Tallinn tomorrow night to keep their European Championship hopes alive.

The Northern Irish skipper says his team were disappointed to lose to Serbia in Belfast on Friday night and has urged his said to 'throw caution to the wind' against the Estonians as only three points will reignite their qualification hopes. The current complexion of Group C, with Northern Ireland three points behind second-placed Slovenia who sit in the play-off place, leaves Nigel Worthington's side probably needing nine points from their final three games to reach the play-offs.

For the first time ever I have to say this is a must-win game. When you get to this stage in the competition you have to win. We know we've got to try and be positive but not in a gung-ho way.

We don't need to try and win a game in the first 10 minutes, we need to keep the ball down, get ourselves plenty of confidence and we have to be patient. We are on their home patch so they're going to be doing the same. But, if we get to the last 10 minutes and if it's 0-0, you know you have to throw a bit of caution to the wind.

The Fulham centre back says the team's qualification worries have been heightened by their failure to capitalise on good passages of play with goals.

We can't put our finger on exactly why [the strikers have struggled] but defensively we have been quite good and frustrated other teams. As a team we need to work hard at going forward and causing sides problems, I think we have created opportunities though. Nobody has their head down.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/09/hughes-its-now-or-never/?

WhiteJC

Steed dismisses quit rumours

Steed Malbranque has dismissed rumours of his impending retirement in a statement issued by the French midfielder's advisors.

Reports from France over the weekend claimed that the former Fulham midfielder had been released from his contract with St. Etienne after his son had been diagnosed with cancer. The stories surprised Malbranque, who had only moved back to France from Sunderland this summer, because he doesn't have a son. Malbranque, who also played for Tottenham during a ten-year career in English football, insists he is still playing.

A statement issued to the Press Association read:

Steed has read with concern the recent stories currently circulating about him and his family. He would like to reassure all of his friends in England and throughout world football that these stories are wholly without foundation.

Steed does not have a son and his immediate family are all in good health. Steed does not know the origin of these stories but would like to stress that they are without merit.

He trusts that they will now cease immediately.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/09/steed-dismisses-quit-rumours/?

WhiteJC

Ruiz still awaiting work permit

Bryan Ruiz is still waiting to receive a British work permit after his move from FC Twente, putting his participation in Sunday's game against Blackburn Rovers in doubt.

Fulham's £10.6m transfer deadline-day signing has yet to train with his new team-mates at Motspur Park and, after the arrival of his work permit at the British Embassy in Madrid was delayed until later this week, Ruiz has been training with fitness staff that Fulham have sent over from London. The Costa Rican winger revealed this slightly unconventional approach to training on Twitter and, with his team-mates not due to return from international duty until after Tuesday's round of European Championship qualifiers and friendlies, familiarising himself with his new side's style of play may have to wait.

Ruiz says he hopes to have his work permit by tomorrow or Thursday. Whether Martin Jol would throw him into a Premier League game from the start after potentially just one day's full training, remains to be seen.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/09/ruiz-still-awaiting-work-permit/?

WhiteJC

Kasami scores as Swiss U21s crush Croatia
by DAN on SEPTEMBER 6, 2011

Fulham's Pajtim Kasami scored as Switzerland's under-21s bounced back from an indifferent start to their European Championship qualifier campaign with a 4-0 thrashing of Croatia in Sion.

The Swiss youngsters, who reached the final of this summer's tournament before losing to Spain, flattered to deceive during a disappointing opening draw with Estonia on Friday night. They put that performance behind them with a display of attacking football that had the Croatians on the back foot from the outset.

Steven Zuber underlined an impressive start with a drilled finish from Rolf Feltscher's cross on eight minutes. Nzuzi Toko put the contest beyond the visitors, who had made a strong start to the second half, with the second goal just after the hour mark. Toko then set up the third for Kasami, who has struggled to establish himself in the Fulham side since a strong home debut against RNK Split, and the Fulham midfielder laid on number four with a clever pass for substitute Haris Seferovic to lash home from just outside the area.

The Swiss, who now have four points from six, take on Georgia next on October 7th.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/09/kasami-scores-as-swiss-u21s-crush-croatia/?

WhiteJC

Clint aims to shine for Klinsmann
by DAN on SEPTEMBER 6, 2011

There's a big interview with Clint Dempsey in today's New York Times. It looks ahead to his first involvement for the United States under new coach Jurgen Klinsmann against Belgium – and perhaps his Fulham team-mate Moussa Dembele – this evening.

Klinsmann has already had plenty to say about Dempsey in his brief tenure. He caused alarm amongst Fulham fans by suggesting that he omitted Dempsey from his first squad because of uncertainty about the player's future at Craven Cottage – perhaps sparking the unsubstantiated rumours that Arsenal were interested in signing the Texan towards the end of the summer transfer window. But, now that he is involved with the national team, Dempsey is eager to make an impression on Klinsmann, who he identifies as having a similar spirit to himself.

I'm looking forward to seeing what I can learn from him and applying it to my game so I can better myself. He has that competitive edge. He's a chill guy, but he's a winner. He wants to win. He wants to make sure that tomorrow we get a result.

Proving himself to a new manager is nothing new to Dempsey. He's had to justify his place in the side to five new coaches in as many years at Fulham and is in the process of convincing Martin Jol of his worth having much missed of the Dutchman's first pre-season at Motspur Park due to his international commitments. It certainly fires the midfielder's competitive juices:

I feel like I bring that competitive edge to games. I'm a fiery person. I wear my emotions on my sleeve, and I always give my all when I play.

[It] comes from those long drives to Dallas when I was a young kid, and the fact that I knew my parents were sacrificing so much to take me to those games. I knew I had to go out there and make the most of those games and get something out of them. It's something that has stayed with me ever since.

I want to show him my game. You have to make the most of where you are, and that's what I'm going to do.

There's also an intriguing discussion over Dempsey's best position, which is particularly relevant to Fulham fans. Since arriving from the New England Revolution, Dempsey has mainly been used as a wide midfielder or as a makeshift striker – most recently filling the void left by an injured Bobby Zamora. It's clear that his most effective position would be in the 'hole' behind the strikers, but Fulham's shape has been such that he's had few opportunities to play there. If Jol modifies the formation to suit the likes of Dempsey, Duff, Dembele and Ruiz he might get more of a chance this season:

Ideally, I don't want to be a target striker. I want to be more of a playmaker. But I will play what's required of me. Whatever helps the team out, that's the most important thing. As long as I'm in the attack, I'm happy.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/09/clint-aims-to-shine-for-klinsmann/?

WhiteJC

Euro Test

Northern Ireland captain Aaron Hughes will lead his team out against Estonia in Tallinn on Tuesday night knowing that a win is needed to keep his country's Euro 2012 qualification dream alive.

Hughes and company currently reside in fifth place in group C after seven games, two points behind second place Slovenia. Group leaders Italy are leading a charge, a further eight points ahead of Slovenia with a game in hand.

Speaking ahead of his side's must-win qualifier at the A Le Coq Arena, Hughes spoke of the need to claim all three points and approach the contest in a positive manner.

"For the first time ever I have to say this is a must-win game," said Hughes. "We know we've got to go and try and win it and try and be positive but at the same time not in a gung ho way that we leave ourselves open.

"We don't need to try and win a game in the first 10 minutes, what we want to do is to try and set out and get a good start and get ourselves established in the game, keep the ball down and get ourselves plenty of confidence.

"Also, we are on their home patch so Estonia are going to be doing the same," said Hughes, who has been capped 78 times for his country. "They will want to get a good result just the same as we do.

"And yes, there will be times when we will have to be patient, but if we get to the last 10 minutes and if it's 0-0 you know you have to throw a bit of caution to the wind."

Northern Ireland's match against Estonia will be shown live on Sky Sports 3 on Tuesday evening from 7.30pm (UK time).

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/HughesEuroPreview.aspx?#ixzz1XAuMZGA9

WhiteJC

Duff & Kelly Start

Fulham's Damien Duff and Stephen Kelly have been named in the Republic of Ireland's starting eleven for Tuesday's Euro 2012 Group B qualifier against Russia in Moscow.

The Republic of Ireland currently reside in second place in Group B, two points behind group B leaders Russia. Tuesday afternoon's match between Russia and Republic of Ireland at the Luzhniki Stadium will be shown live on Sky Sports 2 from 4pm.

Republic of Ireland team to play Russia:

Given (Aston Villa); Kelly (Fulham), Dunne (Aston Villa), O'Dea (Leeds United), Ward (Wolves); Duff (Fulham), Whelan (Stoke City), Andrews (Ipswich Town), McGeady (Spartak Moscow); Keane (LA Galaxy), Doyle (Wolves).

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/DuffKellyStart.aspx?

WhiteJC

Friendly Encounter

Fulham's Clint Dempsey and Mousa Dembele will face each other in an international friendly between Belgium and USA at King Baudouin Stadium in Brussels on Tuesday.

Tuesday's match will be the U.S. Men's National Team's first game in Europe in more than a year as Jurgen Klinsmann searches for his first win as U.S. manager. Dempsey, who leads all U.S. scorers with 22 career goals, will play his first match under Klinsmann.

The match kicks-off at 7.30pm UK time.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/ClintMousaFriendly.aspx?#ixzz1XAuszfC1

WhiteJC

Fulham check on life of Bryan

Bryan Ruiz is training with Fulham's fitness staff as he awaits his work permit and a chance to make his debut for the club.
The Costa Rican striker revealed Fulham had sent fitness coaches to assess his condition with Martin Jol keen to get him involved as soon as the paperwork comes through from the embassy in Madrid, possibly to face Blackburn Rovers this weekend.

Elsewhere, Fulham's Pajtim Kasami scored as Switzerland's under-21s bounced back from an indifferent start to their European Championship qualifier campaign with a 4-0 thrashing of Croatia in Sion last night.

Fulham's Damien Duff and Stephen Kelly have been named in the Republic of Ireland's starting eleven for Tuesday's Euro 2012 Group B qualifier against Russia in Moscow.

Northern Ireland captain Aaron Hughes will lead his team out against Estonia in Tallinn on Tuesday night knowing that a win is needed to keep his country's Euro 2012 qualification dream alive.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/fulham-check-on-life-of-bryan-1278280.html?#.TmYTiWjwKaU

WhiteJC

Blackburn preview

A tale of desperation and the struggle for points and fulfilment in a world where both seem impossible. The game highlights the emotional and physical hothouse effects that bloom for two distressed teams beginning their seasons like rats in a rum barrel: Fulham, behind a placid exterior, hide an untapped intelligence and a yearning for something beyond the emptiness of mid-table safety; Blackburn are arrogant, spoiled and cynical. These complete opposites are united by an urgent desire for more and more and more and more. Triumph for one can only mean disaster for the other. Misery waits.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/09/06/blackburn-preview-2/?

WhiteJC

Malbranque and St Etienne part company after denying quit rumours over ill family member

Steed Malbranque has terminated his contract with St Etienne a day after his representatives denied reports the former Tottenham, Fulham and Sunderland midfielder had retired to care for an ill family member.

Reports emerged from France over the weekend claiming the 31-year-old, who joined Les Verts this summer, had decided to quit as his young son was suffering from cancer.

But a statement released by solicitors working on the instruction of Malbranque's agent, Sebastien Boisseau, made clear the Frenchman does not have a son and that no member of his immediate family was in ill health.

However, this morning the Ligue 1 outfit issued a further statement revealing Malbranque and the club have decided to terminate his contract by mutual agreement.
The statement read: 'At a meeting held Monday night between the management of AS St Etienne and Steed Malbranque, both parties have decided, by mutual agreement, to amicably end their collaboration.

'St Etienne and the player would like to strongly deny all the rumours referring to the health of Steed Malbranque or children that accompanied the decision of the individual.

'This choice is his alone and ASSE fully respects Steed's will.

'The management of AS St Etienne would like to wish Steed the best in his choices and his future life.'

Malbranque's switch to St Etienne last month ended a 10-year stay in English football, during which time he made a total of 336 Premier League appearances.

After impressing at Lyon following his professional debut for the club in 1998, Malbranque secured a move to Fulham in 2001 and went on to make over 200 appearances for the west London outfit.

Malbranque transferred to Spurs in the summer of 2006, going on to make over 60 appearances, before joining Sunderland in 2008.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2034199/Steed-Malbranque-St-Etienne-company-denying-quit-rumours.html#ixzz1XAwNWklm

WhiteJC

Grygera Exclusive

Fulham kicked off their transfer deadline day business last Wednesday with the capture of former Juventus and Ajax defender Zdenek Grygera, who has been settling into his new surroundings over the past few days ahead of Sunday's match against Blackburn Rovers at Craven Cottage.

The versatile Czech defender is clearly relishing the opportunity to play in the Barclays Premier League and having experienced the Cottage atmosphere with Juventus in 2010, is now hoping to taste victory in a Fulham shirt this weekend.

"In the short time that I've been at Fulham I must say that everyone, from the players to staff, has been very welcoming," Grygera told fulhamfc.com. "I feel really good and at home already.

"I'm really happy that I'm able to write another page in my career and experience something new. I think that I can bring a lot of experience to the team. I hope that everything will work out well here and that I will be able to provide something to the team.

"After having played for Ajax and Juventus, what's important for me now is to get used to English football and everything that is required from me to play well.

"The opportunity to play in the Premier League is a big thing for me. Now I want to concentrate on being here and doing well for Fulham in the Premier League.

"We've been working with a small group this week as a lot of players are away on international duty. There is a lot of quality in the squad. There are a few new players in the squad and you are always going to need a bit of time to settle in but we'll try to do this as quickly as possible.

"We all want to prepare well for our next match against Blackburn. I'm looking forward to being involved in games and discovering for myself the atmosphere.

"Even though Craven Cottage is a small stadium there is an atmosphere around the place that makes it a great setting. I hope that we win on Sunday and are able to move forward positively."

Read the full interview with Zdenek Grygera in this Sunday's matchday programme when Fulham take on Blackburn Rovers at Craven Cottage (KO 4pm).

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/GrygeraInterview.aspx?#ixzz1XAwuTRaE

WhiteJC

Murphy's Law: Ruiz to add goal threat Fulham have only had with Zamora?

"Without Zamora Fulham have had no real threat in the final third of the pitch. This is particularly exposed away from home where chances are always limited and quality is needed to hold up play and bring players into the game"

With only one point and one goal from the opening three games it's been a disastrous start to the Premier League campaign for Fulham.

Despite this poor run of form in the league we can still take some positive from the summer. Fulham still have an unbeaten home record in Europe and have qualified for the group stages guaranteeing Europa League football until Christmas.

Then in the last few hours of the last day of the transfer window Fulham brought in Bryan Ruiz, a player with a good goal scoring record.

The Premier League may be a step up from the Dutch league but Ruiz is a step up from Andy Johnson. It has been three years since Fulham spent a similar figure for Andy Johnson and despite his hard work he is the player that will have to settle for a supporting role.

Ruiz is a well rated player in Europe and was on many Premier league teams radar, I think Jol has made a really good signing.

Fulham have lost the last three matches, to Wolves, Dnipro and Newcastle all three games were away from home and Zamora was unavailable for all of them.

Without Zamora Fulham have had no real threat in the final third of the pitch. This is particularly exposed away from home where chances are always limited and quality is needed to hold up play and bring players into the game.

Now with Ruiz in the ranks we have quality options with or without Zamora.

Fulham take on Blackburn at the Cottage this weekend, it will be nice to see Keano back but I will be expecting Fulham to pile the pressure on his job and record their first win of the campaign.

Blackburn has had a worse start than Fulham and despite some activity in the transfer window I don't think they have brought in any real quality.

It's been a slow start but I'm still optimistic about this season and have got my passport ready for the European Tour.

Prediction: Fulham 2 Blackburn 0

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/murphy_s_law_ruiz_to_add_goal_threat_fulham_have_only_had_with_zamora_1_1014242?

WhiteJC

Ruiz being brought up to speed

Bryan Ruiz is training with Fulham's fitness staff as he awaits his work permit and a chance to make his debut for the club.

The Costa Rican striker revealed Fulham had sent fitness coaches to assess his condition with Martin Jol keen to get him involved as soon as the paperwork comes through from the embassy in Madrid, possibly to face Blackburn Rovers this weekend.
Elsewhere, Fulham's Pajtim Kasami scored as Switzerland's under-21s bounced back from an indifferent start to their European Championship qualifier campaign with a 4-0 thrashing of Croatia in Sion last night.

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/ruiz-being-brought-up-to-speed-1278280.html?

WhiteJC

Euro Memories

As Fulham prepare for the Group Stage of this season's UEFA Europa League, the official matchday programme is inviting supporters to share their favourite memories of the Club's past forays onto European shores, in the Europa League, InterToto, or even the Anglo-Italian Cup.

Ahead of every home UEFA Europa League fixture, we'll be asking supporters to vote for their top three in a variety of Euro-related categories, from our toughest Euro opponents, to the best European goals.

We'll add up the votes and print the results, along with some of our favourite supporting comments, in the official matchday progamme for the next UEFA Europa League match.

To get us started, we're asking you to vote for your top three Fulham European memories.

Simply visit the official Fulham FC Facebook page, and give us your top three, along with a sentence explaining why each choice stands out so much in your mind.

Then, be sure to buy the Fulham v FC Twente matchday programme next week to see the results...
Your Euro Memories:
Share with us your Top 3 Fulham in Europe Memories and see the results in the Fulham v FC Twente matchday programme on Thursday 15th September.

Using Fulham's official Facebook page comment area, please share your 1, 2, 3, including a sentence explaining why each memory sticks in your mind so much.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/EuroMemories.aspx?#ixzz1XAxnvbRS

WhiteJC

Kasami On Target

Fulham's Pajtim Kasami was on the scoresheet for Switzerland's U21 team on Monday night in a 4-0 Euro U21 2013 qualifying win over Croatia.

Having draw 0-0 with Estonia last week, the Swiss cruised to a comfortable victory in Sion, with Kasami scoring the third goal of the night.

Switzerland, now two points behind group leaders Spain, are next in action on October 7th against Georgia.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/September/KasamiOnTarget.aspx?#ixzz1XAyAVgIu

WhiteJC

Swansea City deadline day signings await clearance

Swansea City are awaiting clearance for their transfer deadline day signings Rafik Halliche and Darnel Situ.

The Swans agreed a four-month loan deal for Fulham centre-back Halliche and a two-year permanent deal for Situ from French club Lens on 31 August.

Swansea hope both will be available for their Premier League trip to Arsenal's Emirates Stadium on Saturday.

But Fede Bessone's deadline-day arrival from Leeds has been completed after Fifa granted international clearance.

Defender Bessone was released from his Elland Road contract to return to the Liberty Stadium, signing sign a two-year deal after 12 months at Leeds.

But the Premier League newcomers are still anxiously waiting for clarification from the footballing authorities regarding the completion of Halliche and Situ's signings.

Swansea insist their required paperwork was submitted well before Wednesday's 2300 BST transfer deadline.

But such was the unprecedented volume of transfer activity throughout Europe on the final day of the summer transfer window, Fifa have a backlog of transfers to confirm.

The Premier League is also required to approve Swansea's new signings and BBC Sport is awaiting a comment from the league to check the latest status of the transfers.

Swansea did suffer international clearance disappointment from Fifa when David Edgar's proposed move from Burnley collapsed in January.

Swans boss Brendan Rodgers wants Algerian international centre-back Halliche and French teenager Situ to be cleared as Swansea have little defensive cover.

Captain Garry Monk is still short of match fitness as the centre-back recovers from a foot problem while Alan Tate is out for six months after breaking his left leg.

Rodgers' only current back-up to his first-choice backline is youngsters Daniel Alfei and Joe Walsh, who himself has a groin problem.

Algerian international Halliche has played just twice for Fulham since joining in August 2010.

Meanwhile, Swansea's home match with Stoke City has been put back 24 hours to Sunday, 2 October as Tony Pulis' men will be in Europa League action on the previous Thursday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14804759.stm?