watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Beaten by a quality side...

Started by LBNo11, March 11, 2010, 10:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

...no dishonour there. Poor defensively from set pieces (again) though, something that needs to be sorted. Konch finding his feet, certainly not match fit. Elm and Riise out, taken ill before the game, no Murphy, no Pantsil, Greening too many silly fouls and giving away possession in midfield, Schwarz, some great saves but I wish he would hold onto the ball more, beaten in the air too often in our box too. Referee poor, lino dreadful, what offside law did he apply?

We were not given time to get 'our' shape and were kept on the back-foot by a quality team - why didn't they play like that against Ajax in two legs..?
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

jarv

I thought Juventus were poor 2nd half. They are gambling on 3-1 that Fulham cannot score 2 goals at home so decided to play the old Italian way and hold on to what they have. What a shame about the 3rd (freak) goal.

The game at the cottage should be a good one.

FatFreddysCat

I didn't think they was all that, just for once we was very poor, i cant believe how many set pieces they got the better of us, for fecks sake Brede is 9ft 4, Etuhu is a monster, Hughes small for a CB but good, Jesus aint a small bloke neither is Gera or BZ. We can still do it, but it will have to be one of Fulhams best results ever. Very dissapointed, not because Juve were good, but because we was so sh1t. :046:

LBNo11

...yes we were poor, but Juve were playing at a canter and looked like they could easily step up a gear if they wanted too, they made us look bad by being in control. They contained us easily, especially as our attacking play more often or not went backwards!

That said, I think they will not find it so easy at Craven Cottage...

Admin

Quote from: LBNo11 on March 11, 2010, 10:03:11 PM
...no dishonour there. Poor defensively from set pieces (again) though, something that needs to be sorted. Konch finding his feet, certainly not match fit. Elm and Riise out, taken ill before the game, no Murphy, no Pantsil, Greening too many silly fouls and giving away possession in midfield, Schwarz, some great saves but I wish he would hold onto the ball more, beaten in the air too often in our box too. Referee poor, lino dreadful, what offside law did he apply?

We were not given time to get 'our' shape and were kept on the back-foot by a quality team - why didn't they play like that against Ajax in two legs..?

To be honest Ed, we made Juv look good tonight with sloppy defending, poor passing and another lack of desire to press forward. Juv didn't have us in their pocket what so ever and were gifted chance after chance as we seemed to take 90 minutes just to find out what formation we were playing. At times, I don't think Juv could believe how much of an easy outing they were getting from a Fulham side that just knocked out the holders Shakthar.

All night, our midfield sprayed balls all over the park with 90% of them ended up at a Juv players feet. Greening and Baird were terrible tonight and looked so out of his depth at this level and why the hell Woy threw both Konch and Dempsey into an important game like this was beyond me...

Are Juventus any good? No... They are no better than Basle or Roma, we were just utter cack when we needed to perform on the clubs biggest night in history sorry.

LBNo11

...I'm not denying we played badly guys, but they beat us with experience. You know the saying, the more I practice the luckier I get!

If we had scored another goal it may have got nervy, but we never looked like scoring again, and if we had, I think we may have conceded again if Juve had started to push...

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

the size of the match got to us-and i'm not that suprized really,all we have from us, the papers,Sky is how big this match is,I know I've done it myself, and the players must have been doing it as well and it all became too much,thing is they now know that they deserve to be on the same pitch as Juve,but i think we have missed our chance now,still,I've been wrong before.........

FatFreddysCat

We had a little five minute spell at 2-1 down where i really thought we might even go on and win this, not settle for a draw, but Davies completely missed the ball on a sitter situation. I cant see us being as poor defensively again, but 2 goals might be to much to claw back. But as i said, it'll be a packed Cottage, if we score early and get behind the team, you never know. COYWS.

Steve_orino

Just got back from the pub and even the loss couldn't spoil my first chance to see Fulham in the Europa League!  I'm normally at work during the games and catch up with the scores when I get home...

2-0 isn't impossible, nor is 3-1 to us...it would make for an extremely historic game and a wonderful night!  COYW's!
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Steve_orino on March 11, 2010, 11:53:07 PM
Just got back from the pub and even the loss couldn't spoil my first chance to see Fulham in the Europa League!  I'm normally at work during the games and catch up with the scores when I get home...

2-0 isn't impossible, nor is 3-1 to us...it would make for an extremely historic game and a wonderful night!  COYW's!
Good on yer Steve, i used to look forward to beating Brentford, so when i say i'm dissapointed that we lost away to Juve, you can see how far we have advanced.

HatterDon

I'm with the tall, shiny-headed gentleman. We were well beaten by a better side who played better on the day. I'm not full-on Lighthouse about the second leg, but I'm not expecting a result either.

We have not slipped in and out of European competition unnoticed. We beat some good sides and performed when we had to. We handed the reigning champions their asses in a hat, and we should have gotten 4 points of Roma, come to that. And we've done all that while putting together a fantastic run in the FA Cup and while beating the likes of ManUre, Everton, and Liverpool at our patch. We have proved that we belong on any pitch in the world.

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

jarv

Agree with hatterdon. I watched the game on tv and normally get upset when we are losing. Today, i thought we played poorly at times but not the whole game. I did not expect to win so was pleased about the positive bits, the return will be different.

Greening was not up to it, nor Gera tonight. Would like to see Baird in midfield and Dempsey supporting BZ in the return.

Frankly, would rather see us beat tottenham. Wemb-ur-lee.

The Equalizer

I think it would've been a totally different result if Etuhu had been taken off the pitch. He made a couple of decent tackles and was incredibly lucky with that wayward shot that got our goal, but he was at fault for 1 of the goals that we conceded simply because he stood back and let them advance instead of tackling or at the very least, blocking the path of a run.

Considering that we're pretty well known as a decent passing side, I thought we were poor last night. The distribution to the forwards ended up at the feet of Juve players 70% of the time it seemed. Instead of them being class, I think that we made them look better than they were. Okay, 2 of the goals were corking strikes, but why did the 3rd ever happen? 2 mins stoppage time, 3 mins played, the ref has the whistle in his mouth and his hand in the air to call half time, then he takes the whistle out of his mouth as Juve look like they're on to a winner... WTF??

I'm disappointed that we didn't play better last night. I really feel that we could've beaten them had we not been so tired. I'm looking forward to next week, I feel that we've still got a very good chance at this.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

blingo

Get your Blingo hats back on. I did say over 180 minutes. Its only half time and we are a second half team  :045: :045: :045: :045:

TonyGilroy

We conceded soft goals and it must be posssible that some of those who played were under the weather with the bug that stopped Elm and Riise playing.

Having said that though Juventus were pure quality. Not with amazing speed, skill and trickery but sheer nous and savvy.

That's Hodgson's strength and we were playing the masters. Our threats - Zamora and Duff - were allowed no space. We had as much of the ball as we wanted but only where it didn't matter. As we tried to advance the gaps closed, the space disappeared and we were either forced to hoof forward or retreat.

Juventus were excellent and we will need to be very lucky (or give them the bug) to score two at Craven Cottage.

We were comprehensively out Hodgsoned.

McBridefan1

you're all saying it but you're not listening to yourselves... we played some very poor football, even with that we had some patches of the game where we did impose our will... we had them on the back foot and were attacking in waves towards the end of the first half. We had three great chances to score and we were unlucky and harshly done by the ref. The third goal made it very tough, but before that goal at 2:45 of a 2 minute extra time first half, we were the team dictating the game. When they return to the cottage they will be roundly beaten, and you will see more italian hand wringing and gesticulations and diving and whining than you can shake a shillelagh at... mark my words.

Dugliss

McBridefan1

yes well apparently in the second half they stuck to the minimum...