more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A stunning stat!

Started by HatterDon, November 18, 2011, 11:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Saw this in one of the Match Previews for Saturday

QuoteFulham have conceded a joint-league high 33% of their goals in the final 15 minutes of games this season.

Is anyone else as stunned to read this as I was? Is this just a result of the Everton and Spurs matches? This tendency was a hallmark of the Lawrie Sanchez regime. I thought that, during both Hodgson's and Hughes's tenure we were safer in the last 15 minutes. It also seemed to me that, under Coleman, we were more likely to pick up points at the death than drop them.

I'm sure timmyg or some other figure filbert could confirm or deny those memories.

Not trying to "pile on" Jol or anything, but inquiring minds ... .
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

MJG

I have been a fulham fan for 35+years and I have never felt safe even when four goals up entering the last 15 minutes.

I think its got more to do with the fact we have been not scoring first in games. Hence we are chasing all the time. We get back into the game and then are up against it for the last 15 minutes.

finnster01

Shows lack of training/fitness and composure. People make mistakes when they are tired. Martin Jol isn't exactly known for running "hard" practices.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Lighthouse

What it shows is we have been chasing games and will be open to teams breaking away and scoring. No more or less than that. We are so poor in front of goal that until we actually have players who do not wet themselves when they have a chance and can actually put the ball in the net we will always suffer from late goals conceded. The problem is the more chances we make and miss the less we want to try to be in a position to miss. Hence the need for our forwards to rush out to the wings and cross.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 18, 2011, 11:45:12 AM
What it shows is we have been chasing games and will be open to teams breaking away and scoring. No more or less than that. We are so poor in front of goal that until we actually have players who do not wet themselves when they have a chance and can actually put the ball in the net we will always suffer from late goals conceded. The problem is the more chances we make and miss the less we want to try to be in a position to miss. Hence the need for our forwards to rush out to the wings and cross.

This.

BalDrick

It's no doubt slightly skewed by the last 2 home games, but I agree with the above poster, we really don't look that good in front of goal at the moment (take away the 6-0 and our GF column makes piss-poor reading). There will be an element of self-fulfilling phrophecy about this too in that managers will know what happened in those 2 games and will make a point of reminding their teams at half-time, and indeed from the touchline later on in the 2nd half.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

fulham pete

Smurf is usually off the field for the last 15. Any connection or just co-incidence?

MJG

Quote from: fulham pete on November 18, 2011, 12:33:59 PM
Smurf is usually off the field for the last 15. Any connection or just co-incidence?
I do not really recall a game where Murphy has gone off and we have improved. He is key to how we play and the sooner we can change that the better.

ffcfairy

When you look at the Everton and Tottenham game, the 3rd goal both times (and 2nd in everton game) came within pretty much 5 minutes of one of us making a mistake e.g Bobbys Miss against and Everton and the moment Kyle Walker became a goal keeper! Its like they mess up, sulk and then bang our opponents score!

horse1031

I am sure the Everton game did not help at all.  Add in that Spurs debacle and that is 3 goals in the last 5 minutes alone.

oops, didnt see what FFCFairy wrote.  Is there an echo in here?

horse1031

Quote from: MJG on November 18, 2011, 12:38:22 PM
Quote from: fulham pete on November 18, 2011, 12:33:59 PM
I do not really recall a game where Murphy has gone off and we have improved. He is key to how we play and the sooner we can change that the better.

agreed.

timmyg

So far this season we've conceded 5 goals in the final 15 minutes: 2 from Everton, 1 from Spurs, 2 from Stoke. Honestly, can't really see a trend if you consider each game.

But, last season we conceded 2 goals in the last 15 mins, total, all season.

2009-10: 7
2008-09: 10
2007-08: 16
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

MrWhite

can only imagine what the stats are for the first 15 and final 15 minutes...

HatterDon

Quote from: timmyg on November 18, 2011, 04:51:48 PM
So far this season we've conceded 5 goals in the final 15 minutes: 2 from Everton, 1 from Spurs, 2 from Stoke. Honestly, can't really see a trend if you consider each game.

But, last season we conceded 2 goals in the last 15 mins, total, all season.

2009-10: 7
2008-09: 10
2007-08: 16

What I remembered under Sanchez was absolute terrror after 75 minutes, and increasing confidence under Roy and Sparky. I also seem to remember that, under Cookie, we were quite likely to get a point late in matches where we were being played off the park.

As I said, the quote just jarred me a little.

timmyg

Quote from: MrWhite on November 18, 2011, 05:15:48 PM

If you go here then scroll down to 'TIME OF GOALS', you can see the breakdown:  http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team/stats?id=370&cc=5901 (change year at the top of the page)

May make a post on CCN about this after tomorrow's fixture...
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

HatterDon

Quote from: timmyg on November 18, 2011, 09:08:52 PM
Quote from: MrWhite on November 18, 2011, 05:15:48 PM

If you go here then scroll down to 'TIME OF GOALS', you can see the breakdown:  http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team/stats?id=370&cc=5901 (change year at the top of the page)

May make a post on CCN about this after tomorrow's fixture...

ah, my nefarious plot has borne fruit!

Not implying you're a fruit, timmyg; it's just a figure of speech.