News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Hull manager put on gardening leave (BBC)

Started by ImperialWhite, March 15, 2010, 11:27:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImperialWhite

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hull_city/8567985.stm

Hull City put manager Phil Brown on gardening leave
Breaking news

Hull City manager Phil Brown has been relieved of his duties at the KC Stadium and put on gardening leave.

Assistant boss Brian Horton and Steve Parkin will take charge of the Tigers' first-team until further notice.

After Saturday's last-gasp defeat by Arsenal, Hull are second from bottom of the Premier League and three points adrift of safety, with nine games left.

Chairman Adam Pearson revealed the club's board felt it had to act now to try to keep Hull in the top flight.

In a statement, Pearson said: "Retention of Premier League status is paramount and the board believes that a change in managerial direction is the correct option at this time.

"The club will keep supporters completely up-to-date in respect of any managerial appointment but, in the meantime, Brian Horton and Steve Parkin will prepare the team for our important game at Portsmouth next Saturday."

More follows.

finnster01

Not much to do in the garden this time of the year, is it?

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

I probably will see Phil Brown with his fake tan and a big medallion playing the keyboard next time I take a cruise
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

The Doctor

Quote from: finnster01 on March 15, 2010, 11:35:36 AM
Not much to do in the garden this time of the year, is it?

Mine could use some work.  One of those jobs I never get round to.  If anyone has Phil's number, let me know.  I'm sure he'll be grateful for something to do.

ImperialWhite

I think they might be making a mistake here, in my opinion. Granted, financially they must be desperate to stay in the Prem, but if anyone has overachieved it's Brown taking Hull from the Championship relegation zone to the Prem and surviving a season.

Last season's double and theft of Bullard aside, I think it will be a bit of a shame if they're relegated - it's nice seeing new faces in the league.

I suppose Brown will appreciate the time to look after his tan!

AlFayedsChequebook

Strange time to get rid of him, who the hell would want the Hull job? Especially since they are meant to be in a really bad financial state behind the scenes!

finnster01

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on March 15, 2010, 12:03:33 PM
Strange time to get rid of him, who the hell would want the Hull job? Especially since they are meant to be in a really bad financial state behind the scenes!
Lawrie Sanchez is looking for a job
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Dragoman

Quote from: finnster01 on March 15, 2010, 12:17:02 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on March 15, 2010, 12:03:33 PM
Lawrie Sanchez is looking for a job

Judging from the length of time that Sanchez has been out of work I bet he's got a better garden than Alan Titchmarsh !

ImperialWhite

In football terms, what is the difference between going on gardening leave and just being sacked? Does it essentially mean that they are still paying him, for whatever reason?

Admin

In the United Kingdom, garden leave (or gardening leave) describes the practice whereby an employee who is leaving a job (having resigned or otherwise been terminated) is instructed to stay away from work during their notice period, while still remaining on the payroll. This practice is often used to prevent employees from taking with them up-to-date (and perhaps sensitive) information when they leave their current employer, especially when they are leaving to join a competitor.

Employees continue to receive their normal pay during garden leave and are covered by any contractual duties, such as confidentiality agreements, until their notice period expires.

The term can also be used when an employee is sent home whilst subject to disciplinary proceedings, when they are between projects, or where, as a result of publicity, their presence at work is considered counter-productive. The Tracey Temple affair is an instance of the latter case.

The term is frequently used in Formula One motor racing to describe what happens when valued technical staff choose to move between teams. In an attempt to prevent proprietary information about performance and design falling into competitors' hands, the engineer in question is placed on garden leave, sometimes for many months, to ensure that when he is finally able to join his new employer his knowledge is no longer current (or useful).

Dragoman

Quote from: ImperialWhite on March 15, 2010, 01:41:07 PM
In football terms, what is the difference between going on gardening leave and just being sacked? Does it essentially mean that they are still paying him, for whatever reason?

Yes, I think that technically he is still an employee of Hull and he is still being paid by the club.  Gardening leave is not a phrase you hear much in the world of football and why Phil Brown is subject to this I've no idea. The usual understanding is that while someone is on gardening leave they are prohibited from working elsewhere for the duration.

HatterDon

Megson sacked
Brown sacked
All I need now to make my season perfect is for Fulham to get to Wembley.

Who says Mondays are dreary?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Fernhurst

Blimey .... that's topical after yesterday's posts..... strange time to pick .... who the heck is going get them out the pickle they are in????

Brown might apply for the Liverpool job at the end of the season, but expect him to end up at Mansfield Town next year.

If his contract is sound we should not feel sorry, the pay off will keep him afloat.

Plainly obvious his ambition didn't match his ability.

Will Mark Huges and Alan Curbishley be turning their phones off this afternoon??

ImperialWhite

Quote from: Fernhurst on March 15, 2010, 02:34:13 PM

Plainly obvious his ambition didn't match his ability.

To be fair, his job was to keep them out of the relegation zone and then get them promoted - which he duly did. Interestingly, they are also the third fastest rise from bottom to top of the leagues in history after Swansea and Wimbledon.

Fernhurst

To be completely unfair IW... IMHO always thought he was a daft plick who lent heavily on his contacts from his coaching days to pick up players he bought by the yard.

Logicalman

Quote from: ImperialWhite on March 15, 2010, 11:44:05 AM
I think they might be making a mistake here, in my opinion. Granted, financially they must be desperate to stay in the Prem, but if anyone has overachieved it's Brown taking Hull from the Championship relegation zone to the Prem and surviving a season.

Last season's double and theft of Bullard aside, I think it will be a bit of a shame if they're relegated - it's nice seeing new faces in the league.

I suppose Brown will appreciate the time to look after his tan!

IW, the problem with over-achieving is that you ARE over-achieving, and it has to come to an end at some point. For the Marmite Man, that time has come, he can take (or keep) Hull no further.
Perhaps JB will pick up another injury and then Phil can join him for some Fishing Leave. But I won't carp on about that, Phil's off his perch now.

Lighthouse

He did buy players and try to strengthen Hull. Sadly it never really worked that well. If you look at the side there are one or two players who show flashes of skill and then fade.

But my garden is in a real state and frankly I could do with someone coming round and cleaning it up and putting a fence up all for free of coarse. If you are reading this Phil come on over.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

WhiteJC

perhaps Hu££ard will be their next manager  :023:

timmyg

So, is this like what happened to Baltimore's most-recent mayor who plead guilty (okay, it was an Alford Plea) to embezzlement, perjury, and other sorts of things but got to keep her $83,000 pension?
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

cebu

Quote from: timmyg on March 15, 2010, 05:28:25 PM
So, is this like what happened to Baltimore's most-recent mayor who plead guilty (okay, it was an Alford Plea) to embezzlement, perjury, and other sorts of things but got to keep her $83,000 pension?
Now I know I was in the wrong line of business!  :003:

HatterDon

It is interesting [and somewhat suspicious] that he's fired

a. the day after his 10-man side nearly nicked a point off a very in-form Arsenal AND
b. just before Hull are about to start playing the Pompeys, Fulhams, Blackburns of the league.

I watched the Arsenal match, and Hull looked very composed and dangerous in the 2nd half. Despite being a man down and playing a goal-scoring machine, they looked much more likely to score in the second half than did Arsenal -- until they pulled their strikers to "ensure" the draw.

The timing reminds me of Cookie's firing. If anyone can pull 7-9 points out of the bag for their next 6 matches, they might keep Hull up and be a hero. If, on the other hand, Hull perform just as crappy as they did under Brown, then Phil will be blamed. Remember, Sanchez got ONE WHOLE WIN after Cookie was fired and "saved" Fulham from relegation in the process. Yeah, right.

Having said all that, Brown is such a pillock I don't really care all that much that he got shafted.  :005:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel