watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

'Like' and 'Dislike' buttons

Started by The Equalizer, December 13, 2011, 12:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Equalizer

Would it be possible for the already overworked WhiteJC to schwang up a couple of buttons so that us forumites can like or dislike other poster's comments?

Kind of a la Facebook.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Ron Sheepskin

Schwang???????

My new favourite word, right now. <like>
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

ron

Quote from: The Equalizer on December 13, 2011, 12:54:00 PM
Would it be possible for the already overworked WhiteJC to schwang up a couple of buttons so that us forumites can like or dislike other poster's comments?

Kind of a la Facebook.

Surely the best way to express like or dislike is by posting a reasoned argument for or against the post, rather than resorting to an electronic form of the "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" from the Roman arenas?

.....by the way, I read somewhere lately that the "Thumbs" signal was used in the opposite way that we all thought for ages....so that "Finish him off" was conveyed by the "Thumbs up" sign.

Quite an important sign to get right !

WhiteJC

Kind of a la Facebook.

I'm in the process of upgrading the site to SMF ver 2, I'll have a look at what can be added

BalDrick

Kind of a la Facebook.

Should this go to the floor, I'm not in favour of it I hasten to add. This board functions so well because people, for the most part, use words not symbols (might be a sign of age but I hate it when people festoon their posts with 'hilarious' smiley faces et al).

What I would like to see, whilst we're on the subject, is a Top button. Once I've posted this, it'll be on my screen, but what I want to do is go to the top and hit the Show unread posts...button.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

The Equalizer

Quote from: BalDrick on December 13, 2011, 02:40:18 PM

Kind of a la Facebook.

Should this go to the floor, I'm not in favour of it I hasten to add. This board functions so well because people, for the most part, use words not symbols (might be a sign of age but I hate it when people festoon their posts with 'hilarious' smiley faces et al).

What I would like to see, whilst we're on the subject, is a Top button. Once I've posted this, it'll be on my screen, but what I want to do is go to the top and hit the Show unread posts...button.

:046:

:dft012:
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

LBNo11

...sorry Eq, I'm personally against it. Bearing in mind that usually on facebook you are commenting on what friends or family say, on here we do not know other members other than through one common link, in my view such 'buttons' would lead to pride and prejudice.

Re the smileys/emoticons, excessive use, in particular of one type is frowned upon (see rules of this MB) and if seen or notified will be removed by a mod...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

dweiss

I don't think that it would be helpful for the general relationship of the members of the forum if we are going to put up like and dislike buttons on posts. Simply put, it would cause tension between members who are going to be on the receiving end of everything.

And as the forum progresses, it would be just about being able to comment and say your piece in response to what has been posted, right?

Logicalman

I have to come down on the side of the dissenters in this. Both for the reasons already stated, and also we have made a firm effort to avoid 'popularity' contests on this site, as they can become divisive, in much the same way as the disastrous 'top 5' posters the offal had for a while, before they realized how much of a living monster it had become.