News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I've always thought it and now dempseys comment makes me feel like i'm right...

Started by Tktd, March 19, 2010, 10:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tktd

That quite a lot of football isn't necessarily about skill but luck, or consistantancy in making runs, and all the bits inbetween like passing.

When it comes to in and around the goal though, many players must in most situations not be able to think about what they're doing much and they must just hope it comes off. Obviously by being a professional player and having the facilities to practice bring down the odds a bit but apart from that...

I remember Drogbas goal against Wolves when he chipped it in from the edge of the six yard box by the goal line, and Lampards goal of similar nature against Barcelona! Is their legendary status in the game more due to perserverance of trying things with a few well tweaked skills like heading etc and just shooting more often then most?

I've always thought that in much of the game it's a lot to do with luck of the draw - if you're born quick then it helps etc etc...

Jimpav

It's a valid point that you make Tktd but I think that wonder goals tend to be the icing on the cake. You can score an amazing goal and still fade to relative obscurity but being a great player is much more than luck, it's about consistently being at the top of your game in whatever role you play.

Lighthouse

Also down to the point of view of who is giving the opinion. Juve will say Dempseys goal was a poor one to concede. Poor defending and Keeping.

Any goal we concede is a mistake by a Fulham player. Any goal we score, even if a Fulham player never touches it, is down to our brilliance.  It is all down to the eye of the beholder.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

clintclintdeuce

We looked like Brazil on our second goal! :dft008: that was all precision and skill
The Dude abides.

bobby01

Quote from: Jimpav on March 19, 2010, 10:58:47 AM
It's a valid point that you make Tktd but I think that wonder goals tend to be the icing on the cake. You can score an amazing goal and still fade to relative obscurity but being a great player is much more than luck, it's about consistently being at the top of your game in whatever role you play.

Papa Boupa Diop springs to mind hereMr jimpav. He lived on his wonder goal against Manure but never really threatened a repeat.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

White Noise

I think Roy keeps the players under strict instructions not to lose possession needlessly and because of that we don't usually try many speculative or long range shots. Dempsey seems to run contrary to this and has taken far more shots this season than any other player at Fulham. For a period at the start of this season he held the record for the most shots without having scored in the whole division. He was aware of this but said he was convinced the goals would eventually come if he kept plugging away. And they did. Dempsey has always come across as a massively confident player but fortunately one who knows he has to work hard. The main difference between him and a lot of players is that he is not afraid to try things.