News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Re: Hammersmith End Acoustics - The Evidence...

Started by LBNo11, November 04, 2012, 12:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

...my Everton supporting mate said our vocal support was embarrassing and to be honest he is right, but the pictures shown on the first page of this old post once again show that filling that void with a curved back would at least help the sound carry a bit farther than the half-way line...

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

nickmuir

After the riverside is done they will start working on the putney end and the hammer end

Herbie

:025:

I'm a bit tired with this obsession for a wall of noise.  The cottage rocks when it needs to.  The games against Birmingham in the great escape season, or against Juve and Hamburg spring to mind.

For those supporters that want noise or think that the atmosphere needs picking up, then sing for the entire game and set an example.  Those that just want to watch the football will join in when they want to give the boys a lift. Simples.

alfie

Quote from: Herbie on November 04, 2012, 12:39:39 AM

I'm a bit tired with this obsession for a wall of noise.  The cottage rocks when it needs to.  The games against Birmingham in the great escape season, or against Juve and Hamburg spring to mind.

For those supporters that want noise or think that the atmosphere needs picking up, then sing for the entire game and set an example.  Those that just want to watch the football will join in when they want to give the boys a lift. Simples.

It sounds great when you are in the Hammersmith end, but go down to the Putney end and you can hardly hear a mutter.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

LBNo11

...@Herbie you say the cottage rocks when it needs to; so maybe it would be better that those of us who give vocal support no matter how we are doing just become like the rest of the mute majority and only sing when we are in a relegation scenario. Well that would encourage the players!

For your information there are a few who sing throughout the game, but with a ruddy great void at the back of the HE a huge amount of noise is dumped into the concourse below. If the sound was projected forwards it would encourage more of the crowd to come out of their shells and sing too, and maybe, create a better atmosphere so that the Fulham players would be spurred on to play even better before we are in dire straits.

Each to their own in how they support their team, but don't criticise me for trying to help create a better, constant atmosphere by suggesting a temporary construction at the back of the stand until the Hammersmith End is rebuilt...

Herbie

Sorry LB, my reply wasn't intended as a criticism of your suggestion, it was more a comment on the ever-present suggestion that Fulham fans are not very good supporters of the club because there is not a wall of noise for the entire 90 minutes. 

I don't think it's right for others (and I am not aiming this at you) to tell people how they should support their club, unless it is anti-social behaviour, in which case the person must be told.

One thing that is clear to me is that teams do not like coming to play at the cottage.  We have an awesome home record and have had for a number of years.  I would suggest therefore that our support is not doggy do do, as is the claim that is often thrown in our faces by the away fans.  For our own fans that think we do not sing enough, my suggestion was simply to set the example by getting it going; however, if others choose not to join in then that is their right.  It doesn't mean their love for the club is any less. 

Me-ate-Live, innit??

As Boris is giving us all free lagging  and insulation   ....... .perhaps Fulham could apply  for the hole in the wall  :038:
http://www.london.gov.uk/priorities/environment/climate-change/energy-efficiency/homes-energy-efficiency-for-tomorrow

ScalleysDad

This was covered before was'nt it. The roof has to come downwards and outwards and the corners 'wrapped' as an engineer once said, probably on here. Filling in the gaps might help but I think the issue was projecting the sound outwards and effectively forcing it that way. Of course the away team choirs have the advantage of being grouped together and standing without being hassled.

Fletchino

Just wondered if we ever got anywhere with this would be great to improve the atmosphere at home games.

domprague

Bring it on. It wouldn't cost much in the grand scheme of things and would make a big difference to the team and the atmosphere. Mind you, making sure that there aren't away fans in the Riverside would help.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

LBNo11

...from Burt's exclusive interview with Tommy Guthrie:-

Q "ARE THE CLUB AWARE OF THE MASSIVE VOID AT THE BACK OF THE HAMMERSMITH END WHICH AFFECT THE PROJECTION OF THE FANS ACTUAL LOUDNESS?"

Tommy's reply: "We are. We had a company in to assess it a while back but it was awkward to find a solution we were comfortable with, so at the moment it is unlikely to change. It might be something we look at once some other work has been completed – at the moment we are focusing on upgrades to the concourse areas and the toilets which should make a difference".

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

:plus one:

domprague

Quote from: alfie on November 04, 2012, 10:08:24 AM

I'm a bit tired with this obsession for a wall of noise.  The cottage rocks when it needs to.  The games against Birmingham in the great escape season, or against Juve and Hamburg spring to mind.

For those supporters that want noise or think that the atmosphere needs picking up, then sing for the entire game and set an example.  Those that just want to watch the football will join in when they want to give the boys a lift. Simples.

It sounds great when you are in the Hammersmith end, but go down to the Putney end and you can hardly hear a mutter.

[/quuote]

Exactly. So away fans go on and on how about 'your support is ....'
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

NorfolkJim

Quote from: LBNo11 on July 04, 2013, 09:44:25 AM
...from Burt's exclusive interview with Tommy Guthrie:-

Q "ARE THE CLUB AWARE OF THE MASSIVE VOID AT THE BACK OF THE HAMMERSMITH END WHICH AFFECT THE PROJECTION OF THE FANS ACTUAL LOUDNESS?"

Tommy's reply: "We are. We had a company in to assess it a while back but it was awkward to find a solution we were comfortable with, so at the moment it is unlikely to change. It might be something we look at once some other work has been completed – at the moment we are focusing on upgrades to the concourse areas and the toilets which should make a difference".

Better toilets would be great and while your at it, please look at that tiny flight of steps down from behind H4/5 which is a nightmare to negotiate.
BUT..................None of that is going to improve the atmosphere, which many of us would like the club to look at. It's clear that somehow the Putney end accoustics are better than the Hammersmith end and this void may be part of it (Though I also think the shape of the original roof retains some of the noise inside the stand giving the impression that its loud but not allowing it to carry out onto the pitch to encourage our players).

Joe McDonald

Has anyone got the stand capacity figures for the Hammy and Putney ends?  If the acoustics are better at the Putney end, why not make that the home end again, like the old days?

That way visiting fans can have a laugh at the Jacko statue too.