watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Zoltan Gera- Penalty King

Started by Rupert, March 20, 2010, 12:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rupert

I'm not surprised that nobody has mentioned this yet, given the events of yesterday (currently The Greatest Day in the History of Creation), but hats off to Gera for the penalty.

Think about it. We were 2-1 up on the night, but still 4-3 down on aggregate. Score the penalty and we are in the driving seat, miss and we get a bit deflated, Juventus maybe think their luck has turned and they can keep us out. Remember the elation we felt when Schwarzer saved the Roma penalty, then apply that in reverse to last night.
It was a pressure kick. Our normal penalty taker was watching the game, suspended. As soon as the ref pointed to the spot, Gera grabbed the ball. His body language stated, quite clearly, that he was not going to give it to anyone else. He was going to take the responsibility, end of discussion.
Of course, Juventus tried to delay things, I can't hold that against them, we would do the same. Gera stayed back, holding the ball, not getting involved. One Juve player even knocked the ball out of his hands. What did young Zoltan do? He calmly picked it up again. No other reaction. No snarling, no posturing, just reclaim the ball quietly.
The referee beckoned him forward, he put the ball down on the spot. The goalie went for a wander, right up to the spot. Zoltan ignored him. The ref told the goalie to get in place. Whistle. Goal.

What a professional performance from someone who less than two years ago was seen as something of a liability. No wonder many papers gave him Man of the Match.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

FFCOutpostCommander

Must agree with you Rupert, the moment passed with little note. Must take a very big pair to step up willingly in a spot like that. No room for doubts and he crushed it like it was a given. Amazes me still to see player after player show why Roy has maintained faith in our lads. So proud to be a small part of it.
Quietly holding down the fort in Northern NJ, USA

HatterDon

Without Dempsey or Murphy on the pitch, I was wondering who would take it. I assumed that the lads had been practicing penalties "just in case," and that Gera had looked the lad most likely, hence he got the assignment.

Took it brilliantly, didn't he?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

finnster01

I may be mistaken but I think he has been the designated penalty taker for Hungary for quite some time
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

AlFayedsChequebook

Gera seems to thrive on pressure and get important goal in big games (such as Man Utd last season). Not only did he score a high pressure penalty, it was a great one tucked right into the corner. Even if Chimenti had dived the right way he would have got no where near it.

I think we are pretty blessed with Penalty takers at Fulham. I would fancy:

Murhpy
Gera
Duff
Davies
Dempsey

to get us through if it went to pens in the Europa league. Add to that the fact we have Schwarzer in goal and we are on to a winner.

Does anyone else think that Hangeland would take a decent penalty?

lamby

Roy is not your 'normal' English Manger. The 'normal' English manager has not planned penalties. This was a cup tie that could have gone to penalties - he will have an order of who is taking penalties and what order for anyone on the field. He will have done work to find who the best penalty takers are (including the keeper) by scientific method.

The normal English way has been for penalty shootouts to start and everyone looking at each other to find out 'who is up for it'

There is a great story about the last world cup - Australia made it for the first time in about 32 years by winning a penalty shootout against Uruguay. Guss Hiddink was our Manager, there was a chance it was going to penalties, so everyone knew who was taking them, and in what order. John Aloisi (Coventry, Osasuna - played EPL, La Liga, Seria A) was the last taker and 'just' needed to kick his for Australia to win (after our man Schwarzer had saved 2 penaltes!) He had played in Spain with the Uruguay keeper. Aloisi said 'I knew where I was kicking the ball, the keeper knew where I was kicking the ball, but also knew he could not stop it. I knew we were going to the World Cup before I placed the ball down.' I was there that night (in Sydney) and it was by best sporting moment until the game on Thursday night!

Everyone on the team would have known that Gera was taking that penalty, which is why he grabbed the ball.