watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our Approach Away From Home

Started by White Noise, March 22, 2010, 07:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Do you think that Roy gets us playing the way we do away because of inherent limitations in the squad or would he always set is up like that regardless of personnel?
Part of me thinks that Roy has just been playing the percentages away from home until he can get the squad he really wants. He has been shipping out players at every opportunity and gives the impression that he will be asking MAF to back him, by Fulham's standards, quite substantially in the transfer market this summer.
Do you think if Roy is able to buy a bit of pace and quality this summer that we might see him take a more confident approach st away games or are we stuck with this for the duration?

WhiteJC

I'm sure our away form is a problem that Roy will address soon (I hope) it will be interesting to see how we play once we get 40 points, I believe that we will be more attacking (as we will Wednesday evening?) as Premiership safety is the number 1 priority

The transfer market should be interesting, Fulham's profile has 'gone through the roof' and that should help with the way that potential 'targets' view us.

A problem could be how much we pay players, if Spuds, Man City etc. can pay someone £60K a week, why would they come to us for £40?

I'm not saying we should pay these obscene amounts of money, its just the way it is

AlFayedsChequebook

I think the upcoming Hull game could be a turning point. Whilst it would be very Fulhamish to donate 3 points to Hull's ailing season, I would fancy us to get a result there, simply because they are so poor/bereft of confidence after the defeat at Pompey.

I could imagine a hatful of chances against that defence, especially if Okaka came on late in the game. Should be interesting.

Lighthouse

We are far too defensive in early parts of games. We do not dictate many games and set our stall out in respose to what the opposition is doing. When we have to put the foot on the peddle we do. But there is no doubt that we would play differently if we played with more than one forward. Nice if we could introduce another forward next year.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

finnster01

What happened to the good old 4-2-4?  :011:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

bobby01

A good pacy goalscorer would turn us from a good side to a very good side. Before yesterday we had the 2nd best defence and 9th best overall. Oh why oh why when we were supposed to be in for Crouch did we not go for Darren Bent, he was in our budget.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

finnster01

Quote from: bobby01 on March 22, 2010, 01:53:55 PM
A good pacy goalscorer would turn us from a good side to a very good side. Before yesterday we had the 2nd best defence and 9th best overall. Oh why oh why when we were supposed to be in for Crouch did we not go for Darren Bent, he was in our budget.
Because:

He's gay, he's Bent,
His arse is up for rent,
Darren Bent, Darren Bent

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

AlFayedsChequebook

HatterDon

return with me now to those glorious days of yesteryear -- last season.

Once Roy was certain that we were staying up, we got more aggressive on the road and went for the three points. We're at the same point now. Unfortunately, our late season away matches this season include Man United, Arsenal, and Liverpool.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

The Equalizer

I think that away form is the next thing on Uncle Roy's list to get 'fixed'.

So far from him we've seen:

*Get the team playing together as a 'team' in his first full season.
*Defending 'from the front' and defending altogether more effectively in all games.
*Making Craven Cottage a 'fortress' that any visiting team will be afraid to visit.
*Bringing the reserves and substitutes into the game more often so as to get them playing as a 'team' with the regulars.
*Making sure that we win as many home games as possible, without losing too many away games by playing defensively.

Next up he will get us playing a more attacking away game. He knows that we're covered in all other areas so in order to start gaining league position this has to be next on his list.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Jimpav

Let's be honest if we played as well away as we did at home then we would be challenging for 4th spot.

Our success has been built on our home form and results and I don't have to many problems with us relying on home wins and nicking the odd point or three away.

It's a bit of a siege mentality but you can't pick and choose the best bits of a "foreign" manager. Roy's tactics are notoriously Italian and I can't see him changing these.

Fortunately though we have a band of players with an excellent team spirit and a "never say die" attitude. This means that when the chips are down and the pressue is on they will give it 110% and get the results when we need them most - hopefully we will see this at Hull next week.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: The Equalizer on March 22, 2010, 03:09:57 PM
I think that away form is the next thing on Uncle Roy's list to get 'fixed'.

So far from him we've seen:

*Get the team playing together as a 'team' in his first full season.
*Defending 'from the front' and defending altogether more effectively in all games.
*Making Craven Cottage a 'fortress' that any visiting team will be afraid to visit.
*Bringing the reserves and substitutes into the game more often so as to get them playing as a 'team' with the regulars.
*Making sure that we win as many home games as possible, without losing too many away games by playing defensively.

Next up he will get us playing a more attacking away game. He knows that we're covered in all other areas so in order to start gaining league position this has to be next on his list.

I now have a great image in my head as Roy Mr.Wolf from Pulp Fiction:

"I'm Winston Wolfe. I solve problems"