watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Smalling - over-rated?

Started by FulhamRob, March 22, 2010, 08:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamRob

Maybe it's just me but I really can't see what all the fuss is about with Chris Smalling and judging from the way his fellow defenders were backing him up on pitch they seem just as nervous about his presence. I presume he has something to offer but at the moment I'm at a loss to understand (though grateful all the same!!!) why Sir Alex is so keen to splash out millions on him.

TonyGilroy

Not just Ferguson but Wenger too. And Hodgson and Stuart Pearce and you have to reckon that these guys know their football.

But in my ignorance I do know what you mean and agree. I've not seen anything to excite me and he's hardly likely to get a quick run in the ManU first team.

My bet is that, like Jonny Evans, Ferguson will loan him out, perhaps to a newly promoted club.

He may be a future England captain but I can't say that I can see it.

Tom

I think so. He does not impress me and I can't believe the money we got for him. We are making out in the deal. Thank you manure!
Fulham for life!

LBNo11

...he obviously needs premiership level match fitness before we can judge these things properly, to me he is an OK player, but I do not understand what red nose and blind wenger see in him to value him so highly.

I wonder if it is like bidding on e-bay; you want something but have not set yourself a budget, all looks like it is going your way and then another bidder comes in and a price war begins, and before you know it you have gone way over your budget just so you win the bid - even if on reflection you didn't really want it that bad to start with!

Anyway, in the meantime, in case red nose has a get-out policy -  shhhhh :033:
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

WhiteJC

could his (over)value have something to do with the new 'home grown' players rule?

EdenRob

What I saw yesterday was a very nervous, unsure Smalling who was happy to get rid of the ball as soon as he got it. Another thing I noticed is that he was always trying to twist round onto his right foot, and when forced into using his left it was very weak. Surely central defenders need to be reasonably proficient with both. Roy seems to have made a shrewd bit of business again by selling him IMO,I just hope we don't have to rely upon him too much for the rest of the season.

SHADY1

I was going to post the same last night ... after watching him on a few ocassions I really don't get what the fuss is all about ....another Zat Knight in the making ... reasonable in most situations but will get caught out enough to make you wonder how he ever got where he is... Every game i watch Zat he's still making positional mistakes and costing goals how he's still at the level he is baffles me and i can say the same so far about Smalling.
Who knows time will tell and all that but a great lose to Fulham..... I think not.
we are Fulham stay realistic or be for ever disappointed ...

KCat

If the guy was playing week in week out you point  may have some merit .........but ask yourself three questions:
1  When was the last time he played  for the 1st team ??
2  How many time, in total, has he played for the 1st team ??
3  How old  is he  ??

He looked real good when he went ''up top'' ,  shows his versilitity,  All told he did fine really against Tevez ( Tevez!!!) and  looked to be getting the measure of him in the 2nd half ...??

Take it for what it is : A very Good piece of business for Fulham
..............oh and I wish the lad becomes the best player United ever had ...........................If he does .....there will be extra bonus payment coming our way  :005:

FulhamRob

Totally hear what you're saying KCat and that's kinda my point. He is doing okay for someone just breaking into the team, and on that basis I would be faintly impressed, but what I can't understand is why he's got a £12m price tag. Surely you'd be expecting to see something a bit more special for that kind of money?

KCat

If you go to and auction you need at least two bidder to get the price going and they don't come bigger that United and the Gooners
........................and Smalling has ''HOME GROWN'' written all over him  ........... :008:

michaelread

personally think its ridiculous to question him and how well he plays.

the lad captains the england under 21s, and has been picked up for 12 mil by some of the best scouts in the world.

lets be fair, he is playing in the center of defence against Manchester City, in the place of our "star" defender,  and we only concede two?

Well done son, I say.

Got to remember, he is young and has a brilliant future, if nurtured the right way. Games like this will only keep him grounded and more motivated, I think its a bit of jealousy to say he is overrated now, I remember all the posts when he played for England before he got sold, and everyone was saying how immense he was.

He is the best 20 year old defensive prospect England has, 12 mil is the price United are paying for his future.

HatterDon

in my humble opinion, if we had NOT sold him to United in January, everyone on this board would be slobbering at the prospect of him being our CB for years to come. He looked as flat during the first half as everyone else did yesterday. He was a step down from Hangeland, which is why Roy sold him and not Brede. Having said all that, comparing him to Zat just seems kinda silly to me.

Barring injury, he'll play for England -- and not just twice on a tour of the USA either.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel