watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Kelly should have been at right back

Started by FulhamRob, March 22, 2010, 08:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamRob

I can't help thinking that Kelly should've played at right back yesterday. Baird has a lot of qualities - and was superb on Thursday - but right back is certainly not his strongest position by any means...

Tom

Why don't they just put Shorey on one side and Konch on the other?
Fulham for life!

TonyGilroy

It was a flat performance yesterday from everyone including Baird and had Kelly played I doubt if he'd have been any different.

The crowd was flat too. None of us can maintain the standards set on Thursday.

I think Baird has become a must pick whether at RB or midfield. People talk about us needing to find a future replacement for Danny Murphy. I think Baird is it but whilst Murphy plays I'm happy to see him at RB.

I'm in the camp that sees the value Etuhu brings to the team but I know many would drop him for Baird. I wouldn't.

FulhamRob

Don't get me wrong I like Baird a lot and want him in the team but just not at right back. Must admit I'm one of those that would swap him for Dickson about whom I just can't make my mind up. One side thinks: he's got some nice touches and is physically strong; the other points out that passes often go astray and, for a big fella, he seems to get knocked off the ball a tad too easily.

AlFayedsChequebook

I agree with FulhamRob. I think Baird is excellent at both Midfield and Centre Back, but his lack of pace is crippling when against fleet footed wingers.

I personally don't think that Baird is the natural successor to Murphy, nor a replacement for Etuhu (Who I thought had a great game against Man City). I think he is now backup for Murphy, Etuhu and Hangeland/Hughes. He is certainly way ahead of Greening now.

I think that Baird is a victim of his own versatility, but a good player and an asset to Fulham FC. He has certainly won me over!

FulhamRob

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on March 22, 2010, 10:02:30 AM
I agree with FulhamRob. I think Baird is excellent at both Midfield and Centre Back, but his lack of pace is crippling when against fleet footed wingers.

I personally don't think that Baird is the natural successor to Murphy, nor a replacement for Etuhu (Who I thought had a great game against Man City). I think he is now backup for Murphy, Etuhu and Hangeland/Hughes. He is certainly way ahead of Greening now.

I think that Baird is a victim of his own versatility, but a good player and an asset to Fulham FC. He has certainly won me over!

Victim of his own versatility  -  agree totally; excellent point. It was the same for Volz. Because he was able to do a job in midfield he ended up losing his favoured position...and eventually his place in the squad. I wrote a bit for the Fulham Review a couple of years back in support of Baird and was delighted to see him salvage his reputation. I just hope it doesn't all go wrong for him again by being played out of position

KCat

Baird was not rhyming yesterday  :007: either in defence  or in attack,

Kelly need to play more,  7/9 games so far this season, is not enought to judge him ( Corky he is nor crap  :dft012:)
He has done a great job for us  in the Europa  ...............that cannot be denied and he has played out of position ...................
he did not play in Turin and look what happened ?????

AlFayedsChequebook

I feel Baird is a good compliment to Murphy against teams that we can easily dominate the middle of the park.

Etuhu is needed for the 'bigger games' in that he is more of a presence.

RE: Kelly, I wrote on my blog about his excellent display against Brazil. I have always rated him but some of his performances have been poor. More playing time is definitely needed, and in recent weeks he has looked like a very solid backup for Paintsil.

HatterDon

Quote from: TonyGilroy on March 22, 2010, 09:05:23 AM
It was a flat performance yesterday from everyone including Baird and had Kelly played I doubt if he'd have been any different.

The crowd was flat too. None of us can maintain the standards set on Thursday.

I think Baird has become a must pick whether at RB or midfield. People talk about us needing to find a future replacement for Danny Murphy. I think Baird is it but whilst Murphy plays I'm happy to see him at RB.

I'm in the camp that sees the value Etuhu brings to the team but I know many would drop him for Baird. I wouldn't.

PLUS ONE

Beckenbauer and Bobby Moore would have been undressed by Tevez and Bellamy yesterday.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

ron

Really can't agree that Etuhu "had a great game" yesterday. For my money he gave the ball away far too easily and was too keen on passing back. He was in no man's land for long periods as if he'd forgotten what he was briefed to do. Perhaps it was being paired with Murph that confused him? 

LRCN

he's a good right back kelly, better than Baird in my opinion, when people were slagging him off I said it was just a bad run of form and he was great against shakhtar and juventus.

ron

Baird at RB tends to drift inside, and allow far too much space down the line. If Pantsil's absence has anything positive about it, it is valuable  in confirming that he is a superb attacking right back that we miss very much. Something that isn't generally believed when he is playing.

TonyGilroy

For me it's not necessary to slag off Pantsil to see the value that Baird brings.

Sunday wasn't him at his best but throughout his recent run at right back he's been defensively sound, very good at covering the central defence and intelligent in his support of (usually) Duff. Some of Baird's passing is wonderfully incisive.

I see him as a successor to Murphy who has been way off last season's standard IMO but if I was picking the team I'd want to find room for Baird.

Pantsil brings energy, athleticism and pace to the team and I'm always happy for him to play but we're achieving our current run of success without him.

Kelly's a capable deputy and that shouldn't be underestimated. We need players like him and Greening in the squad but Baird is proving, to me at least, that he's more than that.

ron

Tony, I did mean that Pantsil is the superb attacking right back. The point is that Baird is a makeshift right back while Pantsil is the real thing.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: ron on March 23, 2010, 12:24:26 PM
Tony, I did mean that Pantsil is the superb attacking right back. The point is that Baird is a makeshift right back while Pantsil is the real thing.

Yeah I know.

I'd prefer Baird to Pantsil but that's not dissing Pantsil and it doesn't mean I'm right.

HatterDon

Quote from: TonyGilroy on March 23, 2010, 01:10:11 PM
Quote from: ron on March 23, 2010, 12:24:26 PM

Yeah I know.

I'd prefer Baird to Pantsil but that's not dissing Pantsil and it doesn't mean I'm right.

Mr. Gilroy. With that statement you've just blown your chance at a political anaylyst gig on any American 24/7 news channel.

Man, I love this site.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

horse1031

stephen kelly is not a good footballer.  Championship caliber footballer that makes TOO many mistakes to get into the team.  He has the touch of a rapist and the only thing he ever does well is the occasional cross.  I don't dislike kelly i just think he is not good enough.  Baird won't make as many mistakes but he is not good enough either.  Kelly  will not be playing next year and it is top priority to get a right back in this summer.  actually, now that i think about it, simon davies could do the job!  put him in and everything is solved for the rest of the season.  Oh, and Pantsil will help when he is back...

bigalffc

A fit pantsil is definitely our best RB. I think kelly is not good enough but useful on the bench. But Baird should be used for what he is - a great utility man he can cover RB, after a fashion, centre back and midfielder. What a great and useful squad player he is.
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

Ag

Can Shorey not play on the right?  That would be my first choice with Konch on the left.