Through The Ranks

Monday 22nd March 2010

Fulham FC News

Through The Ranks:
Name: Christopher Buchtmann
Position: Midfielder
Height: 174cm
Weight: 71.3

The signing of Christopher Buchtmann alongside Nicky Shorey and Stefano Okaka in the January transfer window may have slipped the attention of some Fulham fans.

With England left-back Shorey and Italian U21 striker Okaka brought in on loan to bolster Roy Hodgson's First Team squad, the capture of German youth international Buchtmann was completed with one eye on the future.

Where his fellow arrivals have impressed in the short-term, the versatile midfielder is very much a player for the long-term.

A figure of £100,000 was reportedly what it took to take Buchtmann from Premier League rivals Liverpool, where he had turned heads in the past year-and-a-half.

When news broke of his impending departure, the Reds' online forums were littered with words of frustration; the 17-year-old had been tipped to make a big impact and Liverpool's loss will hopefully prove to be to the Whites' gain.

"My time at Liverpool was a great experience, but it just didn't work out for me there," levels Christopher. "It is a big club, and the bottom line is that I just didn't see myself breaking through into the first team.

"Young players rarely get to train with the first team there, while already I have been part of the senior players' sessions here. That is what you want, because it shows that there is an opportunity.

"It came to the point where I had to make a decision. To be honest, it wasn't such a difficult choice because it became apparent quite quickly that Fulham were a club where I could move forward as a player.

"I felt that I had gone as far as I could, and the move here made a lot of sense. I'm not saying that it will be easy to get in the First Team here, it's just I feel that there is more of a chance – and that is important."

Brought to Merseyside by a certain Malcolm Elias, now our Head of Talent ID and Recruitment who had originally spotted the youngster's ability while playing for German club Borussia Dortmund, Buchtmann was part of the Liverpool U18s side that reached last season's FA Youth Cup Final and a member of the Germany U17 squad that won the 2009 European U17 Championship.

In fact, his assists were crucial to his nation's success, with his free-kick leading to Germany's 37th minute equaliser against Holland in the final. He also set up a goal in the 2-0 Semi-Final defeat of Italy, having singlehandedly tormented England in the group stage with three assists in a 4-0 rout.

"It was an amazing experience," he explains. "The Final was played in front of 25,000 people so that in itself made it a memorable night. The fact that we went on to win, and as host nation, made it all the more special.

"It was an excellent tournament for us, and I think we deserved to lift the trophy because we played well throughout. Beating England in the group stage was also a nice moment.

"Of course, it was an honour to be part of that Championship-winning team and it was a proud moment for us all. I've been playing for the national team from U15 level up, and we have a good group of young players.

"People have high hopes for us, but at the end of the day we have won just one tournament. The hard work is ahead of us now, but hopefully we can show what we're capable of again in the next competition. One day I would love to play for the senior team, but first of all I have to establish myself at club level."

An impressive showing on home soil also saw Buchtmann named among UEFA's top 10 stars of the future – alongside names such as Arsenal's Jack Wilshere.

"That was another proud moment," he says. "It's always nice to hear positive things about your game, and that was a good reward and recognition for me. But, I say again, I have to make sure that I continue that development, because there is plenty of work to do."

The Minden-born youngster has settled into his new surroundings with ease, with coaches impressed with his attitude and commitment since his arrival. In reciprocation, he too has already reserved praise for the set-up here and insists that in the short while he has been at Fulham, he has developed as a player already.

"At Liverpool the Academy, reserves and first team are all separate," he explains. "That's what I was used to. Here, although the teams train separately, there is a sense of togetherness because we're all based in one location. It makes those outside of the First Team feel part of things.

"I've been very impressed so far, particularly with the training sessions. It is clear that the coaches want to see you improve and I'm really enjoying working with Billy McKinlay [Development Squad Manager]. He's strict, but that's a good thing.

"He gets the best out of his players and I believe that he can push me to become a better player and help me move into the First Team at some point.

"I haven't been here long, but already I feel that I have improved. My fitness levels have got higher, and I feel a lot stronger. I've also made progress in terms of understanding tactics and feel a lot more confident.

"Look at Chris Smalling. He has shown what can be achieved from playing in the Development Squad and is a great example of how a young player can develop at this club."

On his DS debut, Buchtmann turned heads with his fluidity on the ball, eye for a pass and marauding runs on the break. A central midfielder through choice, the youngster can also play down the left, where his pin-point deliveries could also make a telling contribution.

A goal and an assist helped the Whites to a 2-0 defeat of Stoke City, prior to a composed display against Birmingham last Tuesday, with those present departing with a sense of excitement.

Having come through the youth ranks of Hannover '96 and Borussia Dortmund, and developing his game further at Liverpool, the German youth international now finds himself in the white of Fulham – a place where he will perhaps make his greatest impression.

"I have been given a fantastic opportunity, and I want to be a success here," hopes Christopher. "I am pleased with the start that I have made and it was good to show my coach and the Manager what I can do. I need to play like that every week.

"Okay, I left one of the biggest clubs in Europe, but that didn't make it the best club for me personally. At Fulham I already feel at home. I look at this Club and I do see an exciting future ahead – one that I very much want to be a part of."

Christopher Buchtmann Up Close
- My nickname is just Chris. I haven't been at the Club too long, so maybe I'll have one next season?

- A strength of mine is my passing. I think I'm quite accurate with the ball. I also like to run at defenders.

- Although my weakness is my heading. I could also do with becoming a little bit stronger considering English football is very physical.

- I wouldn't say I play most like any one player. Of course, there were players I watched closely growing up, but I'm just myself.

- The biggest influence on my career has been my father, Michael. My coaches have played a big part too.

- My favourite Fulham player is Danny Murphy. He plays in the same position as me, is the Club Captain, and also played for Liverpool. I think he is a great player.

- Growing up my idol was Zinedine Zidane. I used to love watching him play.

- Five years from now I'll be hopefully playing week-in-week-out for Fulham and representing my country. I want to become a better player.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/March/throughtheranks.aspx#ixzz0iuIUX6Tb