News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham history buffs, please read (some questions too).

Started by jarv, March 23, 2010, 01:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

Clearing out my attic, I found FFC handbook, 1966-67. (two bob).
That season Brian Nichols played lb, had Jim langley already gone to QPR.?
Bobby Robson's ambition was to win a league championship. That never happened did it?
Bobby Moss, a very lightweight but skillul inside forward...what happened to him?
Other ambitions....Mark Pearson...to be a millionare (pretty stupid) and Graham Leggat, a more modest  "to see Fulham at the other end of the table"
Alan Clark achieved his....England caps and a cup final.

facts: before 1975, Fulham had a record number of semi final appearances (6) but never made it to wembley. Well, the thing was written in 1966 so it had to be before 1975!

record away crowd....71,587 at Everton in 1948. good grief, Everton!
bedford kezzard, 153 goals, never scored in an FA cup game.

never won at Highbury, only once at Chelsea and Tottenham (oh dear, does not bode well). Are those facts still true today?

Finally, appearances in the south east counties league. Bragg 26 with 6 goals. Vic was a mate of mine from Crawley. Buckingham let him go when he was about 20 and he ended up at Crawley Town. Hell of a player, shame he never made it.

ron

I've got one of those somewhere...(though where.....?).......I  believe it includes Vic Buckingham's dossier on the squad at the time...including new acquisitions Hugh Cunningham from Glasgow (Rangers?), Turlough O'Connor and a certain Jimmy Conway from Stella Maris Bohemians. I wonder what happened to the other two?

TonyGilroy

jarv

Jimmy Conway lives in America. Last I knew he is a college coach on the west coast. (Oregon I think).
Cunningham came from Glasgow Celtic.

Buckingham was the guy that let go my mate Vic Bragg. He also let Rodney Marsh go for a song. I recall Bragg telling me that marsh had stand up swearing matches with Buckingham every day in training because he considered Buckingham's training routines a bit dangerous.
I recall an example, apparently Marsh said....I am not doing that, these legs are f***ing valuable...

The rest is history.

HatterDon

Mr. Jarv, et al,

I don't know how up to date this is, but here's what I found about Mr. Conway:

QuoteJimmy Conway is a former Timbers player, captain and coach who made over 60 appearances during the seasons 1978-80

Jimmy played for Irish club Bohemians, earned 20 caps for the Republic of Ireland from 1966-1977, and made over 300 appearances for Fulham FC scoring 66 goals in his career at Craven Cottage. In 1976 he was transferred to Manchester City before joining the NASL Timbers in 1978.

He was made player/captain in 1979 and then coach in 1980. Jimmy retired in 1982 but still plays for local club Pierres in the Portland Over-40 league.

Jimmy also serves as a coach for the United States Soccer Federation National Staff, a position he has held since 1994.

From 1982-8 he was head coach at Pacific University in Forest Grove, OR, and from 1988-1998 he was the head coach for Oregon State University's Men's team.
Jimmy ended his 11 season reign at OSU with a 97-89-13 record and had just three losing seasons with the Beavers. He was Mountain Division Coach of the Year in 1995 and Northwest Colleges Soccer Conference Coach of the Year in 1990.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

ron

Quote from: jarv on March 23, 2010, 04:30:45 PM
Jimmy Conway lives in America. Last I knew he is a college coach on the west coast. (Oregon I think).
Cunningham came from Glasgow Celtic.

Buckingham was the guy that let go my mate Vic Bragg. He also let Rodney Marsh go for a song. I recall Bragg telling me that marsh had stand up swearing matches with Buckingham every day in training because he considered Buckingham's training routines a bit dangerous.
I recall an example, apparently Marsh said....I am not doing that, these legs are f***ing valuable...

The rest is history.

....that fits very well with the story of Bobby Keetch and Buckingham regarding a tap-dancing routine that VB performed in front of our Bobby to demonstrate the benefits of dancing to balance. "Now you do it" said Buckingham. Keetch's response (which was always going to be "Foxtrot Oscar" )...got him an instant transfer to QPR.

Buckingham arrived as a kind of saviour and proceeded to dismantle all that was good about the existing set up as well as the bad.