more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Setanta US RIP

Started by timmyg, January 27, 2010, 03:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmyg

Well, on March 1 anyway.

Depending on how Fox Soccer Plus (which will air Setanta's share) is offered, pubs across the USA just lost a lot of business.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

Logicalman

SETANTA SPORTS USA AGREES TO TERMS WITH FOX SOCCER CHANNEL

27 January 2010

SELECT PROGRAMMING RIGHTS TO BE TRANSFERRED

New York, NY, January 27th, 2010 – Setanta Sports has today announced that it has reached an agreement with Fox Soccer Channel to transfer select programming rights, including many premium soccer and rugby events.  Fox Soccer Channel will acquire these rights effective March 1, 2010.

Setanta Sports also announced that it will cease broadcasting its channel in the United States and the Caribbean on February 28th 2010.

For the remainder of January and throughout February, Setanta will continue to broadcast normally and will feature its usual line up of top games from the Barclays Premier League, FA Cup, UEFA Champions League, Heineken Cup, Magners League and Guinness Premiership.

Commenting on the transaction, Leonard Ryan, Co-Founder of Setanta Sports said "This is a significant milestone in the re-organisation of Setanta Sports, following the acquisition of Setanta's businesses in Ireland, the US, Canada and Australia in July 2009.  Having examined several options for our US business, we concluded that the best course of action for the Group is to exit the US market and to concentrate on other markets where we can be a more substantial player in sports television.  This transaction enables us to achieve that objective and to explore new opportunities in other markets."

Since acquiring the non UK businesses of the Setanta Group in July 2009,  several key goals aimed at re-building Setanta into a strong player in the worldwide sports broadcasting business have been achieved, including;

· Re-financing Setanta Ireland in July 2009, followed by renewal of key rights properties such as the Barclays Premier League, FA Cup and UEFA Champions League.  This business remains profitable and in a strong position in the Irish sports television market

· Continuing growth of Setanta's business in Canada, which is now at an all time high level of subscribers and delivers significant profitability

· Continuing growth in Setanta's business in Australia, which has a strong rights portfolio, extensive distribution and is well placed to continue on its impressive growth trajectory

· The launch of Setanta Bet, which goes live next week, representing Setanta's entry into the online sports gaming market

Setanta's operations in Canada are not affected in any way by this transaction and will continue to operate under the joint ownership of the Setanta Group and Rogers Communications.

Well, that'll save me 15 bucks a month ... and Fox are due to start Sports HD broadcasting next month  ;D  ;D  ;D  :P

mccscratch

Not so sure it will save you $15 as I have heard rumblings that Fox Soccer + will be charging as well...
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

RidgeRider

Thanks for the update. Cancel Setanta. FSC comes with the sports package on DirecTV. Though you are probably correct that they will charge to add Fox Soccer Plus. Hopefully not.

FFCOutpostCommander

Any mention in what you've read about their broad band service to the US? The EPL went off a week or two ago and then returned to normal. The service originates in Ireland acording to the charges on my credit card.
Quietly holding down the fort in Northern NJ, USA

finnster01

Quote from: FFCOutpostCommander on January 27, 2010, 04:54:28 PM
The service originates in Ireland acording to the charges on my credit card.

Irish credit card? I thought you just had to feed the box potatoes
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

clintclintdeuce

Maybe not, as cable users, and im sure many other bars will now be able to get more than one game. I for one am happy for it, and will buying FSC+ no matter the cost.
The Dude abides.

os5889

Well, that was a well run company, the Portsmouth FC of television...

Logicalman

Quote from: FFCOutpostCommander on January 27, 2010, 04:54:28 PM
Any mention in what you've read about their broad band service to the US? The EPL went off a week or two ago and then returned to normal. The service originates in Ireland acording to the charges on my credit card.

The significant passage reads .... " Having examined several options for our US business, we concluded that the best course of action for the Group is to exit the US market and to concentrate on other markets where we can be a more substantial player in sports television.", which doesn't bode well for BB access either, though that might be a separate contract from the Fox one.

Setanta itself is originally (and still is by all accounts) and Irish company.
Earlier last year they lost the contract to broadcast Prem games in the UK, due to financial difficulties (the cheque is in the post type of difficulties), and ESPN brought out that portion for some 10 mill.
They are still #1 in Canada and will remain there and Aussie-land, but the US market is dominated by Fox.

I believe Fox will start charging premium rate for the new service, but it will still only mean me paying for one premium service, rather than the two I would be paying for - so I get the Setanta savings.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: os5889 on January 28, 2010, 09:57:29 AM
Well, that was a well run company, the Portsmouth FC of television...
they do seem to make it up as they go along :o