more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (27/05/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 27, 2012, 07:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Jol confident over Fulham future

MARTIN Jol is confident Fulham can make an even greater impact on the Premier League next season without the draining demands of European football.

But the Whites boss conceded he would still gladly have taken a Fair Play wildcard entry into next year's Europa League, given the choice.

Such is the format of the Europa League that last year Fulham found themselves involved before June was out, and although Jol did his best to treat early matches as glorified friendlies to gain fitness, there is little doubt his players ran out of puff as winter arrived.

Next season – with three Uefa Fair Play berths set to be allocated to other countries – Fulham will not have the glamour of Europe, but will also be without the burden of those extra games.

"If all the players are still there, I believe we can do even better," said Jol, whose side finished ninth. "I think playing in Europe cost us a few points, that is for sure.

"I can imagine Stoke played as many games as us and they struggled a bit and it's not a surprise that we were in the top five over the last 20 games, because we weren't involved in Europe.

"But if you want to be a very good side like Arsenal or Chelsea, you have to play in Europe and you have to play in the league.

"It shouldn't be a problem, but over the last five years, when Fulham weren't in Europe, they were seventh with 52 points, and when they were in the final of the Europa League, they were 12th with the same team, so of course, it will cost you points.

"So it could be a benefit not playing, but even now, if they told us we were first in the Fair Play cup and that we would have to start in June, I would still love to do that. It's so good for the profile of your club, for the players and for the youngsters, playing in Europe."

Jol added: "I was listening to a discussion on the radio about teams being involved in Europe and I think they've got a point [about it draining you], but on the other hand, you always want to be involved in Europe, because that means you're doing well.

"The only thing is, can you play your best team [in Europe]? If you saw Aston Villa and Man City over the last couple of years, there was always a little doubt. Do we have to play our best teams?

"And that is probably not an ideal scenario because, of course, the Premier League is still the most important thing."

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2012/05/25/82029-31037574/?

WhiteJC

Sidwell' s Summer Plan

Whilst most of Fulham's playing staff are enjoying several weeks of well earned rest after another highly successful Premier League campaign, one player who is more than happy to remain at the Training Ground this summer is midfielder Steve Sidwell.

After enduring a difficult past few months interrupted by injury, Sidwell will spend this summer firmly focused on returning for pre-season in peak physical condition.

Sidwell admits he found his spell on the sidelines hugely frustrating but his absence from First Team action is fuelling his unquenchable desire to get back to work as quickly as possible.

"Last season was really hard because I had a good start to the campaign but suffered one of those freak injuries that can just happen," Sidwell told fulhamfc.com. "I'm not really the type of player to get injured so to be for so long was really tough.

"There were plenty of games last season when I played in pain and played well, but also games I played in and didn't do great.

"You have to be brave to yourself and decide whether to pull out or carry on, because people could be watching you and be thinking, 'he's not up to scratch' or 'he's not played well today', but not know what's going on in your body.  That's when you've got to hold your hands up and do justice to yourself and the team.

"I'm really chomping at the bit now and I don't think you'll find a player out there at the moment that is so eager to get back to work and involved. I'm so nearly there now and hopefully that'll be the end of it. I should return fit and raring to go on the first day of pre-season.

"Obviously I'll have some time away with my family this summer and a break here and there but the majority of my time will be spent working hard at the Training Ground and getting myself ready for the new season.

"Sometimes you have to get yourself away from the Training Ground because you're doing the same routine and exercises in the same environment. Sometimes it's nice to get away but when I'm on a break with my family I'll still be going to the gym. It will be change of environment then back to work again."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/May/SidwellsSummerPlan.aspx?#ixzz1w30xAZqY

WhiteJC

Van Persie or not, Dempsey still Arsenal's man

Fulham's star of the season Clint Dempsey is ready to make his move to the big time – at least in terms of Champions League action

Dempsey with his 23 goals in all competitions has been a Fulham soldier for so long now.

Not anymore. Arsene Wenger will be first in line at Craven Cottage should Dempsey's request to Fulham to let him go be agreed upon.

His Craven Cottage contract expires next summer and Dempsey is set to refuse the club's offer of an extension.

He said: "They've offered a contract and I just wanted to focus on my football and finish off the season strongly.

"I've always said I'm grateful for everything Fulham has done for me.
"But the fact remains that I want to play in Champions League. I want to play at the highest level possible.
"I'm always going to want to play in Champions League. It's something I've never done. I'd like to test myself at that level.

Wenger might also be bearing in mind that his own Robin Van Persie might not stay.
A cash out on Van Persie and a buy-in on Dempsey would still leave Arsenal a tidy profit and a proven goal-scorer.

In any case Wenger may be keen to play him behind Robin van Persie and Lukas Podolski in what will be a formidable trio.
Dempsey, 29, signed from New England Revolution in 2007, has already broken Brian McBride's 36-goal record as all-time American top scorer in the Premier League being credited with 50.

http://www.emirates247.com/sports/football/van-persie-or-not-dempsey-still-arsenal-s-man-2012-05-26-1.460222

WhiteJC

QPR renew interest in Fulham forward

Rs boss Hughes makes Johnson one of his early summer targets

QPR have renewed their interest in Fulham striker Andy Johnson.

Johnson is set to leave Craven Cottage this summer after his contract expired at the end of the season, and the Rs have already made enquiries over the former Everton and Crystal Palace forward.

Hoops boss Mark Hughes managed Johnson at Fulham during the 2010-11 season, and wants to persuade the 31-year-old to follow in the footsteps of Bobby Zamora, who left the club for QPR during January.

Johnson scored 11 goals in all competitions for the Cottagers last season, three of which came against Rangers in October.

Johnson cost Fulham more than £10 million when he signed from Everton in August 2008. QPR, under previous boss Neil Warnock, had a bid rejected for the forward last January.

http://www.london24.com/sport/qpr/qpr_renew_interest_in_fulham_forward_1_1389845?

WhiteJC

It Gets Worse!

Yesterday we covered how the third choice England keeper, John Ruddy, had been forced to withdraw from the England squad due to injury.

Yesterday we were a little perplexed as to how David Stockdale had been over looked; well today we`re absolutely gob-smacked.

You see, yesterday, we didn`t realise that Jack Butland had yet to make his first team debut for Birmingham City and that his last appearance was for Accrington Stanley back on April 14th.

Have a word with yourself Roy!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=283218#ixzz1w31y2DAA

WhiteJC

Dempsey Leaving!

The inference in the tabloid press this morning is that Clint Dempsey could very well be leaving Craven Cottage.

Dempsey, now twenty-nine, hit 23 goals last season but it appears that the American is looking to play Champions League football with a quote supporting that idea appearing,

"I`m grateful for everything Fulham have done for me - but I want to play in the Champions League."

"I`d like to do as much as I can in my career and say I made the most of all the opportunities I`ve had."

Cue a move to Arsenal then!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=283219#ixzz1w329txuJ

WhiteJC

Klinsmann backs Dempsey switch
USA coach has spoken to midfielder about future

Clint Dempsey: USA coach Jurgen Klinsmann has urged him to make the move to a Champions League club

USA boss Jurgen Klinsmann has encouraged Clint Dempsey to clinch a move to a UEFA Champions League club.

Fulham's attacking midfielder has been a star performer at Craven Cottage this term, netting 17 goals in 37 league appearances for Martin Jol's side.

Over the years the 29-year-old has attracted a lot of attention including reported interest from Liverpool, Arsenal and Paris St Germain and the American has also made it clear that he would relish the chance to play for a bigger club and experience Europe's top-flight competition.

His national boss Klinsmann is also hopeful the former New England Revolution star will get the move he is after and expects it to happen soon.

"If you play consistently at the highest level then offers will come in. I think everybody is aware of that. His goal is the right goal, we have often discussed it," said Klinsmann, who is preparing his side to face Scotland.

"If he has the opportunity to go to a Champions League team, that's the crème de la crème of club soccer then you have to do that, with all the respect obviously to Fulham, as he often mentions.

Biggest club

"But you want to play in the biggest club competition in the world and that's the European Champions League and hopefully something will happen over the next couple of weeks.

"If it doesn't happen then he has to keep pounding away and knocking at the door."

Former Inter Milan and Spurs striker Klinsmann said Dempsey'sclub situation had been a topic of discussion over the past season.

"We haven't talked about it yet (this week) - but before on the phone, following up his Premier League games we discussed different ways of approaching things," said the German.

Dempsey will miss the Scotland clash with a groin injury but Klinsmann is hopeful of having his midfield talisman ready for Wednesday's friendly against Brazil in the run-up to June's World Cup qualifiers.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7779440/?

WhiteJC

Rhodes Bid Rejected

According to one tabloid source it looks as if our quest to bring Huddersfield`s hit-man, Jordan Rhodes, to Craven Cottage, has hit a stumbling block.

It appears that Fulham made a £3.5 million bid for the 40 goals this season striker, a bid that was met with the following rebuff,

"You get £3.5 million offers for people who have scored 10 goals in a season, not 40."

Hmm! Not much we can say to that is there!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=283221#ixzz1w32wBksg

WhiteJC

How Much?

An earlier article inferred that we`d had a £3.5 million bid turned down for the Huddersfield striker, Jordan Rhodes.

Well, according to some sources, £3.5 million won`t even buy half f him with a source from within the Huddersfield camp indicating that nothing less than £8 million will be sufficient to snap him up.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=283225#ixzz1w33DZGgv

WhiteJC

Long ensures the perfect send off

Republic of Ireland midfielder Damien Duff is upended by Bosnian
goalkeeper Asmir Begovic during the friendly international at the
Aviva Stadium.
Photograph: Donall Farmer/Inpho

Republic of Ireland 1 Bosnia-Herzegovina 0: Shane Long stepped off the bench to remind Giovanni Trapattoni of his finishing skills as the West Brom striker sealed a winning send-off for the Republic of Ireland at the Aviva Stadium.

Long was introduced just after the hour mark alongside Jon Walters as Trapattoni changed his forwards, struck a firm header past Stoke City goalkeeper Asmir Begovic from a superb Aiden McGeady cross.

McGeady had earlier hit the bar with a shot in an impressive performance after replacing Damien Duff at half-time, while Walters also hit the woodwork from a free header in the box. McGeady's impressive showing over the 45 minutes earned him the man of the match.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2012/0526/1224316767329.html?

WhiteJC

The Cottagers Confidential Awards

There'll be no "I'ma let you finish, but", or any of Ricky Gervais' hard-hitting antics, but the Cottagers Confidential awards will be glamorous nonetheless. You've been voting - literally a few of you - over the past week to crown some of the stars, and some of the star moments, of Fulham's 2011/12 season. And here are your results:

Player of the season, with a substantial 95% of the vote, goes to the seemingly unstoppable Clint Dempsey. With, by quite some distance, his best season in football yet, Dempsey has taken the Premier League by storm and has increased his already vast worth by claiming 23 goals in all competitions this year. Martin Jol took no shame, on many occasions, admitting that Fulham have relied on the American to provide the goals at Craven Cottage and, admittedly, without the 29 year-old, this campaign could have turned out entirely different. His goal tally is remarkable, especially considering the fact he has simultaneously been rotated between a forward role and a place on the wing. He has been hugely effective in both positions and that adaptability is something that sets him apart from the rest too. A brilliant player, by all accounts, but one we probably won't keep ahold of.

Kerim Frei, with 90% of the vote, was the Cottagers Confidential Young Player of the Year. He's had a hugely impressive campaign which started particularly early, with Fulham's participation in the Europa League. Despite being at the tender age of merely 18, Frei has shown himself to be a sturdy competitor on the football field and, most potently, he has attracted attention for his dazzling array of skills on the ball and his astute footwork. He's terrorised many a defence this season and the feeling is that he'll be doing it on plenty of occasions in the future too.

Match of the season was narrowly won by Fulham's 6-0 victory over Queens Park Rangers, after the tie brought 47% of the vote. It was an undoubtedly emphatic game, not least because it highlighted our substantial superiority over our local rivals. Aside from derby day deliriousness, it also provided our firs win of the season and finally instilled some belief into the fans as to Martin Jol's potential to succeed at Fulham. This tie will go down in the history books in SW6 and it's clear to see why.

Another landslide victory came in the Goal of the season award, with Bryan Ruiz's chip at home to Everton collecting 80% of the vote. His goal was perfect. As he collected the ball on the edge of the Everton area, he succeeded in defying logic and scooping the ball, magically, over Tim Howard. Flying through the air, albeit slowly, you just knew this was crafted through sheer brilliance and the intention was undeniably there. It was a sign of what this Costa Rican can really do when his mind is on it.

The last, and closest award, was won by John Arne Riise in the Signing of the season category. It was closely fought, though, between the Norwegian and striker, Pavel Pogrebnyak. Riise, though, has been in London for longer and his experience at left back was evidential. At times, the fans were frustrated with the former Liverpool man but his composure seemed to grow throughout the season and he has turned out to be one of the most reliable members of Jol's side. The goal he has so richly deserved hasn't come, but given another season, you'd expect at least one of his deadly pile-drivers to find the net.

And that brings our ceremony to an end. Thank you all for voting!

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/5/26/3043397/the-cottagers-confidential-awards?

WhiteJC

Roy's reign off to a steady start
by DAN on MAY 27, 2012

England managers usually have honeymoon periods. Sven-Goran Eriksson certainly had a Blair-esque love affair with the country after he replaced Kevin Keegan in 2001 and Fabio Capello cantered through qualifying with deceptive ease. Things are a bit different now. The Italian's departure – and the dearth of options left to his successor even on the brink of a major tournament – might have checked our ambition ahead of the trip to Ukraine and Poland in a few weeks time, but their has still been plenty of criticism of Roy Hodgson.

To those who might not have studied Hodgson's career, the new man's methods might take a little bit of getting used to. But the cutaways to the touchline of Roy side stroking his chin alongside trusted lieutenant Ray Lewington immediately put a smile on the face of those of us who were treated to three fairly extraordinary years at Fulham. Not that there was anything out of the ordinary from England in Oslo this evening. They were professional, workmanlike and disciplined – even if newly-installed captain Steven Gerrard did stray the wrong side of the line with an ill-timed lunge that ended Tom Hogli's evening.

There was a sense of early adventure that might have surprised those hacks who think they've got Hodgson worked out already. England's swift break for the game's early goal also vindicated a few of the manager's selections. The much-maligned Andy Carroll, unfairly stereotyped as the battering ram centre forward to whom English sides pathetically punted the ball to in times of strife, slipped an intelligent pass through for the rampant Ashley Young, who skipped away from Brede Hangeland, and then steered a shot into the far corner. Young made something fairly difficult look so simple and he was elusive and energetic providing the kind of movement needed to trouble a usually sure-footed Norwegian defence.

In case anybody is in any doubt as to the calibre of England's hosts, who have been their nemesis a few too many times in recent years, Norway have defeated France, Portugal and the Czech Republic recently and this was their first defeat in the Ullevaal Stadion for two years. Egil Olsen's charges certainly improved after the break with John Arne Riise regularly galloping down the left flank in the kind of fashion that we saw at Craven Cottage towards the close of the domestic season. But for one terrific reaction stop by Rob Green, who also had tipped Markus Henriksen's effort around the post in the first period, there might have been an unhappy sting in the tail.

But England stood firm with the familiar comfort shape adopted by most of Hodgson's sides making it almost impossible to penetrate a well-drilled defence. Parker and Barry formed the shield in front of what must be England's second choice back four, although you couldn't fault any of them. Leighton Baines got forward regularly from left back, whilst Phil Jones was quietly efficient on the other flank. Out wide, Stewart Downing and James Milner might not set too many pulses racing but their defensive coverage meant Norway had little joy of their won down the flanks. The hosts' frustration was summed up as we entered injury time when Mohammed Abdellaoui shot impetuously wide from all of 30 yards.

England were steady rather than spectacular, but Hodgson showed commendable imagination with his substitutions, sending on Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain for his senior debut and offering Jordan Henderson a chance to deputise for Gareth Barry. This was England's first victory over Norway in more than two decades and Hodgson became the first England coach to win there since Sir Alf Ramsay in 1966. Not a bad beginning, by any means.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/05/roys-reign-off-to-a-steady-start/?

WhiteJC

Fulham fishing in Setubal

Dinei Christ and Philip, two of the greatest pearls of grassroots football in Vitoria Setubal have been for a week at the Academy of Fulham and provided evidence. The English club is interested in hiring these two sub-17 players in Victoria.

Two talents from the formation of Vitoria Setubal and have been for a week, to give evidence at the Academy of Fulham. Several months ago that the English club followed the evolution of the two players in the under-17 team from Vitoria Setubal and after the close of the season made ​​the decision to invite Christ and Dinei for a "tryout" for a week.

During the days they were to train at Fulham, the two young talents sharpened further the interest of the English club, as the potential that the coaches of the team recognized the under-19 players must take a move to Fulham the acquisition of the stars setubalenses. During practice, much as Christ Dinei impressed by their technical quality, which was evident even training with the best under-19 team in English football. Indeed, Fulham was champion of England at this level and it was with this team that the two sub-17 Vitoria Setubal were to show their worth.

The next step will be to integrate the two players on the stage of pre-season that the English club will be held in Portugal, for the Fulham make the final decision. There is already agreement between the clubs so that both can integrate this stage and a preliminary agreement for the transfer to take place, if that is the final decision of Fulham

http://futebolmargemsul.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/fulham-pesca-em-setubal.html

Lighthouse

Fulham are to increase their bid for Huddersfield striker Jordan Rhodes to £5m, according to The People.

It was claimed last week that Fulham had an offer of £3.5m for the Terriers star rejected.

The People also say that QPR are close to signing Fulham's out-of-contract forward Andy Johnson and that the Whites have clinched the signings of highly-rated Portuguese teenagers Filipie Cristo and Dinei from Setubal.

Meanwhile,  a number of newspapers report comments made by USA boss Jurgen Klinsmann, who suggests American star Clint Dempsey should leave Craven Cottage.

Klinsmann is quoted as saying: "If you play consistently at the highest level then offers will come in. I think everybody is aware of that. His goal is the right goal, – we have often discussed it.

"If he has the opportunity to go to a Champions League team, that's the crème de la crème of club soccer then you have to do that, with all the respect obviously to Fulham, as he often mentions.

"But you want to play in the biggest club competition in the world and that's the European Champions League and hopefully something will happen over the next couple of weeks.

"If it doesn't happen then he has to keep pounding away and knocking at the door."

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope