News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham's Greatest Players ( Historical Question)

Started by Mr Fulham, May 30, 2012, 12:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Fulham

Hey guys, as some of you may already know, I've got a little blog. And I want to include some biographical notes on some of Fulham's star performers over the years.

I've included Dennis Turner's wonderful list and have added some other players, who played some rule during the last successful seasons. What I'd like to know is what you think about this list.

Here's the current one:
ARNOLD, John
BACUZZI, Joe
BAIRD, Chris
BARNETT, Gary
BARRETT, Bert
BARRETT, Les
BEASLEY, Pat
BEECHAM, Ernie
BENTLEY, Roy
BLACK, Ian
BLAKE, Mark
BOA MORTE, Luis
BRAZIL, Gary
BREVETT, Rufus
BROWN, Roger
BROWN, Stan
BUSBY, Viv
CALLAGHAN, Fred
CHAMBERLAIN, Tosh
CHAPLIN, Alec
CHARLTON, Ted
CLARK, Lee
CLARKE, Allan
COHEN, George
COLEMAN, Chris
COLLINS, Arthur 'Pat'
CONEY, Dean
CONWAY, Jimmy
COOK, Maurice
DAVIES, Gordon
DAVIES, Simon
DAVIS, Sean
DEMPSEY, Clint
DEMPSEY, John
DUFF, Damien (???)
EARLE, Steve
ECKHARDT, Jeff
FINCH, Jack
FINNAN, Steve
FREEMAN, Harry
FRYER, Jack
GALE, Tony
GERA, Zoltan (???)
GIBBONS, Syd
GOLDIE, Billy
HAMMOND, Jim
HANGELAND, Brede
HAYLES, Barry
HAYNES, Johnny
HERRERA, Robbie
HILL, Jimmy
HOPKINS, Jeff
HOUGHTON, Ray
HUGHES, Aaron
JEZZARD, Bedford
KEEPING, Mike
KEY, Johnny
KONCHESKY, Paul (???)
LACY, John
LANGLEY, Jim
LAWLER, Robin
LEGGAT, Graham
LEWINGTON, Ray
LLOYD, Barry
LOCK, Kevin
LOWE, Eddie
MACEDO, Tony
MALBRANQUE, Steed
MARSHALL, John
MELLOR, Peter
MITCHELL, John
MITTEN, Charlie
MONEY, Richard
MOORE, Bobby
MORGAN, Simon
MULLERY, Alan
MURPHY, Danny
O'CONNELL, Brian 'Pat'
OLIVER, Len
PARKER, Paul
PENN, Frank
PESCHISOLIDO, Paul (???)
PEYTON, Gerry
PIKE, Martin
PRICE, Johnny
QUESTED, Len
REYNOLDS, Arthur
ROBSON, Sir Bobby
ROOKE, Ronnie
ROSS, Harry
SAHA, Louis
SCHWARZER, Mark
SCOTT, Peter
SHARP, Jimmy
SLOUGH, Alan
STANNARD, Jim
STEVENS, Arthur
STRONG, Les
SYMONS, Kit
TAYLOR, Jim
TAYLOR, Maik
THOMAS, Glen
THOMAS, Bob
TOMPKINS, Jim
TOOTILL, Alf
TORRANCE, Jimmy
VAN DER SAR, Edwin
WALKER, Willie
WHITE, Walter 'Wattie'
WILSON, Robert
ZAMORA, Bobby (???)

Would you exclude some of them or include others?

Help appreciated, especially from the likes of Mr Peabody, Mr CorkedHat, Bog and the other more 'experienced' members of this board.

THANKS A LOT!

cmg

Always difficult, this sort of thing. In the long run it comes down to personal opinion.

At first glance I would say that 'my' early years are pretty well represented. But, when considering more recent times, I would have thought that John Collins, although he played only about 60 times, was a pretty important player for us at a vital time. In my view Alain Goma has as good claims as many of the centre-backs listed. And I am sure that the omission of a certain German right-back will be considered as little short of heresy in some quarters.

CorkedHat

If we take the period 1950- 1975 my preference would be as follows;
Haynes, Leggat, Cohen, Mullery, Rooke, Macedo, Jezzard, Langley, Barrett, Bacuzzi, Quested, Jim Taylor, Bentley, Stevens, Conway, Robson, Mitten, Eddie Lowe, Lawler, Stan Brown, Callaghan
I know I shall be in the minority here because at the time the Fulham crowd used to give him some stick, but I used to love Johnny Key. He was one of the fastest wingers going around and one or two of his goals were sensational.
Of those who did not receiver an international cap, Arthur Stevens was probably the most unfortunate. He played at a time when the media in particular loved Stanley Matthews and whilst old Stan could get out of bed each morning, there would be no cap for Arthur.
Roy Bentley, an England international, came to us from Chelsea as a striker who was said to be way past his best. We converted him into a centre half and as a result there were many who thought he should be capped again even though by this time he was into his thirties.
As characters go, I suppose we should include Tosh Chamberlain, but Tosh was the most unpredictable and erratic footballer I can remember. Some of his shots would take the leather off the ball but alas many of them ended up in Bishops Park. He used to frustrate the hell out of Haynes even though they were close mates.
I must say that I wouldn't have missed these years of following Fulham for the world. They were fabulous.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Jack Fulham

Can't comment on most the players on that list but Paul Konchesky? Not sure about that one.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Jack Fulham on May 30, 2012, 01:41:24 PM
Can't comment on most the players on that list but Paul Konchesky? Not sure about that one.
Yeah, that's why I put some question marks behind it. I think I won't include him, tbh. Just an idea, played more than 100 matches for Fulham and was part of the Europa League team while putting in some nice performances.

Thanks for the report, Mr CorkedHat. Would've loved to see the team of the 60s in action, especially the Maestro.

b+w geezer

Rich Allen did something relevant for The Times a few years ago. Can't immediately spot it on his own site, but it seems to be reproduced with various people's comments at:-

http://cc.fulhamfc.com/forum/topics/the-50-greatest-fulham-players?xg_source=activity

bill taylors apprentice

Why not Sylvain Legwinski? He must of played over 100 games for Fulham and great team player.

LBNo11

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

FC Silver Fox

Hey Corked Hat.... you forgot Reg Stratton in your list.  :doh:
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: nickmuir on May 30, 2012, 06:06:29 PM
take ZAMORA, Bobby  off
no, one of the main heros in which was/is arguably Fulham's best ever era.

cebu

Quote from: Mr Fulham on May 30, 2012, 06:25:41 PM
take ZAMORA, Bobby  off

Totally agree.

valdeingruo

Quote from: Mr Fulham on May 30, 2012, 06:25:41 PM
take ZAMORA, Bobby  off

Agree, doesn't matter what he's done now or where he's at he was good for the club and his goals were vital to our European run.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

MJG

How about Nick Cusack? Key in our promotion season which kicked this all off.

CorkedHat

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on May 30, 2012, 06:00:16 PM
Hey Corked Hat.... you forgot Reg Stratton in your list.  :doh:

You are quite right M. Fox – what was I thinking? :005:
One name who isn't there but should be is Bobby Keetch.
Now Bobby had about as much finesse as a turd in a teacup but in an era where ball players such as McIlroy, Eastham, Giles, Brady, Quixall, Burnside, Jeffrey, Atyeo et al reigned supreme, a team needed a player with a bit of grunt. Instead of standing there admiring their silky skills, Bobby with his flowing golden locks would be up at 'em like an exocet missile.
He was not, however, a dirty player (Michael Brown is a dirty player) but Bobby was robust and hard. Admittedly one or two tackles were ill-timed and we had to fish the recipient out of the Thames, but everyone makes the odd mistake.
Mind you he was a nightmare at away games. He could certainly rev up the local yokels and if they couldn't get to him to murder him, anyone wearing black and white would suffice.
Bobby a collector of antiques was a character in every sense of the word but tragically died at a ridiculously young age.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

BarryP

As caught by someone else, Zamora and Konchesky but no Brian McBride?
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Snibbo

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Me-ate-Live, innit??

How very sad indeed no Alain Goma, the light on my landing  ............

Mr Hat good call ....................Bobby Keetch  yay -hay !!! deserves to be in there as the best looking Fulham player ever

Shouldn't Super Mac be in there ???.....................I know he only played a few games for us
Fulham v Blackburn Rovers 1968
but he came back as a manager .............................and what a manager he was
Newcastle United v Fulham (February 1983)
and he  did signed this guy
Ray Houghton Top Ten Fulham Goals.avi