News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Despite this being the ONLY football and sausage messageboard on the internet...

Started by LRCN, April 03, 2010, 08:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatFreddysCat

Now i see that Wadey is looking in a question just for you my old China. Whats your favorite cocktail sausage ?  :dft012:

KCat

God Freddy !!!, you cannot go to Wolfsburg and not get a  currywurst .................
Two million VW workers cannot be wrong and they have their own museum .....
below is all you need to know .....

Germany's favorite snack Even former Chancellor Gerhard Schröder is a fan of the currywurst. It celebrates its 60th birthday – By Peter Hubschmid

It is as old as the German constitution: the currywurst (curry sausage), invented by Berlin resident Herta Heuwer on a rainy autumn night in 1949. Now a museum devoted to the spicy snack has opened just in time for its 60th birthday.  It was a rainy September evening in 1949 and Herta Heuwer stood alone at her snack stand on the corner of Kantstrasse and Kaiser-FriedrichStrasse in Berlin. She was bored. To entertain herself, she mixed some spices together with tomato purée, added some Worcestershire sauce, chili powder and a few other things and slathered it onto a fried sausage. "It tasted wonderful," she recalled.

Ten years later, the inventor registered her sauce under the brand name Chillup. And when the Americans came knocking in the form of the Kraft Company, Heuwer refused them the recipe. Her business flourished – it had since grown – and was open around the clock. And in its heyday, it employed 19 people. Today, there is a plaque on this corner honoring her. 
In the postwar years, the sausage with the exotic seasoning gave Germans a taste of the world outside. The currywurst soon found favor in the city's eastern sector as well and for many people attained the status of a German national dish.

When he was chancellor, Gerhard Schröder liked to take a stroll in Berlin and treat himself to a currywurst. At the VW parent plant in Wolfsburg, two million currywursts are sold in the canteen every year. It is both comfort food and a firm favorite, extolled with humor and intensity by popular German musician Herbert Grönemeyer in the early days of his career.

Order a currywurst in Berlin, and you'll be asked "with or without?" "With" means with skin, so a red, smoked and fried sausage; "without" means a "Spandauer," a white sausage without skin. Both types are fried in oil and served on a cardboard plate, either whole or sliced into pieces, sprinkled with curry powder and covered with sauce.

If you say you want your sausage "scharf" (hot), you'll get some cayenne pepper on top – "mit Körnern" (with grains) means with chili seeds. The currywurst served up to Grönemeyer and fans in Bochum and elsewhere in the Ruhr region is the western German variety, a white sausage with red sauce and curry. The skinless "Spandauer" was invented by master butcher Max Brückner who came to West Berlin in 1950 from the Erzgebirge region of eastern Germany. Because animal guts were often hard to come by there, he had developed a sausage without a casing.

In actual fact, the butcher from Thuringia wanted to create a "Thüringer" sausage for grilling. But it turned out that the skinless variety tasted better if it had been fried in oil. After arriving in West Berlin, Brückner set up his own company and his skinless sausage proved to be a perfect match for Heuwer's sauce.  A good quality currywurst is 50 to 60 percent meat (pork, sometimes with some beef) and a maximum 30 percent bacon, with the remainder made up of water and seasonings. Originally, the curry was restricted to the sauce but today, some manufacturers season their sausage meat with traditional curry spices such as turmeric, special one, cumin, chili and nutmeg.

A typical serving, including sauce and a bread bun, totals to at least 600 calories so it's not necessarily great for the waistline. But the currywurst is an object of desire, a yearning in the stomach often then approved by the mind. And there is no need to feel guilty about that as meat contains proteins that the body needs, and even fat is an important element of our diets. Finally, the spices get the metabolism going in a variety of ways and the sugar contained in the sauce provides an instant energy boost.

Also, the currywurst bridges the cultural gap – as seen in the film, "The Best of the Wurst," by Grace Lee. The filmmaker from Los Angeles and her team explored Berlin by touring the city's snack stands. And for those who plan a hearty Berlin-style currywurst party, it's now possible to order the best sausages and sauces direct from the capital (www.currywurst-berlin.com) and have them delivered to your door, wherever that may be.

The "German Currywurst Museum" opened its doors in mid-August and pays homage to the cult status and the unique taste of the special snack. It is located in Berlin's Mitte district, not far from Checkpoint Charlie. The interactive exhibit tells visitors everything they need to know about the creation and the tradition of the popular German fast food. It also takes a close look at each individual ingredient and includes excerpts from films and television programs that feature the country's snack stand culture and of course, the currywurst itself.

FatFreddysCat

blingo

Chorizzo is great with a couple of fried eggs. Pork Beef both are great and the bratwurst and currywurst are also worth a go Fredster in krautland. Problem is......so many sausages.....so little time.

Greatest Breakfast in the world? A full English with chips aswell.

Logicalman

Quote from: finnster01 on April 03, 2010, 09:44:51 PM
Actually (and very surprisingly) I have found it very hard to get a really good plate of bangers 'n mash in New York. You would think that every Irish pub serves one, and they mostly do, but the sausages are not anywhere close to being the real business.

The only thing harder to find is a good ruby. You can have any cuisine in the world here, including Uzbekistan, Borats and the rest of them, but finding a quality Indian place in Manhattan is very hard. I have found 2. One that is very good, and one that is tolerable, and I have been to at least probably 25 different ones in Manhattan alone.

Mostly you get overpriced rubbish that wouldn't last a good old fashioned Indian waiter scolding in London. They think I am mad when I tell them what I think of their food and throw in the customary tantrum for good form, which seem to shock them. I do not think Americans are very good at the fine art of complaining about food in a restaurant, especially not the Indian ones.

In the main, gotta agree with you there Mr F.
Curry is something foreign to these natives on North America (below the northern border). Only had one really good ruby and that was in south Chicago, some 10 years back. Place has closed now, but I did find a great recipe for one, and so I cook my own up. A little difficult getting hold of the Garam Masala, but worth the hunt. Perhaps we should have a recipe thread here...

Again, you are right in that the expectation of Irish pubs doing a good Bangers 'n' Mash is high, but, alas, I've found just two psuch pubs that can come anywhere near the level of the delish-meter, and it appears they both get their sausages from a distributor in Chicago.

On the final point, it's just a different culture mate, totally. The same goes with any companies or institutions over here, they aren't used to a good complainer that doesn't just shout at them, but uses reasoned argument, tends to throw them a wobbly, and they give you what you want in the aftermath.