watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Off Topic Threads

Started by Lighthouse, April 04, 2010, 01:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

From the strange Northern Snows come the plaintiff cry of the Evertonian. As licker and some others have mentioned before, should we have a separate section for Off Football threads. I know we have discussed this before and the powers that be have come to a decision but is it worth re considering?

It really effects the close season more than now. But I noticed that in the overseas club that FOF have are more than happy to talk Hockey and Baseball etc. So a non Football part of FOF would include Eggs and Tennis and anything else.

My feeling is that this MB is called FOF and so anything the fans and friends want to talk about is kosher. Still is it worth another look?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Lighthouse

Talking of off topic threads. Anybody else fear a problem in the World Cup. Especially following this news -

South African President Jacob Zuma has appealed for calm after the killing of the white supremacist leader, Eugene Terreblanche.

Mr Zuma said South Africans must not allow anyone to take advantage of the "terrible deed" by inciting racial hatred.

Police said Mr Terreblanche had been beaten to death in a dispute with two farm workers over unpaid wages.

Mr Terreblanche's far-right movement urged its members to be calm.

The 69-year-old was attacked on Saturday evening at home on his farm near the town of Ventersdorp, North West province.

'Must be condemned'

Two males, aged 21 and 15, have been arrested and charged with his murder, said police.

We will decide upon the action we are going to take to avenge Mr Terreblanche's death

Andre Visagie
Afrikaner Resistance Movement

Obituary: Eugene Terreblanche
Terreblanche: Your comments
Life in pictures 
His body was found with facial and head injuries on a bed, after he was apparently attacked with a machete and a wooden club.

Mr Terreblanche came to prominence in the early 1980s, campaigning for a separate white homeland and championing a tiny minority determined to preserve apartheid.

Mr Zuma's office said in a statement: "The president appeals for calm... and asks South Africans not to allow agent provocateurs to take advantage of this situation by inciting or fuelling racial hatred.

"The murder of Terreblanche must be condemned, irrespective of how his killers think they may have been justified. They had no right to take his life."

The BBC's Karen Allen in Johannesburg says the murder comes amid growing anxiety about crime in South Africa.

Opposition politicians linked the death to racially inflammatory sentiments from a minority of the ruling ANC party.

FC Silver Fox

Sepp Blatter (aka Coco the clown) has said that FIFA have a contingency plan should it not be possible for the World Cup to be held in 'Sarf Ifrica'. The countries suggested include England, Spain, Mexico, United States and Japan.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

HatterDon

I think there should be a separate category here for TYPING WHILE INTOXICATED.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: HatterDon on April 04, 2010, 02:34:02 PM
I think there should be a separate category here for TYPING WHILE INTOXICATED.
That'll be 99.9 % of my posts then  :dft001: .

ron

I see no problem with off-topic threads. The clue is generally in the title, so it's the simplest thing in the world to avoid what you don't want to read. Keeping to a narrow subject takes away the chance to learn new and interesting things, and maybe even have a laugh or two.

ImperialWhite

A simple NFR will do, I reckon.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

If you don't want a seperate non football area why don't we have a disclaimer at the top of the board so "people" won't get stroppy :49:

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: ron on April 04, 2010, 02:38:01 PM
I see no problem with off-topic threads. The clue is generally in the title, so it's the simplest thing in the world to avoid what you don't want to read. Keeping to a narrow subject takes away the chance to learn new and interesting things, and maybe even have a laugh or two.
Ron sums it up perfectly, if you see a thread about sausages/ eggs or dogs etc and you aren't interested then dont look, i personally like both Fulham and completely NFR topics ,but if i saw something with theatre for instance i wouldn't look,actually i probably would just to see if there was any craick going on.

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

I don't care BUT I feel that the voice of the vast majority of people on here who don't care should be heard...

I hope this helps give some balance to an argument dominated in the main, by people who actually care...

licker

Its just that when you put all the topics on one page they disappear quite rapidly without ever having an in depth discussion.   
This one was only started 3 days ago, discussed for a few hours and quickly went off the Radar, when i found this it had already slipped down to page four.

As i said before, on a football forum people expect to read about and discuss football, not rabbit on about sausage and eggs, or the contents of the weekly shopping from tescos.

I'm all for an "off topic" page for all those other non footy things.

Bill.  :dft009:

finnster01

Rabbit is quite tasty actually.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: finnster01 on April 07, 2010, 09:26:06 AM
Rabbit is quite tasty actually.
I cant remember having it Finnster, i must keep an eye out for it.

blingo

Personally I think it should be what Fulham fans WANT it to be simple as that. I enjoy both FR and NFR topics and see no reason why they should not be together. I would not go onto another clubs site and suggest something like this. Light head you are getting carried away with yourself again, I would hardly call your small spanish coin comments totally football related.  :032:

CorkedHat

I see absolutely nothing wrong in raising topics other than Fulham FC.
It allows us an insight into the lives and character of our fellow posters – some of whom are witty, intelligent and interesting.
There is only so much you can say about Fulham – as it is many Fulham related topics are regurgitated monotonously and just wait until the summer when the only Fulham topics will be, who will we buy and who we will we let go before the August kick-off.
No wonder the dreaded Mornington Crescent makes an appearance.
But come on guys – loosen up. Petty bureaucrats are the enemy of thinkers – don't let them interfere with our MB.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Lighthouse

The point about brilliant threads being lost and not read because they just dribble down the pages is a valid onr. I always feel not enough people read my posts. I wonder if we should have a section just for ME. Thats enough about ME what did YOU think of MY posts.

Licker - You know you comments are always welcome and I know you will ignore blingo. We have to put up with him as he is the happy babbling Uncle in the corner that wets himself alot and laughs because he thinks it is funny. I on the other hand am the old fogey in the corner who moans and grumbles that he can't even go to the loo at all nowadays and wishes he could wet himself.

KCat

Off topic ????...................On topic, Let me remind you that this is the same Licker who introduced grapes,  into a perfectly fine discussion,  about the Officials at the Roma games ?????.......sour grapes !!!!

..............and there are some who believe  the thread with the title  The Picayune Blasts the Managers Prawn Brigade.
was about  flavouring seafood  :005:

I say keep it real  ...sausages an all and no boxes  :045:

CorkedHat

Quote from: KCat on April 07, 2010, 09:52:21 AM
Off topic ????...................On topic, Let me remind you that this is the same Licker who introduced grapes,  into a perfectly fine discussion,  about the Officials at the Roma games ?????.......sour grapes !!!!

..............and there are some who believe  the thread with the title  The Picayune Blasts the Managers Prawn Brigade.
was about  flavouring seafood  :005:

I say keep it real  ...sausages an all and no boxes  :045:

And it was good old Licker who provided us with the General Knowledge quiz which was won by a brilliant erudite fellow called Corked Hat  - nothing wrong with a good old General Knowledge quiz is what I say.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

LBNo11

...I have a dilemma on the subject for these reasons:-

1) Non Football Related posts can be ignored by not looking at them, however, if there are a lot of them 'headlined' on a day then it can be a turn-off.

2) A dedicated NFR section may lead to calls for exclusive 'subject specific' posts also, such as politics, music, anything goes. I have seen The Fulham Independent and Fulham USA suffer, as well as other message boards because you have to spend 5 minutes navigating around a site to know where you want to respond or post!

I did think about adding NFR to the Overseas and Exiles, but was concerned that that would appear to 'devalue' the section.

I am undecided at the moment, NFR clearly shown in the 'headline' certainly helps - (as a moderator I have to look even if I have no interest) but I would prefer we keep them to a minimum, particularly while the season is still in full swing.

Oh! and blingo please remember that licker may be a toffee but has been a huge help with his advice in the various stages that FOF has been in existence for no other reason than he is a great bloke..!
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

blingo

Light head LB, I would NEVER put another teams supporter in front of one of my own and for that reason BYE BYE FROM BLINGO.