watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Off Topic Threads

Started by Lighthouse, April 04, 2010, 01:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatFreddysCat

I think you may be making a bit of a mountain out of a molehill Blingo me old mukka  , have a cup of tea and reread the thread . But he does have a point though Licker comes across as a good egg (sorry wrong thread  :011: ) he is an Everton supporter and shouldn't really moan about a Fulham forum. What about a Bertha sort of thread were all the waffling goes in one big thread?

Jimpav

Let's face it, if a thread is good or interesting then more often than not it will go the distance.  If people don't want to talk about sausages for example then the thread will die a natural death. If a good thread has been missed then it tends to get bumped.

I come on this site because I want to talk and argue about Fulham with other Fulham fans. However much like being in the pub there is only so long you can talk about a match for (Unless it's us beating Juventus 4-1) before the topic strays.

ps. Don't go Blingo, we need your positive vibes for tomorrow night.

CorkedHat

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on April 07, 2010, 11:08:12 AM
I think you may be making a bit of a mountain out of a molehill Blingo me old mukka  , have a cup of tea and reread the thread . But he does have a point though Licker comes across as a good egg (sorry wrong thread  :011: ) he is an Everton supporter and shouldn't really moan about a Fulham forum. What about a Bertha sort of thread were all the waffling goes in one big thread?

Now there's a great idea Fred. Do you think it would entice your missus back to this Board? And McBride Fan, White Witch, Big Mamma, Nogood Boyo, Sad Old Git and all the others who used to keep the old girl (Bertha - not your missus Fred) afloat.
Of course to get it under way we need a post from Fulham Footie Chick to say that she preferred the old MB.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

TonyGilroy

Quote from: LBNo11 on April 07, 2010, 10:46:03 AM
...I have a dilemma on the subject for these reasons:-

1) Non Football Related posts can be ignored by not looking at them, however, if there are a lot of them 'headlined' on a day then it can be a turn-off.

2) A dedicated NFR section may lead to calls for exclusive 'subject specific' posts also, such as politics, music, anything goes. I have seen The Fulham Independent and Fulham USA suffer, as well as other message boards because you have to spend 5 minutes navigating around a site to know where you want to respond or post!

I did think about adding NFR to the Overseas and Exiles, but was concerned that that would appear to 'devalue' the section.

I am undecided at the moment, NFR clearly shown in the 'headline' certainly helps - (as a moderator I have to look even if I have no interest) but I would prefer we keep them to a minimum, particularly while the season is still in full swing.

My view is that things should be kept as they are.

The lesson from the old, now defunct, TFI board was that the NFR sections were barely used apart from the politics section which became a seriously unpleasant place unless you were a hard line racist appalled by the BNP going soft.

Politics is a difficult issue for moderators to deal with. A blanket ban is at least unequivical. The alternative is to take a view post by post and only to intervene if things get nasty. I wouldn't want to be a moderator dealing with that 24/7.

I certainly don't want a board that is rigidly FFC only but it should be the principle reason for us being here and mixing all posts together doesn't seem to me to cause any problems. It neither encourages or discourages the NFR which seems right to me.

Logicalman

Personally, I see not a lot wrong with the current set up. I was dead against the Exiles section being renamed, as it does tend to encourage posts from the colonies for the colonials.

It would be helpful, after all, for posters (thread-makers) to prefix the NFR (er, does NFR stand for Not Fulham Related, or not Football Related?), then the purists amongst us can easily ignore them at will, without even having to read the rest of the title. For those that cannot even spell NFR, you'll just have to make do.

licker

Oh dear i seem to have caused a bit of a problem.

Blingo does have a point,  but i only came to voice my opinion because the thread had asked for it.
Blingo, i dont wish to chase anybody away from the forum, its just that i enjoy mixing it with the fans when i come down to the games, and i have had a few pints with several of the board members.
Sorry if i have upset anybody.

Bill.

Lighthouse

Fans and supporters from every and any club are always welcome here. Licker is one of us anyway he just doesn't realise it yet. But FOF can do without any of us but not sure many of us can happily do without FOF. Blingo is blingo and as such I look forward to him having a go in the near future.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Rupert

Definately vote to leave things as they are. Another forum I visit, but far less frequently than this, has lots of different areas for different topics, all well and good, but it ends up with a lot of topics being moved from one part to another as one of the moderators deems it to be more relevant for that part. And result is you lose track of interesting topics.

To take a recent offering, it started with something along the lines of does Roy know a TV programme about the Second World War in the Pacific is on, then moved to a discussion about doing a TV series on Vietnam, then moved to football between the trenches in 1915. An overzealous moderator with a non-football zone available would have swiftly moved it off of the main board and many of us would probably have never read it.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

HatterDon

I always assumed that NFR meant non Fulham related.

The question did make me think, though. Ever since the Colonials/Exiles category was created, 100% of threads and posts regarding cricket have appeared there. What's that mean? Probably nothing.

I ignore entire threads all the time -- and it has nothing to do with them being offensive or not being Fulham enough. For instance, the threads about away transportation, ground transport outages in London on matchdays, which pub is the best for a pre- or post-match tipple, etc., are vital to y'all who live in and around, but have marginal utility for me [deep in the Heart of Texas, as I am], so I generally skip them. I've also discovered that I can pretty much skip by threads originated by one or two folks without reading them just based on who started them.

Since I exercise pretty much absolute power over what I choose to read and what I choose to ignore, I'm the last person on this site to recommend eliminating someone because it isn't of interest to me or because it offends me.

Finally, COME BACK, MR. BLINGO.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

KCat

I am insulted for Blingo, I'm not sure why,  perhaps it's sour grapes :007:
..........and what will i do now ??? with no Blingo scale .............

I just cannot do depression -basement   

CorkedHat

Quote from: KCat on April 07, 2010, 09:57:17 PM
I am insulted for Blingo, I'm not sure why,  perhaps it's sour grapes :007:
..........and what will i do now ??? with no Blingo scale .............

I just cannot do depression -basement   

Luv ya KCat.
Let's stop taking ourselves and this MB so seriously. We should remember that this is an effing Message Board not the Magna Carta or the State of the Nation Address.
We have people huffing and puffing like a Dickensian orphanage headmaster whilst others take umbrage at things that shouldn't rate a zero on the Richter scale of importance.
I must confess that Tom gets on my wick and one of these days he is going to be the recipient of a vintage Corked Hat volley of abuse, but I will not allow him or anyone else to drive me off this MB even if the Beadle decrees that Tom has every right to upset me! WTF!

Lighthouse

The blingo scale will continue with or without the great man. But as we have all agreed or disagreed with each other on matters of Cheese and Football I really have to repeat (oh too much Cheese) that FOF can do without any of us. As Corked Hat rightly says (not a sentence one often hears) this is just an MB. Probably the most powerful MB in the World but did I receive 121 or 122 insults. Well in all this twaddle I can't remember. But do you care? Hey no. Sucks Boo to you. Do you feel plucky?

Think I have covered all my bases.

CorkedHat

Quote from: Lighthouse on April 08, 2010, 12:54:57 AM
The blingo scale will continue with or without the great man. But as we have all agreed or disagreed with each other on matters of Cheese and Football I really have to repeat (oh too much Cheese) that FOF can do without any of us. As Corked Hat rightly says (not a sentence one often hears) this is just an MB. Probably the most powerful MB in the World but did I receive 121 or 122 insults. Well in all this twaddle I can't remember. But do you care? Hey no. Sucks Boo to you. Do you feel plucky?

Think I have covered all my bases.

What do you mean that "As Corked Hat rightly says (not a sentence one often hears)". That is a downright insult, Shitehouse, and I am never, ever going to post on this stupid MB again.

Lighthouse

And my plan slowley unfolds. I will soon be the only poster left on FOF. I will rule the threads and I will become the master of all. Only I will be left to post and only I can agree with everything I say.

:035:  :011:   :020:   :55:  :58:  :59:   :048:  :041:  :026:   :017: :037: :55: :59: :011:

Lighthouse

You love listening to your own threads Dim Wit. You really do say the oddest things and have a go at players when all they need is a bit of respect. You may have other every other poster off this MB but even I am becoming sick and tired of this dribble of drivel.

Lighthouse

Oh yeah well if you don't like it you can .... What are you doing?.....Look it's only a bit of fun. Put that down.... No don't be a fool....DON'T DON'T ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

RidgeRider

First it's Blingo, and now Corked Hat. One more and I will half to lock this thread.  :49:

It all started so innocently and now, well, we have two posters vowing to never return and one drooling over in the corner.  :dft011:

HatterDon

Quote from: RidgeRider on April 08, 2010, 02:05:02 AM
First it's Blingo, and now Corked Hat. One more and I will half to lock this thread.  :49:

It all started so innocently and now, well, we have two posters vowing to never return and one drooling over in the corner.  :dft011:

Half to lock? Not have, mate!

Good night, England
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

RidgeRider

Quote from: HatterDon on April 08, 2010, 02:38:00 AM
Quote from: RidgeRider on April 08, 2010, 02:05:02 AM

Half to lock? Not have, mate!

Good night, England

Half a thought more like it.  :dft012:

CorkedHat

You might think that this is a post from Corked Hat in defiance of his vow not to post on here ever again, but I am your friendly hacker. I have assumed Corked hat's identity and now I can post ineffable rubbish and he can receive all the blame.
A wicked plan, what?