News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Foundation History Of The Fulham Football Club Final part (XII)

Started by LBNo11, April 06, 2010, 08:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

"Foundation History of The Fulham Football Club"
by
H.D. Shrimpton
(ex Fulham F.C. player and secretary)
PART  XII

There is one name which stands out in the history of the Club thoughout all its ups and downs, and it is a great pleasure for the author to put on record the name of J. May, a very gallant gentleman, affectionately known among the members, friends and associates as "Our Johnny."

One of the original St. Andrew's Club, he started his playing days as a back and after having the misfortune to break a leg he became goalkeeper, and remained so for many years until after the tenancy of Craven Cottage had been taken over by the Club. What a wonderful goalie Johnny was! After busting his ribs, breaking an arm and collar bone, he would pop up again between the "sticks." Eventually he retired with what some people called a "broken heart." This was when he suffered the mortification of eight goals passing him when playing Stanley F.C.

The author recollects that playing against Newbury, Johnny was knocked unconscious when saving from a corner kick. It was thought that he had regained his senses as he played out the game. After the match the Fulham Club were entertained to a high tea and concert to which Johnny contributed his share. Actually he did not regain his senses until the team were in the train on the homeward journey, when he sat up enquiring where he was and how he came to be there. When the Club was taken over by the present company, Johnny, with H. Shrimpton, took over the Club's canteen, and it was after two years of his connection with this that he passed to the Great Beyond.

As already stated, Fulham adopted professionalism in 1900 when, for financial reasons, a number of prominent sportsmen and public men were invited to take an active interest in the Club. A meeting was held at the "Kings Head," High Street Fulham. The Chair on this occasion was taken by Mr. J. Hitchcock, and the honorary Club secretary was Mr. Henry Shrimpton. Sitting at this meeting with the members of the Fulham committee were the late Sir H. Norris, Messrs. Allan, John Dean, J. Wilson, J. Hymers, C. Barter, J. Apps, H. Perks and W. Mugford.

As a result of this meeting the Fulham Football and Athletic Co Ltd., came into being, with the consequent liquidation of the old Club's affairs. Mr. Bertie Jackson, the old centre-halfback, was the first secretary of the newly-formed company, with Mr. Harry Bradshaw as manager.

The subsequent history of Fulham's professional career - their struggles in the Southern League and their ultimate promotion to the Second Division of the English League, their whole-hearted play while operating in such a high sphere of soccer, and their splendid achievements in reaching the semi-finals of the F.A. Cup in 1908 - is only too well known by the keen followers of West London soccer.

This 'series' is also being published in the excellent Fulham Fanzine 'TOOFIF'

Soon we will have a page dedicated to the history of Fulham FC, I would be very grateful for any photographs of Fulham through the ages, particularly the early years, if you have any please contact me via a PM....

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Peabody

I am visiting the Hammersmith Archive in the near future LB. I'll see if they have anything there.

LBNo11

FatFreddysCat

Are we attempting to go along with the lines of THE Arsenal per chance LB?

The Equalizer

Thanks Ed, just spotted this. It's been a terrific read from beginning to end.

Peabody, I'm also off to the Hammersmith Archive soon to do some investigations into my grandfather. I was having a discussion with one of the top guys there in The Bricklayers last week. The chap goes by the name of Peter Norman and used to be Headmaster at Sir John Lillie. He's a Fulham fan, as well as the dad of a couple of my close friends. He's going to take me down there and introduce me to the old girls so I can get full access to the archives.

My investigations aren't Fulham related though, I'll only be looking for newspaper clippings about my grandad's tenure as the first mayor of the London borough of Hammersmith and Fulham back in '65-'66 so I can produce a big gift for my Dad.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

LBNo11

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on April 07, 2010, 04:37:28 PM

Not at all Spence, we were the first football club in London and when you look at the wording on Craven Cottage it clearly states:-

THE FULHAM FOOTBALL CLUB

It is very flattering that Arsenal try and emulate us, but we are THE first with the THE prefix.

Apart from that I like the way that it differentiates us from the 'other' club in Fulham...

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: LBNo11 on April 07, 2010, 04:53:07 PM
Quote from: FatFreddysCat on April 07, 2010, 04:37:28 PM

Not at all Spence, we were the first football club in London and when you look at the wording on Craven Cottage it clearly states:-

THE FULHAM FOOTBALL CLUB

It is very flattering that Arsenal try and emulate us, but we are THE first with the THE prefix.

Apart from that I like the way that it differentiates us from the 'other' club in Fulham...

That'll do for me  :54: .

Peabody

I have visited two or three times Eq and it is very useful place for family history and they are very helpful as well as having  alot of useful information.