News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Lighthouse are you related to this bloke?

Started by CorkedHat, April 07, 2010, 10:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkedHat

Gillie Potter  was famous through the 1920s and 1930s for his eccentric comic monologues, displaying his own particular brand of acerbic facetiousness. Many of his monologues revolved round the imaginary village of Hogsnorton - one of radio's first 'imaginary communities' (like Harry Gordon's 'Inversnecky' or indeed Ambridge). He began his career on stage, with straight acting and then later in Variety - he made a great impression in the Royal Variety Performance of 1930: radio brought him to an even wider audience and its intimacy suited his style very well.

He was a difficult person in real life: his BBC file is bulging with irritated memos complaining about a variety of subjects: in particular the BBC's preference to have him perform in front of an audience, thinking that the laughter would make him sound even funnier. He objected to this: and the gramophone records (obviously recorded without an audience) show him to be correct - his monologues don't need any help.

The records are in very much the same style as his broadcasts, and show a high level of cleverness and wit in the writing.

What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

LBNo11

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Lighthouse

Brilliant isn't it. My Dad needless to say would oft quote the name. Aunt Fiffie, although less of an aunt but more a friend of an Uncle we no longer talked about after the coal hole incident. or the whole coal incident as it was once whispered in the Potter Christmas reauinion.Fiffie would mention she had once seen Gillie riding down the Newmarket Road on his way to the prison where he would entertain those present. However this turned out to be a false sighting. Aunt Fiffie was sadly mistaken. Which only goes to show that pottering down the Newmarket Road anyone could be mistaken for somebody else. I myself was once mistaken for somebody else. Although not on the Newmarket Road.

Well it only goes to prove that what was still is and nothing really changes if you look below the facade. Remember the facade and remember me to the family. If not yours then mine will do.

Good old Gillie

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope