watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Norfolk Jims enormously long wolfsburg musings

Started by NorfolkJim, April 10, 2010, 10:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorfolkJim

Brilliant Brilliant! Brilliant! Everything was Brilliant. I chose to travel to Wolfsburg via Bremen and take in a little bit more of Germany. The flight had a good number of familiar faces and black & white scarves and the hour passed quickly. Bremen airport is modern, spacious and under-utilised so made for a very easy transit. Within 15 minutes I was whisked into the town centre care of tram 6.

Bremen is pretty nondescript, probably because we bombed it to oblivion during the war, but it still has its original railway station. Food seems to be a national obsession in Germany with vendors at every turn and copious displays of sandwich and sausage on all sides

German railways are brilliant, at least the modern ICE trains are, 2nd class in these is better than 1st in the UK. You should see the special family compartments complete with play area and climbing frame! No noisy bored kids on these trains. 2 Hours later crossing flat empty countryside populated mainly by wind turbines and we are pulling into Wolfsburg via a quick change at Hannover. I took a bus to my hotel – set my alarm clock for 7 and went to sleep.

It was easy to get to the new stadium (via a Vietnamese restaurant – I do like it Spicey!) and within sight of Vfl's original ground, which is still used for reserve games and the ladies team. The walk there was a friendly affair with plenty of Fulham in evidence. You can see the VW arena at night from miles around, its green halo shining out across the flatness of this part of saxony.

As new stadia go, it had somehow avoided being a soulless bowl and as they go it is very well equipped. The traditional frisking still failed to reveal any cash I had previously missed and I was quickly into the ground having paused outside at reasonably priced vending stalls. It was good to be at a game that was in a first world country for a change – typical German efficiency made it a great place to be, lots of toilets ( I didn't even have to queue at half time ) good views (albeit inside the ever present cage), steep but safe seating with barriers to stop you tumbling down, and stewards who had thoughtfully brought lots of duct and cellotape with them helping people to hang their flags up since there was no suitable tie places for them.  Also the refreshments are placed at the midlevel and you can see the pitch clearly from the concourse. In lots of ways it's the perfect stadium and by far my personal favourite so far, Its even beside a river – well a ship canal, but it passes as a river.

Not sure how many we had with us, it seemed a lot but I was upstairs and could not see how full it was on the lower tier. It seemed similar to Basel but perhaps others can give a better number, We certainly gave it a good shout and being noisy and passionate,
They have a bit of an embarrasing introduction for the teams with a howling wolf video played on the stunningly large screens that would not have been out of place at Alton Towers.

Kick off and the Wolfsburg fans were stunned into silence by Zamoras early goal and we could scarce believe it. As a game goes I thought Fulham played better than at the cottage, were onto Wolfsburg much quicker and made far more telling attacks. It must have been a good game for the neutrals as both sides had chances and both keepers were called on to make quality saves.
The longer the game progressed the more Wolfsburg pressed forward and the more chances to break and put it to bed came our way. Although the ref gave us very little, I was feeling that the team could and would achieve the needed result and while I'd hoped for 1-1 it now looked like we should win.

After a suitable celebration and acknowledgement of and by the team, they let us straight out and it was pretty jubilant I can tell you. My hotel was 2.5 miles away and it now being 11pm the buses had stopped. Not everyone made it back for the 11.19 train to Hannover! I however, began my riverside stroll back to the hotel under a clear star festooned sky. A mile down the riverpath, with not a soul in sight (I was the only riverside walker the whole way) I could still hear the singing of the Fulham faithful, and the wail of police cars which either signified that the Flyer buses were on their way or that the town centre was experiencing a little bit of overjubilation.

The long walk was just perfect to reflect on the campaign and the result – Was it true? Were we really in the Semi Final? I bet Shakthars manager regrets his comments that "Fulham will not progress",

Straight to bed and up in time to devour as much breakfast as humanely possible before taking in the sights of Wolfsburg – a distinctly limited offering.

If you like cars you'll love the Autostadt, a theme park devoted to VW. When Germans buy a new VW they make a day of it by coming here to collect it and visit the plant at the same time. For 15E you can visit the fabulous car and motorbike museum, drool over the rather naff Lamborghini light show, take a nice boat trip, being given a tour of the VW plant (Which I sadly missed) and get whisked up  a glass tower to take in the awesome sight of the VW plant and its iconic brick power station (Think battersea but in a straight line)

No visit to Wolfsburg would be complete without visiting the Kuntzmuseum I thought, but was disappointed to find it was some kind of poncy modern art museum with not a Kuntz to be seen anywhere. And having done that, that was Wolfsburgs attraction exhausted.

I found the locals very friendly and it was fun to use my rather rusty German. Do that and they quickly break out their perfect English (Bloody Europeans) once you get into bother. I rather liked them. One guy told me all about Wolfsburgs rise to the top flight and his visit to Craven Cottage and how he felt so welcome in our pubs by the Fulham fans. He also said there had been a little bit of fighting in the town centre Thursday night, but I saw nothing myself. The bars shut very early in Wolfsburg with just a very few staying open for tjose who wished to drink to our success, so I guess there might have been the odd person had a few too many.

Back in Bremen I took in the funfair. They know how to put on a great fair in Germany and it was buzzing. It was also devoid of hoodies wreaking havoc on the general population, everyone was having der really gutte time, jah! It was the best thing I saw in Bremen, though I took in the few old building the RAF had missed.

I was surprised at how many beggers there are in Bremen. Don't they have any social security in Germany? This was a surprise to me but at least they were not aggressive about it.

No6 Tram to the airport was suddenly very full of happy Fulham fans as great minds thought alike. In no time we were in the empty departure hall and looking up at the departure board which showed that the last flight of the day had just left. Squeeky bum time until we realised that Ryanair have their own terminal at Bremen (Which looks very like Norwich airport in both design and size). Again a nice flight back to Stansted and an easy drive home to Norfolk on deserted roads.

Now I need to find some way to get the day off for Hamburg. Its not looking good as it clashes with a number of work commitments. I've used up all my legitimate excuses! This has near bankrupted me, so glad just 2 more trips to make. Fans & team, you were Brilliant - COYWs
:55:

mrska

Fandabbidozi...  brilliant...  felt like i was there with you mate!!!!!

blingo

SuffolkWhite

Nice report Norfolk  :045: glad you had a great time.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

The Equalizer

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

billhertford

a very enjoyable musing.
Thank You......... :045:

JezamyBates

always enjoy these posts Jim

I admire the way you go more obscure routes! Bremen sounds a dump

finnster01

Mr Jim,

That was yet again very much top shelf. Terrific piece. I love your travel reports. They are such good readings. Thanks a million for sharing
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Lighthouse

Part Social comment, part Sport report and part Travelogue. All entertaing and all informative. Could you just report back on things like shopping trips and putting the bins out just to feed the thirst for entertainment before your nex Euro trip.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Admin

Superb once again Norfolk Jim! I must dedicate some web space to this brilliance at some stage..

GoldCoastWhite

Sehr guht mein herr, wunderbahr even  :54: these reports really do add something to the whole occasion for those of us that follow from afar.

NogoodBoyo

Good old Jim - a legend.
Nogood "Jim going European and/or bust, isit" boyo

RidgeRider

HatterDon

Let me add my thanks. I really do appreciate these first-person reports.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Rupert

Quote from: NorfolkJim on April 10, 2010, 10:58:33 AM
Bremen is pretty nondescript, probably because we bombed it to oblivion during the war, but it still has its original railway station.

Of course it has, the only reason we had to bomb the place (apart from payback) was to knock out the railway so the only thing we would not have managed to hit was the railway.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

leonffc

Cheers for that Jim. Are you publishing your Euro memoirs at the end of the season? Of course you'll have to include Hamburg!! I'm sure work will understand.

NorfolkJim

Thanks for the positive feedback. I am currently on holiday (though I do have to work on Wednesday this week) for the next week as are most staff, so I will only be able to beg for mercy next week unless I try e-mail. The problem with e-mail is that its so impersonal, the tone is determined by the recipient. What I write to the head honcho in simpering tones of toadiness will no doubt be recieved as an arrogant demand warranting a visit to HR for my cards!
As all my relatives are now officially dead and HR now require a sick note for even one day off when Fulham are playing all I can do now is to ask nicely.
For sure this will mean going either by the overnight ferry (it has a bar for those who fancy the same route), thinks its from Hull or Harwich, will check, or maybe by Wizzair to Poland and back to Hamburg.
Thats what so good about drawing a German side - The airlines (and it seems the club too! Shocking prices) may try to fleece those who merely consider London - Hamburg as their preferred route, but there are so many possible routes to Hamburg that I am spoiled for choice, at least until its the turn of the Scousers to try and get there and for that reason alone I kind of hope we get Athletico in the final. But first.... Bring on the Hamburgers

Zamora muching his hamburger - prophetic or what?

leonffc

I will only be able to beg for mercy next week unless I try e-mail. The problem with e-mail is that its so impersonal, the tone is determined by the recipient. What I write to the head honcho in simpering tones of toadiness will no doubt be recieved as an arrogant demand warranting a visit to HR for my cards!
As all my relatives are now officially dead and HR now require a sick note for even one day off when Fulham are playing all I can do now is to ask nicely.
[/quote]

My word, these farms aint arf come on, HR and emails?? Sorry Jim, only joking. Where are you from in Norfolk exactly? I've been about a fair bit out that way

NorfolkJim

I live in the north of the county but I actually work in Norwich at an agricultural college, have been there a good many years now since leaving the land. Can still drive a tractor though.

Jimpav

The original and the best!

Great read Jim, sounds like you had an excellent trip.