watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Duffers

Started by alexbishop, September 02, 2012, 03:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexbishop

First of all, how excellent has he been this year, since about Jan this year and being a first team regular he has been superb. Rate him so highly and despite his age he is still one of the best wingers in the league.

That said we do have a new right winger through the door who will want first team game time. Do you think Duff could be converted into a box to box central midfielder to partner Diarra?

He still has enough pace, he has strong defensive qualities, he can dribble, pass and of course is a strong finisher. His main quality is his high work rate which I think is essential for a box to box midfielder.

Thoughts?
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

the nutflush

I was thinking the same thing.  Was about to open a thread with the same theory.  Hes been our best player this season.  Hes got the right attitude and hes our most versatile player. I would put him in the middle and play Ruiz in his wide position.

EJL

We won't know until Jol tries it out. He's definitely got all the right qualities.

General

I think due to the players we have you'll see him (or you should see him) being moved into the middle three with Diarra and Dejegah.

I think up front you may see Rodallega ------ Berbatov --------- Ruiz/Petric  higher up the pitch. I'd love to see Ruiz really take on this season but at the moment we need those who have a high work ethic and Petric has that over Ruiz.

MasterHaynes

Quote from: General on September 02, 2012, 03:28:11 PM
I think due to the players we have you'll see him (or you should see him) being moved into the middle three with Diarra and Dejegah.

I think up front you may see Rodallega ------ Berbatov --------- Ruiz/Petric  higher up the pitch. I'd love to see Ruiz really take on this season but at the moment we need those who have a high work ethic and Petric has that over Ruiz.
Ruiz is surprisingly hard working, looking at stats from Norwich he covered more ground than anyone amd was our 2nd highest in tackles. I think he will show his real worth this season, just needs to keep fit.

Mr Fulham

As I said in another thread - Davies is the likelier choice when you want to convert one of them (Duff, Davies) into a box-to-box CM.

RidgeRider

I think Ruiz will fill a role sort of similar to what Moussa did but the thread is about Duff and its an interesting idea. He can maintain possession of the ball and still can cut and move.

I made the comment on another thread that this season will be interesting in that Jol will have to make some interesting lineup decisions to mold this group into an effective side. I'm looking forward to how he copes with the players he has.

Duff in the middle might work but I'm thinking Ruiz is more likely.

alexbishop

Quote from: Mr Fulham on September 02, 2012, 04:13:37 PM
As I said in another thread - Davies is the likelier choice when you want to convert one of them (Duff, Davies) into a box-to-box CM.
Trouble is no ones seen anything of Davies in months so we have no idea what sort of form he's in, whether he's fit or whether he's still any good!
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

alexbishop

Quote from: RidgeRider on September 02, 2012, 04:15:33 PM
I think Ruiz will fill a role sort of similar to what Moussa did but the thread is about Duff and its an interesting idea. He can maintain possession of the ball and still can cut and move.

I made the comment on another thread that this season will be interesting in that Jol will have to make some interesting lineup decisions to mold this group into an effective side. I'm looking forward to how he copes with the players he has.

Duff in the middle might work but I'm thinking Ruiz is more likely.

Thing is you don't pay £10m for a player and not play him in his preferred role. No idea what position Ruiz prefers to be honest but we must assume he feels more comfortable in an advanced role rather than a central role.
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

bog

Always been a favourite of mine. 

BishopsParkFantastic

Mr Fulham. Always minimalist with words - but always informative, of value and worth reading. Would be great to get a response to my thread, on today: 'Fulham team, selection and strategy'.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Ruiz should play between the midfield and the forwards. His workrate and tackling have improved but we need him to be creative.

It is an interesting idea to play Duff or Davies in central midfield. I think that they could do it.

You could then play Kacaniklic, Frei or Dejagah on the right.