watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Where have all the flowers gone, long time passing

Started by CorkedHat, April 16, 2010, 01:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkedHat

Years ago I used to like to have a bet on the horses. This was something I inherited from my old man and in those far off days I was fascinated with such jockeys as Greening, Sirrett, Piggott, Doug and Eph Smith, Gordon Richards and so on.
There was one jockey that I followed avidly. His name was Greville Starkey and I think initially I was more attracted by his name rather than his ability.
Greville, however, rode about 2,000 winners and he supplemented my meagre wage on many occasion.
Today Greville checked out and has gone to the great paddock in the sky.
When you get to my age all the heroes of your youth start to fall off the perch. In recent years this has been no more evident than in the passing of Johnny Haynes, Bobby Robson, Arthur Stevens, Bedford Jezzard, Jimmy Langley and Bobby Keetch.
Although it is inevitable it is also very sad.
RIP Greville
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

blingo

I concur with the RIP Greville. To be honest I didnt think he was that old was he? I remember getting a tip for Cataldi for the Lincoln when he rode it from a bookie who's serious advice to me was back it but dont you dare back it in any of my shops. If you read the sporting life that morning Cataldi had only 3 legs and had no chance being top weight. It won by 10 lengths at 10/1 and I won a few grand which was a lot in those days. Reading the next edition of the sporting life the SAME reporter stated that Greville had told him that Cataldi felt like he had two hand grenades in his hands ready to explode he was working that well.
Thanks Greville for that win and the many others you gave me. RIP.

Peabody

When you think back to our youth Corky and the sporting heroes of then. The likes of Bill Kitchen (Speedway), Reg Harris (Cycling), Bruce Woodcock (Boxing), by the way, did'nt he come from Battersea? Gordon Pirie(Athletics) and the terrible twins from Middlesex Bill Edrih and Denis Compton (Cricket), as well as all the football heroes. All different sports but back then, they were all household names. Just like the amatuer football teams of the dat, Pgasus, Walthamstow Avenue, Tooting and Mitcham. Why is sport now so narrow as to not have heroes from other sports?

CorkedHat

Quote from: Peabody on April 16, 2010, 06:59:51 PM
When you think back to our youth Corky and the sporting heroes of then. The likes of Bill Kitchen (Speedway), Reg Harris (Cycling), Bruce Woodcock (Boxing), by the way, did'nt he come from Battersea? Gordon Pirie(Athletics) and the terrible twins from Middlesex Bill Edrih and Denis Compton (Cricket), as well as all the football heroes. All different sports but back then, they were all household names. Just like the amatuer football teams of the dat, Pgasus, Walthamstow Avenue, Tooting and Mitcham. Why is sport now so narrow as to not have heroes from other sports?

Don Cockell was the Battersea boy Mr P. When he went to fight for the World Title in America my dad allowed me to stay up and listen to it on the radio. I can see that you were a Middlesex man as opposed to me who was a Surrey man.
Whereas Bill Kitchen of Wembley was your speedway hero, mine, was Ronnie Moore of Wimbledon and I was quite fond of Barry Briggs as well.
In cricket I worshipped Kenny Barrington and John Edrich of Surrey but I also liked your Denis Compton of Middlesex.
In amateur football I used to follow Corinthian Casuals mainly because they played at The Oval but I used to have a soft spot for Dulwich Hamlet too.
And what about Geoff Duke (Motor Cycling), Roger Bannister (Athletics) Johnny Leach (Table Tennis) Stirling Moss (Motor Racing) and of copurse Roy of the Rovers!

Peabody

I was only just a Middlesex man being born and bred in Hammersmith. There were English tennis players from that time who were heroes, though, for the love of me, I cannot remember their names, other than Angela Buxton and Ann Jones, oh yes there was Tony Mottram (Busters Dad) Thanks for the Don Cockell bit.

epsomraver

Corky, Don Cockle used to live on the corner of Armory Way, his dad had a record shop there and he used to live in the flat above it, my Dad told me as  we passed it every day on the way to school

CorkedHat

Quote from: epsomraver on April 17, 2010, 10:47:24 AM
Corky, Don Cockle used to live on the corner of Armory Way, his dad had a record shop there and he used to live in the flat above it, my Dad told me as  we passed it every day on the way to school

I know Armoury Way well Mr ER. It was a good goal kick away from where I lived in York Road (well a couple of goal kicks anyway) and there was a home there for unmarried mothers which was always an interesting venue.
When they tarted up the street someone told me that Daley Thompson once lived there. It always seemed a bit unlikely to me but the person who told me this swore that it was true.
The only tennis player I know, never having been a great fan of the game, was Christine Truman who had a face like an old fashioned door knocker. The only reason I knew her was that she was born on exactly the same day as me.
The name of jockeys from fifty years ago, however, remain with me like barnacles. WH Carr, Rickaby, Manny and Joe Mercer, Last race Cook, Breasley, Swift, Johnstone, and so on.