watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Murphy Wants Cup Win & New Contract

Started by White Noise, April 18, 2010, 10:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_method=full%26objectID=22193960%26siteID=93463-name_page.html

HAMBURG V FULHAM

Dean Jones

Thursday, KO 8.05pm

Live on ESPN

Danny Murphy is ready to bust a gut in pursuit of the double - a 12-month contract extension on top of more European glory.

The 33-year-old midfielder wants to finish his career at Fulham.

He has one year remaining on his contract at Craven Cottage - and there could more if he keeps pace in the Premier League next season.

It would be the perfect platform for the Fulham captain to bow out after a successful career, in which he won a unique treble with Liverpool in 2001 of League Cup, FA Cup and Uefa Cup. Murphy said: "I hope this is my last club. I've got another year after this and I'm feeling all right."

Ruud Van Nistelrooy is aiming to destroy Fulham's European dream.

The Dutchman has a tremendous record against the Whites as he scored 10 times from nine outings against them during his time with Manchester United.

He joined Hamburg in January and success over Fulham would see the German outfit playing the final on home turf.

He said: "To win the cup at our stadium would be the icing on the cake for us. It would be fantastic.

"But we know we still have to work hard to win the Europa League."

Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer, who reached the UEFA Cup final four years ago with Middlesbrough, said: "We have the chance of a lifetime now and it is all in our own hands."

Lighthouse

Danny has been looking a little out of sorts this year but we have yet to find a replacement for him.

As for Von Nistleknee I have never forgiven him for scoring a lovely goal at the Cottage which started from the half way line with an elbow to Legwinskis face which apparently was fair and not a deliberate foul. Plus all the offsides he has conned the referee with. Still lets hope he is a pale shadow of his former self.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

blingo

Our defence never included H and H when he played against us, and they WILL keep him out.

White Noise

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/37080/The_Genius_ofDanny_Murphy.aspx

The Genius of...Danny Murphy

Author:  Miguel Assuncao

Posted on:19 April 2010 - 09:53

Danny Murphy's deadline day move to Fulham from Tottenham Hotspur in the summer of 2007 appeared to provide a temporary midfield stop-gap after Lawrie Sanchez had allowed Papa Bouba Diop to move to Portsmouth and decided against renewing the contract of Claus Jensen.

The former Liverpool midfielder was not particularly impressive in his few months at Fulham with his lack of match sharpness and the aerial football encouraged by Sanchez doing little to help his adaptation at Craven Cottage.

After a series of poor performances, the former Northern Ireland manager was removed from his position as Fulham manager and Roy Hodgson took over, bringing with him a new regime of neat possession football and defensive organisation allowing for a greater amount of creativity.

That proved to be a turning point for Murphy. The 33-year-old became an instrumental part of team under Hodgson who gave him the freedom to be more ambitious, driving the team on.

He was named captain soon after and his leadership of the team was crucial in the Cottagers battle against relegation. Indeed it was Murphy that assured the clubs Premier League status with an uncharacteristic header in the final game of the season away at Portsmouth condemning Reading and Birmingham City to the drop.

Murphy's craft on the ball has been one of the main reasons why Fulham have been able become a respected Premier League team who this season were able to push on in European competitions, with the London-based side currently looking forward to a Europa League semi-final against Hamburg SV.

Although not able to surge around the pitch, his guile and ability to spread the play has allowed the quicker players to express themselves. The consistency and composure that he has demonstrated has given Fulham the basis to be able to defend results where they so often dropped points.

The partnership that he has created with Dickson Etuhu has given a great balance to the outlook of the team. The combination of tackling ability and passing ability has meant that Fulham have become of the league's most difficult teams to break down.

Murphy ability to rise to the occasion has also been of great benefit to Fulham. The teams recent cup runs have shown an increased level of maturity which had not seen on the riverbank of the Thames for many years. Defeats of Manchester United, Liverpool and Juventus highlight just how competitive the squad has become.

It will be interesting whether Murphy decides to take up a career in management. The Fulham number 13 has showed great leadership qualities on the pitch and his wealth of experience give him a good footing to go and become a successful coach.