watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jolly Gardeners - never again

Started by Hammer Smith, April 18, 2010, 10:55:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

The point being is that this group has been met a bad attitude before any of us have caused any trouble in there. As a group, it was decided to come away from the Golden Lion due to Ann's antics over chucking people out for singing a few songs, terrible bar service and a pub that stinks of wee. On match days (and how she does it) she must make an absolute mint and a bt of gratitude wouldn't go a miss.

Getting back to the Jolly Gardeners, I think the current owner (and she is young early 30's) must have encountered a few bad Fulham fans at first hand and traned us all with the same brush. Thats well and fine if she was scared sh1tless etc but...

The group of us that drink in their now are all respectable. We buy their beer, we buy their food, we don't take the p1ss, we all dress smartly (be it for the odd bit of Fulham merchandise here and there), we are polite to their staff, curtious to other customers, don't abuse the place so I can't see their problem and leave quietly. If anything, we all do a bit of cash in there before & after games and like me, I always do £100 plus on a day trip to Fulham.

I think the Jolly Gargdners is a no win, no win sistuation to be honest and they are sticking by their guns regardless of how nice, polite, well dressed and well behaved your kids are so you're better off out of it to be honest. I'd even go to far as saying that they would pass off the extra £300 - £500 they make from us on match days to keep it just their own.

finnster01

But why leave 300-500 easy quid on the table? It is not like when you run a pub (a business) you don't know the pro's and cons of the trade in the first place. It's a competitive business and why leave an easy recurring revenue at least every second weekend on the table? Other places would like to milk that, especially these days. That is about 6000-10000 pounds a year just on home league games (19 home games), forget about Europe, Gerries and tourists with deep pockets?. Who can afford to walk away from that?

You can't run a business that way, or at least you can't grow it. It would be like me turning down business with the Chinese or Americans because I had a problem and said I don't like them and a few of them caused me trouble once in a while. My business wouldn't be around anymore, that's for sure.

Jolly Gardner sounds like it is run by a very immature owner who is in over her head and will be out of business very soon. It is not like there is no option for a pint somewhere else.

Very shortsighted if you ask me. But as they say, what comes around goes around. She'll meet her maker soon enough
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Admin

Quote from: finnster01 on April 19, 2010, 12:36:14 AM
But why leave 300-500 easy quid on the table? It is not like when you run a pub (a business) you don't know the pro's and cons of the trade in the first place. It's a competitive business and why leave an easy recurring revenue at least every second weekend on the table? Other places would like to milk that, especially these days. That is about 6000-10000 pounds a year just on home league games (19 home games), forget about Europe, Gerries and tourists with deep pockets?. Who can afford to walk away from that?

You can't run a business that way, or at least you can't grow it. It would be like me turning down business with the Chinese or Americans because I had a problem and said I don't like them and a few of them caused me trouble once in a while. My business wouldn't be around anymore, that's for sure.

Jolly Gardner sounds like it is run by a very immature owner who is in over her head and will be out of business very soon. It is not like there is no option for a pint somewhere else.

Very shortsighted if you ask me. But as they say, what comes around goes around. She'll meet her maker soon enough

SPENCER & CO.  :62:

Hazey

When I first arrived in the UK, near 8 years ago about 8 friend and I were there for Sunday roast.  It was a mixed group so wasnt like 8 blokes out on the lash or anything.  We ate our meals and had a few bottles of vino, then some spirits to cap off the weekend as we recounted what we'd been upto.....all having a great time......

Then.... low and hold we got asked to leave at 1630 on a Sunday afternoon for....

Get this....

Laughing too loud and having fun as it was disturbing other customers!!!!

Feeling more than a little bemused and offended as we all were grabbing our coats I actually asked the people around us if they were offended and not one said yes and actually commented that they had been listening in on our drunken stories with great interest.

F*rking weird that place and I have not returned since.
At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at FFC we have spirit. Fulham people can touch that spirit - they are the real Cottagers, they are the club

Hammer Smith

Having listened to all your opinions about this I think that the current management won't change their opinions of us as they are just bigots. Incidentally, they allow rugby shirts so you could buy one of the FFC rugby shirts and call their bluff! Think somehow the rules could be reinterpreted in this situation. Going in there and acting like hoolies will obviously make them feel vindicated in their prejudices which on refection is not what I think we Fulham fans should encourage even though in one sense I wouldn't be that bothered (delighted really, in a heart over head way!).

I don't think the manager(s) are necessarily the owners of this pub. My wife and a friend have both complained via www.thejollygardenerssw15.co.uk[/url] and also via a facebook page and it could be that this pub is part of some bigger operation although I'm not sure on this point. One thing is clear: they don't know how to run a business and the best we can do is to help put them out of work.

Still struggling to find another pleasant traditional type of pub in Putney that has both edible food and reasonable management. The only one I've come across that appealed here was one just the other side of Wandsorth Park called the Cat's ...? something or other....too far away though really for a match day....Dukes Head and Coat and Badge food is shite.

The Equalizer

Hazey, 8 years ago it was a totally different pub. It used to be run by Bass and had a Saloon and Public bar like all good pubs in the area. My friend Carlos actually managed it for a while in the late 90s when my Dad was still drinking there. It's since turned into a yuppie haven with yummy mummies being the favoured clientelle.

I mean, what 'pub' had making sock monkeys on a sunday afternoon? Most pubs I go to it's 10 pints of lager and a game of darts.

Spence - Sierra Nevada is a Californian Pale Ale. And very nice to boot (at 5.6% it also levels you after a couple).
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Jimpav

The good news is that as you told them about your visit you may win a meal for two and a bottle of wine!

If someone could confirm what a sock monkey is it would be appreciated also.

finnster01

Here you go Mr Jimpav. Here is a sock monkey

And here is the instructions on how to make one:

http://lennytaylor.freeyellow.com/Monkey.htm

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Jimpav

Cheers Finn.

My next question is WHY????????!

I appreciate that other people may not see the point of watching 22 men kicking a ball around but it's a lot less stranger than going to the pub to make monkeys made out of socks.

What's the world coming to?!

blingo

Finny I worry about you sometimes lol.

Hazey

It may not have been as long as eight years sorry - it was deinitely called the Jolly Gardener when we went..

Maybe 4-5 years?  Seems I lost the first few in a clubbing fog...

Quote from: The Equalizer on April 19, 2010, 12:25:34 PM
Hazey, 8 years ago it was a totally different pub. It used to be run by Bass and had a Saloon and Public bar like all good pubs in the area. My friend Carlos actually managed it for a while in the late 90s when my Dad was still drinking there. It's since turned into a yuppie haven with yummy mummies being the favoured clientelle.

I mean, what 'pub' had making sock monkeys on a sunday afternoon? Most pubs I go to it's 10 pints of lager and a game of darts.

Spence - Sierra Nevada is a Californian Pale Ale. And very nice to boot (at 5.6% it also levels you after a couple).
At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at FFC we have spirit. Fulham people can touch that spirit - they are the real Cottagers, they are the club

JBH

Just emailed them, I had a simular experience with the wicked witch!

I will now take my custon to the Spotted Horse or Boathouse.   :028:

BarneyTravers

Time to venture over the river again I feel...love Putney but gonna give the Bedford and Wilton (or whatever they have rebranded themselves) a go again if nothing to else other than to experience them impoverished times of the eighties and nineties.

Fulham for the cup.