more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Where Is Fulham's Benchmark Now?

Started by White Noise, April 28, 2010, 11:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Is it Everton?

I know they have a bigger capacity and overall fan base but they seem quite like us in a lot of way and strike me as being the next logical mark to aim for.

They make one big signing a season like Heitinga or Fellaini but otherwise get players on frees or low fees. They are a team without stars, they are very consistent and they play quite a tight defensively biased game.

I think we are a top 10 team and have moved beyond the likes of Blackburn, Sunderland and Bolton. If you look at who are probably the 10 strongest teams in the division,

1) Man Utd
2) Dark Side
3) Arsenal
4) Man City
5) Liverpool
6) Tottenham
7) Aston Villa
8) Everton
9) Fulham
10) Sunderland

I think that matching and overtaking Everton is the next step on the ladder. I think we will follow their philosophy this summer of one £10 million plus signing a a season plus a couple of sub £5 million players and the rest free or under £2.5 million.

If we could start to bring through young players like some of the ones they have up there as well it would definitely take us to another level.

BestOfBrede

I think Villa as well as Everton in equality terms
They are both just above us but we are getting closer by the season. :003:

finnster01

I think Everton is a realistic target, perhaps not Villa yet (unless they get rid of O'Neill).

On the other hand given the resources available, you have to be concerned about Sunderland and now potentially Newcastle especially if they finally are getting sold (which rumours in the finance world have it they are about to after clinching the promotion)
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

blingo

It all depends on the players we buy in and keeping hold of RH.

TonyGilroy

We're over achieving and might for a while yet but we won't, IMO, ever have a fan base comparable to clubs like Everton and Newcastle.

Two major problems - we share London with at least 3 larger clubs and our ground is half the size required by a club at the next level.

We'd lose too much identity if we left Craven Cottage and couldn't now fill a 50K stadium but if we're to aspire to top 7 status regularly we'd need to be able to do that. Or acquire a global brand but for that we'd need sustained success which does not mean occasional Europa League success and top 10 finishes.

Lighthouse

Our bench mark is top half and forget about trying to emulate bigger clubs. The trick now is not just to improve but to consistently stay where we are.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Lighthouse on April 28, 2010, 02:08:27 PM
Our bench mark is top half and forget about trying to emulate bigger clubs. The trick now is not just to improve but to consistently stay where we are.

Bang on

os5889

The only benchmarks I can think of  are Portsmouth in terms of fan base, capacity and attendance.

.....And as such we are doing well I think

Vinnieffc

I don't really like using other teams as a benchmark for ourselves. we are unique and should just go out to be the best Fulham we can be  :045:

The Rock

When we stayed up during the Great Escape I prayed for mid table mediocrity, and that hasn't changed.

Rupert

It is great to see so many level headed responses here.

In my opinion, we are over achieving and are not, in all honesty, level with the likes of Sunderland or a properly run Newcastle (if such a creature exists). This season is a very special season, it is likely to be the one we remember into our respective dotages, and I think it would be a terrible mistake to think of kicking on from here.
Rather, we need to concentrate on developing the club infrastructure to see the Academy develop several youngsters who break into the first team, then see our fanbase increase to fill the Cottage regularly, without resorting to cheap tickets, even for the likes of Bolton and Stoke, and only then will we be in a position to think about challenging the Evertons and Villas on a regular basis rather than, as now, when we have a good year.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

beijing ben

This season has been a remarkable season. It is extremely unlikely that it will ever happen again. If we keep Roy then we have a good chance of maintaining where we are right now and that is on the periphery of the top ten but even that will be difficult to maintain. What we should be aiming to do, and what all fans i hope realise, is to stay in the premiership. Whatever happens tomorrow that is the only thing we should be thinking about for next season and next season will be the most difficult for some time with Newcastle and West Brom coming up. Let's not think about next season and future seasons right now. Let's concentrate everything on the Europa League and enjoy every moment of it. I will be flying in from Beijing for the final if we make it...

clintclintdeuce

We are growing in terms of popularity and status around the world. To compare us with Villa and Everton may be a stretch, but we have been solid for two years, and another 2 would solidify that fact.... I do think Newcastle and West Ham certianly have more of the status and popularity then even Villa and Everton worldwide, but they do not compare on the pitch.
The Dude abides.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Lighthouse on April 28, 2010, 02:08:27 PM
I'm with Lighthouse .