watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Race Report #11

Started by RidgeRider, April 29, 2010, 03:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RidgeRider

On Saturday I completed my second hilly road race. One wonders what goes through me head when signing up for these races but heck, I just like to get out there and see what I can do. I had originally signed up for the Open 4 class but due to schedule and wanting to race with the older guys, I decided to wait list. Being 22nd on the wait list a week ago did not inspire confidence I would get in but with a little praying and telling myself I was going to get in, I did the 4AM out of bed routine and on the road by 5AM to pick up my commuter racing friend and off to Wente Vineyards in Livermore we went.

Going into it, all I had hope for was to stay with the pack on that first climb. It was the only chance I had, knowing I still weigh 215 pounds and its not easy moving this much body up that hill, my goals were modest, just don't get last.  :029: 

Got to the race, setup, applied butt butter, rode my bike around to warm up and showed up at 8:10AM at registration to see if I would get in. Race started at 8:30AM and at 8:15, they started calling names, well, two names, and together they took 10 minutes. I nervously waited and as it turned out I somehow managed to get one of the last two spots, being that far down the list, I was lucky. I guess some people decided not to do this race at the last minute, even though the event promoters were emailing us during the week to confirm we were coming. I begged a woman to pin both numbers on my kit with seconds to spare, I gave her a big hug and found I was in the back of the bus of a full field of 75.

We started out pretty easy but no where to move up as the field was riding 5 wide across the lane and we couldn't go across the yellow line. It didn't bode well for me as I really needed to get up to the front, but unsuccessfully I only inched up a bit. I was probably in 60th spot as we got to the right hand turn to go up the climb and I gave a big effort to stay in touch with the back of the group. About 2/3 of the way up, a small gap started to form and I started losing touch with the peloton and by the time we hit the next small hill, they had a 50 yard gap on me as I tried to catch back on, I realized I wasn't going to be able to do it myself and tried to get some help, but the help was more gassed than me and didn't want to hammer, so I took off and gave chase. I was near the back so the guys behind me, which were just a few, stayed there. I got really close to a small group that was working together but they had fallen off the back as well and I never quite got to them, but not for lack of trying.

On the second lap, I cramped and started to slow down as I slugged some water to help alleviate the cramps. Three guys on PenVelo who were working together caught me and let me in and we worked together until the climb and it was clear they couldn't stay with me so I left them on the hill and rode the whole 3rd lap solo putting a big gap on them in the process. I was caught buy some of the earlier groups on the backside, saw Dan and the fellas from the Masters team go by me and the 55+ lead group passed me. Once we got to the flat stretch coming home, I actually caught and passed the entire lead group of the 55+ group, except the leader who had passed me on lap two (he was WAY out in front!), which felt good and then I was re-passed by a few of the 55's, as we climbed the climb for the 4th time to the finish line.

I finished 64th out of 75. Not really worse or better than I expected. It was good to finally do the course, and the race, after racing Copperopolis as well, this race has convinced me to finally get really aggressive with 'getting leaner' so I can compete in these types of courses. I much prefer the road courses but am not too competitive when there are lots of hills......yet!

So next time you see me or read one of my drivel filled posts, make sure you ask about how my plan is going and if I am down from 215 or not.  Actually I am now down to 213, which is where I finished  in our contest. Trying to lose 20 by July. Big ask but....... no guts, no glory.

Tom

Great job RR! Keep up the hard work. Every time im at the gym and on the bike I think about you. What in the world is butt butter? Never heard of that.
Fulham for life!

blingo

Will you still need me
Will you still feed me
If im sixty fourth.

Looks like the hills stuffed you a bit there m8, but a very creditable effort. You clearly haven't written BLINGO on your shirt label yet  :011:. A very enjoyable read. The Blingo diet is gauranteed to make you lose weight  :dft012:

The Equalizer

Good effort RR - I can't imagine what it must be like cycling up those steep inclines. Every time I've tried it myself I've gone flat out, stopped dead because my legs can't carry me any further, then fell over.

Keep up the good work mate, you're an inspiration to us all.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

finnster01

Thanks for posting that Jack.

I was getting nervous someone had stolen your bike for a moment as I hadn't had one of the race report fixes in a long time. Always tremendous reads. The whole FoF crew is supporting you mate.

Now, after typing all of that, where did I put that remote control again... :dft004:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

blingo

look backwards into a mirror and bend over. Isnt that where you found it last time after the night in the Harlem bar shouting COYW's lol. anyway what you doing up at this time of the day????? :59:

finnster01

Quote from: blingo on April 29, 2010, 08:29:26 AM
look backwards into a mirror and bend over. Isnt that where you found it last time after the night in the Harlem bar shouting COYW's lol. anyway what you doing up at this time of the day????? :59:
English phone admin Blingo.
Having two offices on two different continents can be a pain in the arse sometimes
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

blingo

I know Finny I have a business in Morocco aswell but the African continent is only 90 mins away by car and boat and 1 hour behind lol. Serves you right for being Fulhams equivalent of Alan Whicker  :005: