watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

At Last... A Bobby Zamora Interview

Started by White Noise, May 02, 2010, 07:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

I can't remember the last time I saw an interview with Bob. This one gives some interesting insights.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/800843/BOBBY-ZAMORA-CLAIMS-I-NEVER-THINK-ABOUT-ENGLAND.html

ZAMORA CLAIMS: I NEVER THINK ABOUT ENGLAND

Goals are just numbers on a piece of paper

By Neil Ashton, 01/05/2010

TO Bobby Zamora they are just numbers on a piece of paper, a statistical record of a remarkable season.

For Fabio Capello they are World Cup currency, forcing England's manager to reconsider his options before announcing his provisional 30-man squad.

The Fulham striker is finally on Capello's radar, a potential World Cup wildcard after a stunning season.

Zamora's 19 goals in 47 appearances only tell half the story, deflecting attention from his work-rate and the responsibility of leading Fulham's frontline.

"Let's get one thing straight, if you asked people at the start of the season who would be scoring goals they wouldn't say Bobby Zamora," he admitted.

"I've had a good season, but to me the goals are just numbers on a piece of paper.

"I hold the ball up, I create chances for other people but the difference this season is that the ball's gone in the back of the net."

Recognition does not sit comfortably with the Fulham striker, reluctant to accept that his Europa League exploits have catapulted him into World Cup contention.

He remains uncapped, at a disadvantage when Capello searches for a potential strike partner to the undisputed talent of Wayne Rooney.

The Manchester United striker is the only certainty, guaranteed a place from a pool that also includes Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Darren Bent, Emile Heskey, Carlton Cole and the untried Zamora.

"I never think about England - ever," admitted Zamora, despite the growing clamour for Capello to include him in his preliminary World Cup squad next month.

"Most English strikers in the Premier League have already played for the country and they will all be ahead of me.

"Darren Bent has scored more than 20 goals this season and hasn't had a look in apart from playing against Brazil.

"It's not easy to play Brazil is it, they're half decent. After that there is Heskey, Crouch, Carlton Cole, Gabby Agbonlahor and then there's Rooney. I look at their performances and - with the exception of Rooney - I feel I'm on a par with the rest. That's the way I see it, I've had a decent season and that's it.

"I thought Egypt was a possibility in March, but it didn't happen. I'm not beating myself up about it. Playing for Fulham won't make a difference, he will pick me if he wants to.

"Jimmy Bullard has been in a squad. Ryan Shawcross at Stoke, he looks at every player to see if they have it.

"I've had no communication with England, but why would I? It's not down to me, I'm not going to ask someone to send Fabio Capello a DVD of my goals." He doesn't need to. Capello is well aware of Zamora's impressive run, earmarking the Fulham forward for a possible audition against Mexico next month.

The Achilles in his left ankle is very sore, but he will put an operation to cure the condition on hold if the call comes from Capello.

He will not play against his former club West Ham today, resting his injury as the countdown begins for the Europa Cup final against Atletico Madrid.

The striker has a condition called tendinopathy, a painful inflammation in his Achilles that requires rest and possibly an operation to provide a cure. He still threw himself into last Thursday's humdinger against Hamburg, declaring himself fit to play just an hour before kick-off.

"It's so sore and I've not been training at the same intensity, but I just hope the swelling will ease off before the final.

"I've known about the condition for a while and it has been really sore, but there's time for it to improve before the final."

Those Thursday night Europa League matches have brought Zamora's goalscoring form sharply into focus, altering perception of a player who scored just four times last season.

"Playing in Europe has been a big stage for the team, it has been great for the club," he added.

"It singles us out, it's the only football that's on TV on a Thursday night. It's great for our club to go out there and put in the performances we have.

"To beat the likes of Shakhtar Donetsk, Wolfsburg and Hamburg in the Europa League, as well as Manchester United and Liverpool in the league is something special.

"In the last two years the manager has built a new team and last year was a learning curve, taking time for players to gel. This year we have been more the finished article. The Europa League has affected our Premier League form and our position doesn't do the team justice.

"We have played nearly 60 games this season and it's hard for a club with the size of our squad to keep churning out results."

Zamora's nine Premier League goals still count, a decent return for a striker playing alone up front after Andy Johnson's injury ruled him out for the rest of the season.

He is convinced that little in his game has changed, other than the odd slice of luck in front of goal and a more muscular approach in a Fulham shirt.

"The perception of me outside the club is different, but in terms of performances nothing has changed for me since last season," he added. "When I was 18 or 19 coming up against Sol Campbell or Tony Adams I was bouncing off them, but I have put a lot hours in the gym since then. When I was young I was always the little one in the team, so I knew I needed to get stronger.

"When you come into training and the facilities are there, I put in half an hour of work a day. I've had to alter my game - I've got stronger, I've grown, I've developed. It is a physical game, so quick and strong that I have to be able to compete.

"In terms of football intelligence and touch it has never worried me, I always felt OK with that.

"The only thing that has changed is the number of goals.

"Statistics showed that I created more chances for the team last season, putting seven people through one-on-one.

"Those things never get talked about, but I did it for the team. In terms of holding up the ball, being closer to midfield because that's what I was asked to do, then I had a good season.

"Roy Hodgson has been brilliant, really top drawer. I owe him a lot, even when I wasn't scoring. Goals are all that people look at, but he understood what I give to the team.

"Last year I had a bit of stick from the fans, but the manager stuck with me and that's important."

Zamora was getting it in the neck at the start of the season, accused by a small section of Fulham fans of failing to put in a decent shift.

That is one thing he will not tolerate, always noted for his work ethic at Bristol Rovers, Brighton, Tottenham, West Ham and Fulham.

And he has responded brilliantly, top scorer under Hodgson (bottom left) at Craven Cottage and enjoying the most productive spell of his career in the Premier League.

At first he was bitter, but now it's a by-product of this successful season, forgotten the moment his fortunes with Fulham took an upturn.

Zamora added: "There was a little section, about four of them giving me stick when I was running down the touchline.

"They would make their feelings known, but I hope they have changed their perception of me now. Not many of them were keen on me when I wasn't scoring, but that's their right. It doesn't bother me."

He didn't let it affect him, not the type to take his work home with him when he walks away from the training ground. Zamora loves the game, but leaves the hype to others, switching off in the afternoons when others are submerged in breaking news and talk of the Big Four.

The Fulham striker, 29, added: "I never let criticism affect me when I get home. I switch off away from football, I don't pay any attention to what's going on.

"I don't watch too much football on television, except for a game like Barcelona v Inter. I'm just not a football nut.

"It's 24/7 isn't it, it's my life, doing it day in, day out. To whack the football on the second I get through the door is not me.

"I'd rather sit down at home and watch a DVD, relax and think about something else.

"I'm not getting carried away with what's happened this season, I'm not going around giving it the big one.

"I just like to go home and forget about football. If I don't score goals next season, I know people will talk about me as a flash in the pan blah, blah, blah¿"

For now he has nothing to fear, rising to prominence during a magnificent season for Fulham and their fans. Capello will announce his provisional 30-man squad next month, with the majority of names already chosen.

After the season Zamora's had, he could still be a vital statistic.

FFCcravencottage

White Noise

Good find. hadn't seen that. Cheers.

os5889

Seems to me a much more decent down to earth bloke than his appearance suggests based on those 2 interviews

NogoodBoyo

He's a lovely lad, indeed he is.
Nogood "fan support is everything to players, itis" Boyo