watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Nostalgia

Started by tjl, May 05, 2010, 06:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjl

After watching the Pathe News posted by LB and talking to my brother on the phone last weekend, i was asking him if he remembers walking from end to end alongside the river to stand behind the goal Fulham were attacking, he said you never could do that and after a long debate he said i was getting old said i should stick to beer and leave the wine alone and save more brain cells, after the call and a glass of red i remembered he was 8 years younger than myself. Now i would bet my house on the fact that you could walk end to end, so when was it stopped? and did anyone else used to do it?  or am i going senile. :023:

WhiteJC

I remember being able to walk from end to end in the 60's

cebu

Quote from: WhiteJC on May 05, 2010, 07:25:15 AM
I remember being able to walk from end to end in the 60's
Indeed we did!

Peabody

It is a fact, prior to the Riverside being built, you could walk from end to end on the terracing. So you could be behind whichever goal Fulham where attacking.

CorkedHat

No question about it - I used to do it virtually every match
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

LBNo11

...tjl, before the Riverside Stand was built it was terracing on three sides and there were no barriers between each terrace. I always used to enter via the Putney End, walk around to the riverside where I would stand below the old brick built tea/bovril kiosk in the middle of the 'Thamesbank'. If it rained we would make our way to the Hammersmith End under the cover.

Buy your brother some Ginko Biloba, it's his grey matter, not yours that is addled.. :011:
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

blingo

i remember you could walk all the way around from the H end to P end as Peabody says on continuous terracing. How they ever got 49k in there i will never know.

tjl

Thanks to you all  i new i was right, my brother will get some stick on next weekends phone call, by the way CH it will be sheep racing weekend have you sent the blue things yet? :003:

CorkedHat

Quote from: tjl on May 05, 2010, 06:34:39 PM
Thanks to you all  i new i was right, my brother will get some stick on next weekends phone call, by the way CH it will be sheep racing weekend have you sent the blue things yet? :003:

Yes tjl - you will recognise the Aussie Sheep. They'll be the ones drinking copious amount of beer and the rams will be in one group whilst the ewes are in another. The rams will proceed to make complete arses of themselves by mooning, jumping naked in the swimming pool and farting uncontrollably. The ewes will look on in total disgust, tut tutting and swearing to divorce them at the earliest opportunity.
Yes - you'll know the Aussie sheep alright.

ron

One striking game I remember was Mid 'sixties vs Aston Villa. We went 1-0 down, and it started raining. We then got back to 2-1 and it rained cats and dogs. virtually all of us on the Riverside Terrace made for the covered Hammersmith End, which was shoulder to shoulder while the Riverside was almost deserted. We sang and sang to cheer the boys on.

What? the result? Oh yes, we lost 3-6. Tony Hateley had a field day. Happy memories!

CorkedHat

Quote from: ron on May 05, 2010, 10:08:07 PM
One striking game I remember was Mid 'sixties vs Aston Villa. We went 1-0 down, and it started raining. We then got back to 2-1 and it rained cats and dogs. virtually all of us on the Riverside Terrace made for the covered Hammersmith End, which was shoulder to shoulder while the Riverside was almost deserted. We sang and sang to cheer the boys on.

What? the result? Oh yes, we lost 3-6. Tony Hateley had a field day. Happy memories!

I remember singing this (which we pinched from the Kop)

Have we told you Hately that we loathe you
Or did we miss to tell you somehow
Have we told you Hately that we loathe you
Well Hately, we're telling you now