watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Roy has to learn

Started by Lighthouse, May 05, 2010, 09:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

Shame that we still find it hard to press the poor sides. Stoke were poor and yet they have done the double over us because we tried to play Europa type football. I hope next season we can learn to play with two forwards or at least with one proper one. There was just no point in playing without a proper forward until Duff had to go off in a game like this. So we will finish in the Prem lower than we deserve.

But questions for next seaosn. How do we win away in the Prem and how do we break dull,boring sides down. Especially without playing a reconised forward.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

horse1031

u wonder if Okaka in the whole game would have helped.  Having little nevland on doesnt really help the cause.  Even elm would have helped deal with shawcross.  He is a good defender.

Lighthouse

Quote from: horse1031 on May 05, 2010, 10:10:27 PM
u wonder if Okaka in the whole game would have helped.  Having little nevland on doesnt really help the cause.  Even elm would have helped deal with shawcross.  He is a good defender.

I agree. I know this game could be just used as a fitness workout for the Europa team  but this isn't the first time we have played without a forward. I would prefer to have lost and tried than to have just played pretty football and hoped.

ScalleysDad

Agree on the principal points but such changes won't happen in Roys reign. We've been the same against all the Stoke/Bolton/Hull type sides and it has'nt changed as the season has progressed. God forbid we try to accomodate AJ next season.......

Lighthouse

Quote from: ScalleysDad on May 05, 2010, 10:15:18 PM
Agree on the principal points but such changes won't happen in Roys reign. We've been the same against all the Stoke/Bolton/Hull type sides and it has'nt changed as the season has progressed. God forbid we try to accomodate AJ next season.......

Which is why he has to learn about playing the sides you mentioned. Two draws and the rest defeats. As for AJ? As long as he isn't playing alongside BZ he still may make a come back.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Lighthouse on May 05, 2010, 10:24:39 PM
Quote from: ScalleysDad on May 05, 2010, 10:15:18 PM

Which is why he has to learn about playing the sides you mentioned. Two draws and the rest defeats. As for AJ? As long as he isn't playing alongside BZ he still may make a come back.

Which means we take the money for BZ ?

Lighthouse

No it means that BZ will need a rest sometimes against thuggish sides like today and Okaka and AJ I am sure(?) will do a fine job in BZs odd game out.

Point is we need a forward other than BZ and there is no reason AJ cannot do a BZ and play well for us if the team aDjusts the way they play going forward as they did with BZ. Hopefully

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Lighthouse on May 06, 2010, 12:16:39 AM
No it means that BZ will need a rest sometimes against thuggish sides like today and Okaka and AJ I am sure(?) will do a fine job in BZs odd game out.

Point is we need a forward other than BZ and there is no reason AJ cannot do a BZ and play well for us if the team aDjusts the way they play going forward as they did with BZ. Hopefully

I see AJ as that frustrating piece of jigsaw puzzle that did'nt quite fit because the end was turned up or one of the eongated bits was broken. The puzzle never stayed slotted together properly. If we ever evolve a plan B, Cor D I still cannot see a role for him. Okaka, if he stays and picks up the pace a bit, as option one bulldozer, Elm if we are going long and high and Demps/Gera for the cultured stuff and hopefully the usual option as BZ's support.
We have been linked with so many forwards its daft and who do we end up with, an unknown outside Italy who really has'nt found his feet and Elm who might just fade away. Hopefully we get a "name" in as supporting No.9 otherwise we could be suffering more of the same .......

TonyGilroy

I'd have played the reserves last night but regardless we lack a back up for Zamora. The Carew rumour may have substance with the idea that they'll share the load.

We weren't bad. First half was ours with fluent attacking play with no end product. Second half Stoke pushed up and imposed their way of playing. We could and should have kept it at 0-0 but you can't be too critical of players not wanting too physical a battle.

I've no doubt that strengthening the away performances will be high on Roy's agenda for next season. I just hope that means OUR away performances.