News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

So no European football for us next season, how do think it will effect......

Started by Huge, May 13, 2010, 09:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huge

the transfer window? or do think that as we have the manager of the season at the helm it wont effect it that much.
The Dude abides

TonyGilroy

My gut feeling is that if Roy stays so will the squad.

In that case what do we need? I reckon support for Zamora and Murphy so that the load can be shared and if the rumours about Carew and Scharner are true then that might already be sorted.

There's young talent coming through and I see no reason why we can't have another good season.

I think MAF's reaction will be to give Roy whatever he feels he needs but if Roy goes then I can't see his methods being taken over effectively by a successor. It'll be a rebuild and it won't be better.

Lighthouse

We will lose a few players because the squad is al ageing one and players will see it is best to move on. Less games mean only replacing players and buying a forward or two. Roy will stay but frankly how is he going to top the last few seasons. Well he simply isn't. So a top 4 or England come calling than he would do well to go. But I doubt and hope they don't

This feels like an end or at least a small comma in this part of our history. Next seaosn will be massive. How will we react to the last few years? As for Europe and not being in it? I am not sure it changes any plans Roy had for the club. Other than giving them a few more days to rest.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Sir Woy has just been on SSN saying that he is staying even though he can't stop people talking about his future,a bit of good news there :sir_roy:

MGBadrock

RidgeRider

Love your attitude Badrock. A champions league spot would be fantastic, but I think Roy, with the right additions and deletions could move us into the 5-7th spot and get us back into Europa. When we are playing well, we can play with any of the teams in the Prem except Chelsea so he will reshape the squad a little and if could waive my magic wand it would be:

Legit striker to help Bobby
Attacking mid to replace Murphy
A holding mid to replace Etuhu or at least push him
Cover at CB

We really don't need anything else with only Prem games to worry about.

ImperialWhite

A few away wins would be lovely. 2-3 doubles would be an achievable aim I think.

tingtawng

there is a small problem of a scarcity of away goals or have you forgotten ,so there is a need for some replacements ,thrashed by Liverpool
IN SVEN VE TVUST

ImperialWhite

I hadn't forgotten, no, but it seems that if we fly half way across Europe we can often be trusted to get a goal or two, why not in England?

alfie

Don't forget we have a brand new player called err  oh yes Andy Johnson coming in, you never know he might surprise us just like BZ did.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

FFCBadger

It will no doubt be difficult to overhaul the achievements of the last two seasons, but providing of course that Woy stays with the club (which appears likely), and he's given a sizeable transfer kitty in order to refresh the current playing squad - meaning 4 or 5 quality additions to the team, then I believe that the club should/could be looking at climbing into the higher echelons of the league table, top 8 perhaps?, however, a top 10 finish would also suffice (who thought I'd be saying this two seasons ago?). I also wouldn't mind a run in one (or both) of the domestic cup competitions.

It's already been mentioned, however, I also believe that there's a number of promising youngsters looking to push on into the first-team such as Foderingham, Briggs, Marsh-Brown, Saunders, Buchtmann, and Trotta - all of which will be aiming to make a significant impression come next season. Also, a couple of players have been sent out on loan abroad with the premise of gaining enough first-team experience to become viable options for the FFC first-team in the near future, these being Milsom, Brown and Hoesen.

Overall, It would be ideal if we were able too maintain the core of this years playing squad over the summer, whilst obviously adding to it in terms of quality replacements for 'deadwood' or fringe-players who may be surplus to requirements. This would leave us with an adaptable and compact playing squad with the correct blend of youth/experience. Finally, it is essential that we improve our abysmal PL away record, it is a cause for concern and has been for a number of seasons.

HatterDon

what I'd like to see from us next season is a serious all-out attack on both the Carling Cup and FA Cup, as well as a more adventurous attitude away from home. Unfortunately, for this to happen, we're going to need to find a younger version of both Murphy and Duff. Going for it on the road calls for quickness in covering back, and I think Duff's legs must be two inches shorter each after all the brilliant defensive cover he's supplied.

Davies could cover the right mid well, and he and Dempsey and Gera could support a fully fit Zamora to the terror of our opponents. Konchesky needs to be kept [yes, RidgeRider,that's me that said that]. At the pub yesterday, Ag was saying that he never fully appreciated The Alien's complete game until he came back from injury. I agree with him.

I'd like us to keep Okaka, Dikcagoi [at least until I learn to spell his name], Etuhu, and Greening, but I think we can do without Shorey, Kelly, Riise, and Elm. I'd like to see Brown feature some next season, and I'd like to see Stockdale have another loan out to a CCC side.

Next season should see Murphy rested quite a bit more often. Half of me wants to see Dempsey take his role, but half of me says that if that happens, we'll lose his quick runs into the box. The perfect replacement for him, IMHO is Michael Bradley of Moenchengladbach. Unfortunately, if he has the World Cup he is capable of, we won't be able to afford him.

As always, I trust Roy to come up with two or three fellas I've never heard of -- another Hangeland, Paintsil, and Nevland will do nicely, thank you.

If Roy can get the squad he wants, I think we're capable of a more comfortable top half finish with a bit of excitement in the cups. Let's hope for a good start. We got a jump on pretty much the entire Prem last season, since our guys had played several competitive matches prior to opening day.

We'll see. And yes, Julian, I still believe.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Chopper

We'll be able to concentrate on the domestic front next season.

I'm looking for a League and Cup double ...
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

PaulUMD

Tom

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on May 13, 2010, 11:09:49 AM
Sir Woy has just been on SSN saying that he is staying even though he can't stop people talking about his future,a bit of good news there :sir_roy:
+1 Hell yeah that is great news!!!  :54:
Fulham for life!

MGBadrock

I agree with the Hatter in that I'd love to see an all in crack at the carling and FA cup....particularly the FA cup.  a trip to wembley would be the dream!

a decent run in the cup and qualification into europe are definitely on the cards if we can maintain the squad we have and add a bit more depth.

AlFayedsChequebook

I think at this point it is all about keeping Roy and the nucleus of the squad together. I mentioned earlier in the season that if we can get rid of some deadwood and move our older players into roles as backups with younger replacements coming in then we will have an excellent squad, the perfect blend of experience and youth.

Bringing in a few youth players is crucial for the overall development of the club, we need to show prospective youngsters that they will get more of a crack at a team like Fulham than a Liverpool, Chelsea or Utd.

I think a top 10 finish is a realistic target for next season if we keep the nucleus and strengthen, and most importantly if Roy stays. If Roy leaves then we should try to get the best manager going (Martin Jol, Alan Curbishly) as we have seen how important a good manager is for a small team with limited resources.

I guess it all hinges on what happens this summer...