watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Books again

Started by Peabody, January 07, 2014, 08:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

I have just started to read Sanctus by Simon toyne, so far so good but has anyone else read it.

Fernhurst

Sorry Mr P not read that one.

Some kindly soul ( who frankly does not know me too well) bought me "The Gaffer " by Neil Warnock for Christmas.
Didn't take four pages before it was cast aside as pure shite.
Do recommend Alan Johnston's ( ex postie and cabinet minister in Blairs government) autobiography "This Boy"
No silver spoons in his childhood, very little food as it happens.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

BestOfBrede

I've read Sanctus and it's good.
Bit strange, which I won't explain as it will ruin it.
I've got the second book 'The Key' ready for my next holiday.

While on the subject - I'm thinking about getting the 'Emporer' series (5 books) by Conn Iggulden.
It's apparently 'an internationally acclaimed historical five-novel series by British author Conn Iggulden about the life of Roman statesman and general Gaius Julius Caesar'

Anyone read them and if so are they any good, please?

I'm into stuff about Rome - like Ben Kane etc   

FFC1987

Next venture is 'Dune' anyone read it?

Chopper

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 08, 2014, 09:17:46 AM

I read Dune back in my teens. It's a big old book, the scope is huge covering many years and many characters but I remember really enjoying it.
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

FFC1987

Quote from: Chopper on January 08, 2014, 11:44:25 AM

I read Dune back in my teens. It's a big old book, the scope is huge covering many years and many characters but I remember really enjoying it.

Cool. Cheers. Im embarressing finishing the Harry Potter series after promising a friend I would read them to end an age old argument we have!

After them I think Im doing the Stephen King series using this blog/advice of another:

http://honkmahfah.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/dark-tower-suggested-reading-order-for.html

Apparently its the best way to really acknowledge everything hes put into all of his books.

The Equalizer

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 08, 2014, 11:55:18 AM

Cool. Cheers. Im embarressing finishing the Harry Potter series after promising a friend I would read them to end an age old argument we have!

After them I think Im doing the Stephen King series using this blog/advice of another:

http://honkmahfah.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/dark-tower-suggested-reading-order-for.html

Apparently its the best way to really acknowledge everything hes put into all of his books.

Dune is a tough read the first time around as you need to spend a lot of time flicking through to the glossary to understand what everything means. I read it the first time when I was about 14, I've read it twice more since then and can safely say that it is an excellent book.

That reading selection for The Dark Tower is quite accurate actually, although I'd be tempted to just avoid Rose Madder and Bag of Bones as they're both crap. The amount of references in the Dark Tower series to the wider King universe is quite staggering, loads of characters popping up left, right and centre throughout. Fortunately, I read it about 5 years ago, having previously read pretty much every other Stephen King book.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

FFC1987

Quote from: The Equalizer on January 08, 2014, 12:57:33 PM

Dune is a tough read the first time around as you need to spend a lot of time flicking through to the glossary to understand what everything means. I read it the first time when I was about 14, I've read it twice more since then and can safely say that it is an excellent book.

That reading selection for The Dark Tower is quite accurate actually, although I'd be tempted to just avoid Rose Madder and Bag of Bones as they're both crap. The amount of references in the Dark Tower series to the wider King universe is quite staggering, loads of characters popping up left, right and centre throughout. Fortunately, I read it about 5 years ago, having previously read pretty much every other Stephen King book.

Looking forward to it! My friend is enduring 'The Stand' at the moment but he's really not enjoying it, long haul if thats the case!!!

Dune is the one im unsure about but it seems highly regarded. Haven't tried my hand at Sci Fi before so thought it was time I gave it some time.

In case anyone does an order of books like me (Classic, Fantasy, Sci Fi or anything I fancy/History/educational) my next history novel is 1759: The Year Britain become master of the world.

The Equalizer

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 08, 2014, 01:15:45 PM

Looking forward to it! My friend is enduring 'The Stand' at the moment but he's really not enjoying it, long haul if thats the case!!!

Dune is the one im unsure about but it seems highly regarded. Haven't tried my hand at Sci Fi before so thought it was time I gave it some time.

In case anyone does an order of books like me (Classic, Fantasy, Sci Fi or anything I fancy/History/educational) my next history novel is 1759: The Year Britain become master of the world.

Both The Stand and IT are behemoths of books, but both of them are very well worth putting the effort in. I'd say that they are both in his top 3 greatest books.

Dune is also tough work, getting used to terms like "Kwizatz Hadderach", "Muad'dib" and "Bene Gesserit". It's also highly political. Still it is a stunning book to read.
If this is your first foray into the world of Sci-Fi (and a world that I've not really explored much other than in film), then I'd recommend a series called 'The Wool Trilogy' by Hugh Howey. Excellent books.

If you fancy a bit of fantasy, and trying something other than Game of Thrones (which is also excellent), then I'd recommend two series of books: 1, The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb (starting with The Assassin's Apprentice) and 2, The Kingkiller Chronicals by Patrick Rothfuss. Seriously excellent reading.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Chopper

You've read Dune 3 times!!! Flippin' heck Eq - you need to do me a Dune related top five.

I've read a lot of King's regular horror books but never got round to The Dark Tower series. I might work on that sometime, though I also wanted to try the Thomas Covenant Chronicles by Stephen Donaldson. Not sure I could cope with these behemoth book titles until the kids are a bit older though.

The Equalizer

Quote from: Chopper on January 08, 2014, 02:19:09 PM

You've read Dune 3 times!!! Flippin' heck Eq - you need to do me a Dune related top five.

I've read a lot of King's regular horror books but never got round to The Dark Tower series. I might work on that sometime, though I also wanted to try the Thomas Covenant Chronicles by Stephen Donaldson. Not sure I could cope with these behemoth book titles until the kids are a bit older though.

The thing is, of the 5 original Frank Herbert books, I only read the first two. All the others were shite. I might do you a Stephen King one when I have a think about it. Maybe a top 5 Stephen King characters.

Lighthouse

Quote from: Chopper on January 08, 2014, 02:19:09 PM

The Thomas Covenant books are superb. Especially the first six books, the first and second chronicles. Also the Gap Series by the same author, which is less fantasy and more Sci Fi. Well worth the effort.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

WhiteJC

Quote from: BestOfBrede on January 08, 2014, 08:27:12 AM

While on the subject - I'm thinking about getting the 'Emporer' series (5 books) by Conn Iggulden.
It's apparently 'an internationally acclaimed historical five-novel series by British author Conn Iggulden about the life of Roman statesman and general Gaius Julius Caesar'

I've read the Conn Iggulden books, very good, also he wrote a number of books, 3 I think, on Ghenghis Khan also very good

FFCJag

Quote from: WhiteJC on January 08, 2014, 04:38:23 PM

I've read the Conn Iggulden books, very good, also he wrote a number of books, 3 I think, on Ghenghis Khan also very good

I concur. Iggulden tells an entertaining story and I liked the Khan series better than the Emperor series (but the Emperor series was good also).

NogoodBoyo

I thoroughly enjoyed JK Rowling's first adult book, "The Casual Vacancy."  As an ex-pat, I found the dissection of Middle England entrancingly vicious.
Nogood "no Pottery going on there, isit" Boyo

BestOfBrede

Quote from: FFCJag on January 08, 2014, 04:46:42 PM
Quote from: WhiteJC on January 08, 2014, 04:38:23 PM

I concur. Iggulden tells an entertaining story and I liked the Khan series better than the Emperor series (but the Emperor series was good also).
Thanks WhiteJC & FFC Jag - I've I ordered the series.

Chopper

Quote from: The Equalizer on January 08, 2014, 02:31:43 PM

The thing is, of the 5 original Frank Herbert books, I only read the first two. All the others were shite. I might do you a Stephen King one when I have a think about it. Maybe a top 5 Stephen King characters.

That would be most appreciated  :54:

Chopper

Quote from: Lighthouse on January 08, 2014, 02:35:39 PM

The Thomas Covenant books are superb. Especially the first six books, the first and second chronicles. Also the Gap Series by the same author, which is less fantasy and more Sci Fi. Well worth the effort.

Cheers Lighthouse, I'll definitely take the plunge sometime.

The Equalizer

Quote from: Chopper on January 10, 2014, 01:11:36 PM

I've just started reading it based on Beamer's recommendation.

The Equalizer

Quote from: Chopper on January 10, 2014, 01:11:36 PM

I've just read the first 3 Thomas Covenant chronicles based upon Beambonce's recommendation, and am about halfway through the first book of the second series.

Excellent reading I have to say. The guy has clearly taken a lot of inspiration from Lord of The Rings and has created a wonderful world full of interesting characters and a real anti-hero.

Donaldson must have also swallowed a Thesaurus as you're almost guaranteed to read a word you've never heard of on every single page!