more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bedford Jezzard...help!

Started by FulhamRob, May 15, 2010, 02:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamRob

Hi all
My Dad's first game at the Cottage happened to be the last ever appearance of Bedford Jezzard. Can anyone possibly tell me when it was and who against? I'm trying to track down a match programme for him as a present.
Thanks in advance! Rob

ron

Here's something from his obit which may narrow your search......

"Come the summer of 1956 he remained in the (England) selectors' thoughts, being taken on a Football Association tour of South Africa, but that ended in footballing calamity when he suffered a severe ankle injury, after which he was never to play again".

..that would make it the last home game of season 55/56?

LBNo11

...2nd May 1956, Fulham beat Nottingham Forest 4 - 3. Fulham's goalscorers were Arthur 'Pablo' Stevens, Roy Dwight (cousin to Elton John), Beddy Jezzard and Tosh Chamberlain. Your Dad was one of 9,975 fans attending the old 2nd division finale in which we finished in 9th place.

Here is the link to buy it for £10.00:-

http://www.fulhamprogrammes.co.uk/view_prog.php?progID=6586
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

ron

A sign of the times there LB. Another 7-ish years before we had the luxury of floodlights, so a 6.30 kickoff was a necessity. Seeing as most men worked until 5.30 in those days...just time for a quick whistle-wetter between work and the game !

Oakeshott

I wonder if someone could help me with a similar query. The very first Fulham match I attended as a boy was, assuming my memory isn't totally shot, (a) on Saturday 5 November and (b) against Bristol Rovers (or, just possibly, Bristol City). Any chance someone knows the year, please - I would think it was between about 1957 and 1962?

Peabody

We played Bristol Rovers on 5/11/1955 at home and lost 3-5. Jezzard 2 and Stevens were our scorers and the crowd was 31,500. Hope that helps

Oakeshott

Peabody

Thank you. It was a couple of years earlier than I'd expected.

I recall we lost, and it was while before I was taken again.

Lighthouse

The team against Forest was HEWKINS,STAPLETON,LAWLER,SMITH,GREENWOOD,LOWE,STEVENS
DWIGHT,JEZZARD,HAYNES,CHAMBERLAIN

We finished 9th

The team against Bristol Rovers on 5th/11/55  BLACK,CHENHALL,LAWLER,HILL,GREENWOOD,LOWE,
STEVENS,ROBSON,JEZZARD,HAYNES,MITTEN
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

CorkedHat

I remember going to the last match in which Jezzard played for us, although at the time of course we didn't know it was going to be his last match.
Maybe LB can help me here but did we ever have a testimonial match for him - if so I missed it. Or did we simply make him Manager and then dud him in the process?
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

CorkedHat

Quote from: Lighthouse on May 16, 2010, 12:56:56 AM
The team against Forest was HEWKINS,STAPLETON,LAWLER,SMITH,GREENWOOD,LOWE,STEVENS
DWIGHT,JEZZARD,HAYNES,CHAMBERLAIN

We finished 9th

The team against Bristol Rovers on 5th/11/55  BLACK,CHENHALL,LAWLER,HILL,GREENWOOD,LOWE,
STEVENS,ROBSON,JEZZARD,HAYNES,MITTEN

Looking at those teams it is amazing how you forget some players whilst others are etched in your memory. I had forgotten that Ron Greenwood played for us although on seeing his name I can now recall his receding hairline, round face and the only man who could have been beaten in a sprint by Hattie Jacques.
When you think about it we sure had some greyhounds  :035: in that defence. Chenhall, Stapleton, Lowe and Lawler who could run faster backwards than he could forwards. The fastest player amongst that lot and would have held his own in today's fast pace game was Beddy Jezzard himself.
Sir Johnny wasn't slow either, but as they used to say, he made the ball do the work.
Oh Happy Days  :clap_hands:

Peabody

Yeah CH but do you remember Bill Pavitt?

CorkedHat

Vague memories of Bill Pavitt, Mr P. He was going as I arrived, which when I think about it has often been the case with me.
Was he not what the newspapers would describe as a rugged defender? I also seem to remember that he went on to play for someone like Southend. This did not upset me as much as when Len Quested went to Huddersfield  :006:

ron

Quoting Corked Hat...

"Looking at those teams it is amazing how you forget some players whilst others are etched in your memory. I had forgotten that Ron Greenwood played for us although on seeing his name I can now recall his receding hairline, round face and the only man who could have been beaten in a sprint by Hattie Jacques.
When you think about it we sure had some greyhounds  :035: in that defence. Chenhall, Stapleton, Lowe and Lawler who could run faster backwards than he could forwards. The fastest player amongst that lot and would have held his own in today's fast pace game was Beddy Jezzard himself.
Sir Johnny wasn't slow either, but as they used to say, he made the ball do the work.
Oh Happy Days  :clap_hands:
[/quote]

As well as being quick, Beddy was tough as well. A workmate of mine back in the 'seventies had played football as a centre-half in the Army, and recalled a representative match playing against Jezzard. He remembered it as being "like jumping into a brick wall for ninety minutes"

LBNo11

Corked Hat asked "Maybe LB can help me here but did we ever have a testimonial match for him - if so I missed it. Or did we simply make him Manager and then dud him in the process?"

...sadly CH, Beddy Jezzard was never granted a testimonial by Fulham FC, as you know he was made manager after sustaining his career ending injury, but he resigned when the Fulham board sold Alan Mullery to spurs without consulting him; this was probably why the club never acknowledged his dedication as another one club man...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Logicalman

Quote from: Oakeshott on May 15, 2010, 11:20:04 PM
I wonder if someone could help me with a similar query. The very first Fulham match I attended as a boy was, assuming my memory isn't totally shot, (a) on Saturday 5 November and (b) against Bristol Rovers (or, just possibly, Bristol City). Any chance someone knows the year, please - I would think it was between about 1957 and 1962?

Buy it here (12 quid)

CorkedHat

I think at that time Bristol Rovers had a centre forward called Geoff Bradford and from memory he had a field day against us. Can someone please tell me if a Geoff Bradford lined up for Bristol Rovers in that game.

Peabody

I think he did CH. I cant remember whether Geoff made an England call up, I am sure he did. Also Rovers had Geoff Bradford and City had John Atyeo both very good players.

CorkedHat

I found this on the Net Mr P.

The highlight of his career came on 2 October 1955 when he made his first and only appearance for England. He lined up alongside such greats as Billy Wright, Jackie Milburn, Nat Lofthouse and Tom Finney in a friendly match against Denmark in Copenhagen and scored the fifth goal in a 5–1 victory. The other goals were scored by Lofthouse (2) and Don Revie (2), with Knud Lundberg scoring Denmark's only goal.[

Geoff Bradford is the most successful player in the history of Bristol Rovers, and still holds the club records for most goals scored in a season (33) and most career league goals (242). Over the course of his 15-year career with Rovers he played a total of 626 competitive matches, including 14 representative matches, 10 Western League games and 73 reserve team games, scoring a total of 355 goals, which included 24 hat-tricks and goals in 15 consecutive seasons. He also played in every outfield position for the club,[] and remains the only player to represent England while on the books of Bristol Rovers.

He continued to live in Bristol for the rest of his life, working as a petrol tanker driver after his retirement from the game in 1964.[]

finnster01

Quote from: CorkedHat on May 16, 2010, 02:33:49 PM

He continued to live in Bristol for the rest of his life, working as a petrol tanker driver after his retirement from the game in 1964.[]

How times and the game has changed, Mr CorkedHat. Can you imagine Bobby Zamora working as a petrol tanker driver when he retires? In fact, that thought would actually scare the crap out of me  :003:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Peabody

Thinking back to those days and the loyalty shown to their clubs by very good players. You only have to think of Geoff Bradford and John Atyeo, both one club men. Of course our own JH plus Arthur Stevens, Beddy Jezzard. Who remembers Alec Jeffrey, played for Doncaster, did'nt want to leave, unfortunately had a very promising career cut short due to injury. My point is why did they have much more loyalty back then compared to today?