News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Does anyone collect match day programmes?

Started by Jimpav, May 21, 2010, 02:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimpav

If so how long have you been collecting them for and how big is your collection?

The Doctor

I used to - got into the habit from my first season going to the Cottage (1986/87).  The collection is patchy, but covers all seasons up to (I think) 2002/03.  After that I gradually gave up as most of the programme content finds its way onto the website these days, so the programme isn't as essential as it once was for keeping up to date with all the goings-on at the club.

I barely look at them these days, but wouldn't dream of getting rid of them

LBNo11

...I used to collect them avidly from 1967 to 1983, got married, no room to store them, and I didn't have the heart to dump/destroy them, so I contacted the supporters club and a guy came round (he was most impressed as I kept them in paper and plastic wallets) and asked me how much I wanted for them - I gave them to him for nothing as I was happy that Fulham fans would get them.

Bear in mind that this was before e-bay and Fulham were being torn apart by Clay and on the slide, and I didn't know where to sell them. I kept a few that had a particular meaning to me - or were significant results, and I found one or two scattered around after, but I wish I had kept them to sell on - hey-ho!

Nowadays they are over-produced and overpriced glossy advertising brochures so I rarely buy them, I bought two last season, one for a Villa mate and the Hamburg semi...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

CorkedHat

When I came to Australia I gave most of my programs to an uncle who collected them.
I must have missed some, however, because I have some Fulham home and away from the 1960s. They are obviously not as pristine as LB's were but then they have moved around with me from London to Kent to Hertfordshire back to London to Sydney to Melbourne back to Sydney to Brisbane to Tasmania back to Brisbane and to Rupanyup.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

epsomraver

All home and away in proper folders from 1967 to about two years ago when they, as LB said became overpriced and tacky. I am considering getting rid of them as storage is becoming an issue though.

os5889

Quote from: LBNo11 on May 21, 2010, 02:27:21 PM
...I used to collect them avidly from 1967 to 1983, got married, no room to store them, and I didn't have the heart to dump/destroy them, so I contacted the supporters club and a guy came round (he was most impressed as I kept them in paper and plastic wallets) and asked me how much I wanted for them - I gave them to him for nothing as I was happy that Fulham fans would get them.

Bear in mind that this was before e-bay and Fulham were being torn apart by Clay and on the slide, and I didn't know where to sell them. I kept a few that had a particular meaning to me - or were significant results, and I found one or two scattered around after, but I wish I had kept them to sell on - hey-ho!

Nowadays they are over-produced and overpriced glossy advertising brochures so I rarely buy them, I bought two last season, one for a Villa mate and the Hamburg semi...

That Hamburg semi was one hell of a programme except the stat for us having 12 europa red cards... If you didnt already the final one was a top read too, I think the waffle is selling it

HatterDon

There was a time when I bought two match programs -- one to save and read later, and one to twist into a sweaty ink-stained mess because EVERY MATCH WAS CRITICAL. Over the years I had quite a collection of them, from several grounds all over England, along with a whole bunch of football-related publications printed in England. For several years, the latter was my default birthday, Christmas gift. But then my almost ex-Farley Hill Luton bride spent the better part of an afternoon and evening destroying them all.

I like to refer to these days, along with all other days that occurred before I married HatterMom as "before life had meaning."
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Burt

Got tons of the buggers... Collected them from '74 on, but stopped doing so a few years back when I decided the cost outweighed the content, and I could read it all on line anyhow.

They take up a lot of space... I can't bring myself around to getting rid of them. My 12 year old son likes reading back-issues, to see how crap we used to be, and also because in the Fulham v. Preston program from way back when there is a picture of a goal being scored with a very bored looking me just to the right of the post.

Lighthouse

I used to buy them and deface them by putting the teams in. Have a shelf full but like many here am having to sell them or give them away. Like my record collection. Need space. Books will have to go as well. Then I will have lots of empty shelves to... um ... fill em up again with Books and DVDs and....

Since 1960s
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

ealex40

I had quite a collection until I sold them a few years ago.

I had every home match program from 2000-2001 back to 1939, [including all the wartime editions], most of the 1930's, a couple of dozen from the 1920's a few from before the first world war and the team page from the very first league game in 1907, versus Hull City. I also collected away programmes and had most from post-war matches and a couple of dozen pre-war aways.

I started collecting in the late 1940's and before ebay, used to answer ad's in  a magazine called Soccer Star.

It was sad getting rid of them but at least I made a photocopy of the home editions and these are contained in 3-ring binders.

My prized items were an almost mint copy of the semi-final program versus Sheffield United, played in Wolverhampton in 1936 and a bound copy of 1933-34 first team and reserve programmes.

Like they say, "you can't take them with you!" 

Scrumpy

Yep, every home match since 1982, plus many aways.

Am considering stopping though because, like others, I'm finding them a bit over-priced and bulky nowadays. Having looked on the net, it seems that those from our really rubbish seasons are worth quite a bit now. Presumably because only a few hundred were ever sold. Oh, and pre-season friendlies are worth a bit too.

Ealex40 - that collection of yours  must have been worth a few bob!
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Logicalman

I had a bunch from when I started in the 60's through to the 80's originally, then they got a little sparse, and since emigrating in the 90's, almost bugger all. A number got 'lost' when in storage in the UK for 9 years prior to my getting the stuff shipped over, but I am now restoring the collection, and beg and steal from anyone who wants to tip them my way (more precious ones are replaced with hard cold cash), so thanks to those that have contributed, and those that might do so  :sir_roy: .

The collection, along with much other Fulham memorabilia, and all the books I can find, and videos/dvds of most of their matches from 2001 onwards, is stored and displayed in my office at home, along with the different jerseys from seasons past.

I know what you mean ealex, I guess once I kick the bucket, Suzie will find a suitable 'Fulham' home for the whole caboodle, and let another of the faithful enjoy it all.

os5889

I've recently added a few to the collection, throught the ebay link on this site, damn you ed/scott for causing my impulse buys. Anything interesting about them?

Fulham V Burnley 1947
Fulham V Santos (Pele), Burnley, Pompey, QPR, Benfica (Riverside opening) 1972/73

Lighthouse

Quote from: os5889 on May 23, 2010, 12:06:41 PM
I've recently added a few to the collection, throught the ebay link on this site, damn you ed/scott for causing my impulse buys. Anything interesting about them?

Fulham V Burnley 1947
Fulham V Santos (Pele), Burnley, Pompey, QPR, Benfica (Riverside opening) 1972/73

The Burnley 1947 game was the last one Fulham won that season and Burnley were promoted
Burnley were also promoted in 72/73 1-1 was the result against us. Pompey we drew 0-0 and QPR we lost 2-0. So only the 1-0 47 game is a winner. The Pompey game also saw Les Barrett NOT PLAY thus ending a RECORD RUN 0F 168 CONSEC games. Dont tell LB.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

os5889

Quote from: Lighthouse on May 23, 2010, 12:26:30 PM
Quote from: os5889 on May 23, 2010, 12:06:41 PM

Fulham V Burnley 1947

The Burnley 1947 game was the last one Fulham won that season and Burnley were promoted
Burnley were also promoted in 72/73 1-1 was the result against us. Pompey we drew 0-0 and QPR we lost 2-0. So only the 1-0 47 game is a winner. The Pompey game also saw Les Barrett NOT PLAY thus ending a RECORD RUN 0F 168 CONSEC games. Dont tell LB.

Cheers for that Mr Lighthouse, always nice to know theres some significance to at least some of me books, they'll be addded to the box

jarv

How much can you get for programmes? I have a bunch, back to 1960. Also, I have some 1938/39 Arsenal and Charlton programmes. Anyone know a site/person I can contact to see what they are worth. Unfortunately, most of the programmes have the scores (and sometimes scorers) written on the front.

Also, Wembley. Back to 1961. v. Scotland 9-3 and Spain 4-2. 1975 (west Ham) OF COURSE but will not part with that one!

LBNo11

...for all of you looking to sell your collections - or buy this is a Fulham dedicated site:-

http://www.fulhamprogrammes.co.uk/

If you use the top left section for teams, season, home/away then you can see how much the programmes are to BUY, but you can contact the site for a quote on purchasing prices - but please tell them that Friends Of Fulham referred you - thanks...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC