News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Cardiff City won't allow the national anthem to be played at the play-offs...

Started by LBNo11, May 21, 2010, 10:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

....if they beat Blackpool at Wembley tomorrow and get into the premiership, and in the unlikely event that they get a European slot, they could actually represent England as they would be in the English premiership!

So is it right that they can demand the national anthem not be played at Wembley..?
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

os5889

I think Cardiff have the right to demand that

I dont sing God save the queen and wouldnt unless it were a Great British team involved, I do applaud all anthems however.

It is the English premier League after all, its all down to the historical status of Swans and the 'diff being old school clubs in the football league and the formations of national FA's being all quango like since since that caused this muddle.
Its also clever as it will avoid the England V Wales argument tomorrow

White Noise

Thats it. Lets invade. And lets do it properly this time. Anglesey an all. :028: :026: :007:

os5889

Quote from: White Noise on May 21, 2010, 10:22:01 PM
Thats it. Lets invade. And lets do it properly this time. Anglesey an all. :028: :026: :007:

I'm sending you a bill for wasted Budweiser I just laughed over myself

LRCN

Quote from: White Noise on May 21, 2010, 10:22:01 PM

hahaha!

FatFreddysCat

As if there wasn't enough reasons to hate Cardiff. Come on Blackpool.

LBNo11

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

finnster01

Only problem is that all the Whales on the beach will be shouting for Cardiff...  :030:

Taxi for the Finnster... :doh:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

ImperialWhite

It does annoy me. If the good Welsh teams (i.e. Cardiff/Swansea/Newport/Wrexham) stayed in their own league Wales would have a decent league. As it is, it's laughable. Even worse than the SPL (and let thet be a lesson to the SFA, should they allow the Old Firm to go down south).

Lighthouse

I am no fan of the Anthem being played anyway. However it is and Cardiff have no right to say no to it. Strange how they and the big Sottish teams want to be a part of the English League and take the money but want to be seen as independent. I love Britain but if Scotland and Wales want to be truly independent, then I truly want England to be as well.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

os5889

As a welshman my problem isnt that the british anthem is being played, my problem is that the english anthem just so happens to be the same song  :011:  :015:

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

os5889

I'll be cheering on Cardiff, only for the reason its where I'm living next year and would be a great away day on my doorstep. That said win or draw I have a newfound respect for Ian Holloway, what a job he has done with a team which surely at the start of the season was only ever going to be relegation battlers!

Top top job

CorkedHat

The problem I have is that England doesn't have a national anthem. At the Commonwealth Games they play "Land of Hope and Glory" but at most sporting events England has to endure "God Save the Queen" which is British. Of course you can understand why the Scots loathe "God Save the Queen" because in the bowels of the verses are some rather provocative references to wanting to beat the holy poop out of anyone wearing a kilt.
But if an English team - in this case Blackpool - are participating in a match then it doesn't matter whether it's Cardiff or Charleroi they have every right to have their national anthem played even if it is "God Save the Queen".
Notwithstanding all that and with every respect to my Welsh relations (my mother was Welsh) I fervently want Blackpool to win.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

At England (the team with all the good South African and Irish players) cricket matches they play Jerusalem...

Steve_orino

In the game here in the States if a Canadian team is involved we always play the Canadian Anthem...althought strange at first, it a nice gesture.

Heck, when the Toronto basketball team comes to town, the players are all Yanks but we still play the Canadian Anthem just out of respect for it being a Canadian-based team.

I'm a Yank, guess I don't realize how strained the relationship's are over there.... :032:
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Lighthouse

The problem is we have been Great Britain with out internal fights and massacres. Now when the whole World realises there is strength and  security in coming together, Scotland and Wales want to be independent. But with financial support from London. Due to the total mishandling of this politically, we are a nation divided. if a Scotland or Welsh team are playing one tends to support them. If however an English team play then the Scots and the Welsh generally will support the opponents. It will end up a mess. All that it has achieved is making the English general public  adopt the same chip on the shoulder, Scotland and Wales have.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: Steve_orino on May 22, 2010, 02:44:49 PM
In the game here in the States if a Canadian team is involved we always play the Canadian Anthem...althought strange at first, it a nice gesture.

Heck, when the Toronto basketball team comes to town, the players are all Yanks but we still play the Canadian Anthem just out of respect for it being a Canadian-based team.

I'm a Yank, guess I don't realize how strained the relationship's are over there.... :032:
]
There is only strain if you Scottish or Welsh I have never felt hatred and nastyness like it,with everybody else there is a large dose of humour and respect but not with that lot,and when I've been working in Deep North Wales and have been spat at in the street I'm supposed to turn the other cheek?I will always offer the hand of friendship but if you try and take a bite out of it don't expect it to be offered again :031:
If they want to go let them,but then they don't get a penny off us,you can't have it both ways!

flynny

There are only a handfull of indigenous english players so i dont know why they bother anymore look at our own team how many are English 2.

ImperialWhite

David Stockdale
      x          x            x           Konch

x         Murphy     x               x

AJ                Zamora

5 first team players are English - and you could complete an all English 11 if you dipped into the reserves.