News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Cardiff City won't allow the national anthem to be played at the play-offs...

Started by LBNo11, May 21, 2010, 10:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImperialWhite

p.s. Not trying to jump down your throat or anything, it's just that I think the prem is more English than it's given credit for.

flynny

Yes i know your right imperial white it would have ruined my point realy.

os5889

Quote from: flynny on May 22, 2010, 05:37:00 PM
I thought it was quite clear personally.

I'll be honest it reads like gibberish and I have no idea where you are from or the real point of the post, it reads like an anti taff (welsh), scot (skirt wearing) and english (labour party led by Tony Blair-an englishman) rant.

os5889

In addition, I am welsh and do not hate England. I just feel that God Save The Queen is not my anthem

flynny

Tony blair born Edinburgh educated edinburgh i call that scottish i did go on a rant yes its so easy on a computer i must think things through more clearly.I have family in abertillary wales.And paternal grandmother from mountain ash. i just commented on the the experiences i have had, I like wales as a place and had many good times there.Nothing personal.Is it wrong to call someone welsh taff bit sensitive if you take it wrong way.

alfie

well my opinion for what it's worth. If it is an England team playing then we should not play the National Anthem, we should play either Land of Hope and Glory,  or  Jerusalem.

If it is an all British affair then the National Anthem is correct.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

epsomraver

The real problem is that the English race has lost it's  identity,  you cannot be English, try putting that down on a travel visa, we have no parliament of our own , all the others have theirs, supported by handouts from us,

os5889

Quote from: epsomraver on May 23, 2010, 12:18:24 PM
The real problem is that the English race has lost it's  identity,  you cannot be English, try putting that down on a travel visa, we have no parliament of our own , all the others have theirs, supported by handouts from us,

I agree with this, and also the point of land of hope and glory and Jerusalem being a great idea for an english anthem. They are great songs that are quintessetinally english.
Also, I cant stand nationalist politicians preaching how their countries people needs more money than anothers. Whilst we are centrally governed Alex Salmond and whatever the hell person who leads the Plaid Cymru are should shut up and get on with it, how anyone can have the cheek to demand more taxpayers money than another I do not know!

alfie

And of course i think that God save the Queen is extremly boring, i am afraid it is not very insperational.
Flower of Scotland is so uplifting even i can't help joining in and i am totaly English.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

LBNo11

...alfie, I totally agree that God Save The Queen is totally un-inspirational and hearkens back to a colonial age when Britain had an empire, the words are meaningless, but that is all we have.

If you changed the national anthem would it become a British national anthem or are we allowed an English national anthem without it being labled jingoistic.

'Flower of Scotland' and the Welsh 'Land Of My Fathers' are uplifting and inspirational anthems that portray two nations that indicate a separate culture and identity to England; it is a shame that the English cannot have a truly meaningful anthem; but I think that that will never happen as the words would have to be written in such a way that there could be no connotations of past glories or hopes for the future as England has been 'swallowed up' by the United Kingdom/Britain and has lost its individual identity.

Anyway I have hi-jacked my own thread and am demanding it be flown to Cuba - now what is the national anthem of Cuba.. :022:
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: LBNo11 on May 23, 2010, 07:39:07 PM
...alfie, I totally agree that God Save The Queen is totally un-inspirational and hearkens back to a colonial age when Britain had an empire, the words are meaningless, but that is all we have.

If you changed the national anthem would it become a British national anthem or are we allowed an English national anthem without it being labled jingoistic.

'Flower of Scotland' and the Welsh 'Land Of My Fathers' are uplifting and inspirational anthems that portray two nations that indicate a separate culture and identity to England; it is a shame that the English cannot have a truly meaningful anthem; but I think that that will never happen as the words would have to be written in such a way that there could be no connotations of past glories or hopes for the future as England has been 'swallowed up' by the United Kingdom/Britain and has lost its individual identity.

Anyway I have hi-jacked my own thread and am demanding it be flown to Cuba - now what is the national anthem of Cuba.. :022:
Just of the top of my head i'd say the Cuban National anthem is El Himno De bayamo  :dft011:

os5889

Back to the anthem subject, I do love the South African and Irish rugby anthems both examples of uniting nations and people that I most loves! :045:

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: os5889 on May 23, 2010, 08:48:45 PM
Back to the anthem subject, I do love the South African and Irish rugby anthems both examples of uniting nations and people that I most loves! :045:
A programme on now, about how a child is raped every 3 minutes in South Africa. lovely people.

CorkedHat

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on May 23, 2010, 09:11:51 PM
Quote from: os5889 on May 23, 2010, 08:48:45 PM
A programme on now, about how a child is raped every 3 minutes in South Africa. lovely people.

And how Capetown has more murders per annum than New York and Chicago put together. And we're worried about our Commonwealth Games competitors going to India.
Mind you one look at Rooney's boat race and it will frighten a Zulu.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us