News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Anyone know anything about Sky, installations, how to work it etc?

Started by Admin, May 26, 2010, 08:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

Help needed please!

I currently have two Sky boxes. One down stairs which is my main sky box and one upstairs which is a multi-room. I've been with Sky about 5+ years now, are paying £51 per month, have all the channels apart from Movies and my boxes are stanndard digital not Sky plus or HD.

I called Sky today because I have been loyal and explained to them that I still have their standard boxes, can't record anything and have no HD but are still paying £51 quid a month. What can you do?

Last time I applied to have Sky Plus, they told me they wanted £50 per box so I told them to stick it!! Cheek of it...

Any way, the woman in the sales asked me if I have HD downstairs and upstairs. I said I have a HD T.V downstairs but not one upstairs and she said this is not a problem.

After tapping away on her special computer looking for special deals she said that she can do me a free HD box for downstairs with free install but the subscription to all the HD channels is an extra £10 per month, free for the first 6 months but you will be locked into a new 1 years contract.

As for upstairs, she said we can do you a HD box which is a bit like Sky plus, its not free but you will have to pay a one off installation charge of £29.99..

I said to the woman, this really isn't getting me any where is it? I said I couldn't really give a toss about HD, all I want to do is just maybe record and get my package down a bit by £10 a month at least give me that. All you've done is tap me up for another £29.99 on my bill and increased my subscription by £10 a month, what gives?!?

I asked the woman if they just do Sky Plus, I'll pay for both boxes if you can reduce my bill a bit. The woman said to me point blank NO, SORRY. I can reduce your bill by £10 per month as a good will gesture but in her own words she said to me thats all your getting.  :026:

Now, after the rather long story above, I want to know if I can do the following! Both my current digital boxes with Sky are out of warranty. As I said, I've been with them for about 5 years so after the 1st years contact I never renewed so if anything happens I'm screwed any way!

I've noticed on Ebay, that people are selling Sky Plus boxes after upgrading to Sky HD. If I bought a couple of these boxes, plugged them into the upstairs, downstairs TV's, swapped the cards over, informed Sky of the serial numbers would they have it? I know the boxes wouldn't be covered if they fooked up but thats the last of my worries.

Also, because I've just got stannard Sky Digital, will the Sky Plus boxes work. P.S, I've already got Sky Plus cabling installed just incase I wanted to upgrade.

Dugliss

You could`ve done it a few years ago but I think they`ve managed to stop people doing it now. With all the competition out now you should have a good look around, you might get a better deal somewhere else. I`ve always found that the only way to get what you want from sky is to give your months notice to quit and before the end of that month they`ll have contacted you at least once and you can usually get pretty much the deal that you want. Same as mobiles, they seem to give better things to potential new customers rather than looking after the ones they`ve already got

Admin

Quote from: Dugliss on May 26, 2010, 09:24:44 PM
You could`ve done it a few years ago but I think they`ve managed to stop people doing it now. With all the competition out now you should have a good look around, you might get a better deal somewhere else. I`ve always found that the only way to get what you want from sky is to give your months notice to quit and before the end of that month they`ll have contacted you at least once and you can usually get pretty much the deal that you want. Same as mobiles, they seem to give better things to potential new customers rather than looking after the ones they`ve already got

Thanks Dugliss. I'm concidering moving to Virgin where they will include broadband, telephone line, a mobile and pretty much the same package as Sky gives me now with their type recording box.

The Equalizer

Get in touch with a local supplier of satellite television installations. They all have contracts with Sky and can often do very good deals, sometimes better than Sky themselves. Plus, if you speak to the right bloke he might be able to wangle something for you on the snide.

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

finnster01

Call the cable guy, sit on your sofa, get the shotgun out, and ask him what kind of deal he can do for you.

If it works for Vinnie Jones it should work for you too
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: finnster01 on May 28, 2010, 12:04:08 AM
Call the cable guy, sit on your sofa, get the shotgun out, and ask him what kind of deal he can do for you.

If it works for Vinnie Jones it should work for you too

I was thinking more of the Jim Carey movie Finny  :dft012: . But yep threatening the bloke with a shotgun may help as well.